WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Section Hike Forum

Is there a Section Hike Forum? I have searched in all the forums, but have not found anything just for section hikes. The only thing I have found are specific section hikes within the General Forum.

In my humble opinion, I think a Forum devoted to section hikes by state would allow members to post section hike reports which will help others looking for similar hikes. It may help elevate many questions regarding where to go, how to get there, shuttles, parking, etc.

Check out Blissful's forum on Facebook. (Appalachian Trail Section Hikers.)

I agree that there should be a Section Hiker's forum. There are a lot of us, many highly experienced, and I feel this form of hiking is underrated.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by awcwo View Post
    Is there a Section Hike Forum? I have searched in all the forums, but have not found anything just for section hikes. The only thing I have found are specific section hikes within the General Forum.
    In my humble opinion, I think a Forum devoted to section hikes by state would allow members to post section hike reports which will help others looking for similar hikes. It may help elevate many questions regarding where to go, how to get there, shuttles, parking, etc.
    Philip Werner has an excellent and very informative site on section hiking (Google section hiker) however it's not connected to Whiteblaze.

Quote Originally Posted by Madpaddy View Post
    Philip Werner has an excellent and very informative site on section hiking (Google section hiker) however it's not connected to Whiteblaze.
    Werner's a hack! His site is mainly hikes around his home area of New Hampshire. What really ticks me off are his gear reviews. If you comment with a different (negative) opinion, he will not post the comment. For objective gear reviews, check out Trailspace.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

99% of at hikers are section hikers or day hikers.

Learn how to search. Another forum wont create more information, or categorize existing information. what is wanted already exists in th existing forums most likely IF searched for.

That said, the sites search function is atrocious and you must use google.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-12-2016 at 10:12.

My though was to create a repository of section hikes which could be referenced and updated periodically.

Journal Entries

My though was to create a repository of section hikes which could be referenced and updated periodically.
    Why?

Because we need more people that want want to hike someone elses hike?
    People that are afraid to not know what to expect every inch of the way?
    Up to date shelter conditions? Trail conditions?

The trail doesnt need any more people like that. The experience is already too watered down by technology and services.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-12-2016 at 10:18.

There ARE, in my opinion specific issues to section hiking, and I too think that if WB can have thru-hiker forums, it would clearly be appropriate. That said, last year about this time two of us tried to push the issue, made lists of the things that would be on-topic, and even volunteered to moderate the forum (both of us had experience in moderating forums not on WB) ..... we were shot down and put in our place. THEREFORE, the best I can offer is a "good luck to you". Don't get your hopes up, and have a GREAT day. PS. to MuddyWaters comment "99% of at hikers are section hikers or day hikers." ..section hikers and day hikers have very little in common.

Thumbs up on "section hikers and day hikers have very little in common." That said, section hikers are more numerous than thrus, and a section hike forum makes sense. Why would WB want to drive a large portion of its readership to other sites, or force them to "search", in order to find the info they are looking for? Seems like a simple customer service question.

This topic has been thrashed out at least once before on Whiteblaze. I have been a section hiker since 2006, and any topics I've addressed have been satisfactorily answered here, especially those on logistics (getting to and from the trail), which are pretty much specific to section hiking. Gear, clothing and food, hostels and shelters (and so much more) are important for both section hikers and thru-hikers.

IMO there aren't any issues that can not be covered under the GENERAL forum tab. Logistics of section hiking are FAR more detailed the thru hiking.

Thu hiking - you worry about getting to Terminus A and Home from terminus B.

Section Hiking - You repeat every time you go out.

Personally I have successfully completed 800 miles while using Whiteblaze as a resource without needing a section hiker specific tab.

Other then logistics, a thru hiker is going to need to pitch his Tarp the same way a section hiker does, boil his ramen the same and walk do the trail the same.

Rant Begins:
    What bugs me is several things from the "section Hiker POV of Whiteblaze"
    "I'm going on a section hike between springer and NOC" so I go thru every shelter sub tab and ask "how's the water here??" Then I start 10 threads on very specific subjects that could found by using a little research. I am not fully exempt from this action, but I definitely use some moderation on the subject of flooding the forum list.

Another thing is for me personally as a section hiker, I have found it very easy to overshoot my goal and when I fall short I feel that the trip has been a failure, so these days if at all possible I try not to choose an exact end destination until the day before the last day. Thus, never really feeling like a fell short.

Main thing is to just get out there walk. Never not never had I turned around the bend of the trail, experienced something and gone "gosh darn it!!! if only I had started a thread on this in the section hiker forum of Whiteblaze I would be prepared right now!!"

Whiteblaze helps me pass the time while at the office lol
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I just assumed the entire website was a section hiking forum, and only one forum was dedicated to thru hikers. Granted, people aren't very good about limiting their questions to topics that only involve thru hikes. There's a section on shelters as well, which is super specific.

It seems that people get the best responses when they supply a detailed and specific subject line when creating a new post, and what folder they put it in doesn't matter all that much.

I really don't see a difference between a section and thru hiker; section hikers have my permission to post in the thru-hiker forum

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    I just assumed the entire website was a section hiking forum, and only one forum was dedicated to thru hikers..
    Bingo

Its all the same except arranging shuttles. If you cant figure that out from awols guide and the ATC shuttle page, I dont know what to say. Still.......many dont check the resources, they ask because the other is too much work.

I agree. Most hikers on here I would be willing to bet are section hikers. I tried a thru and felt I was pretty prepared from searching thru WB. I see both sides of the story. Thru hikers need time and it's not really much different in my eyes except maybe going a little lighter. Section hiking you might take a little more, costs are greatly increased, and the logistics (if you're planning on sectioning the entire AT) are beyond my capability. That's about it really. The rest like how's the water, where to get food... come on, it's an adventure is it not?
    - Trail name: Thumper

Next thing you know section hikers will have to stop posting on thru-hiking subjects.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

I'll likely always be a section hiker. Oddly, I've never felt disenfranchised here by being one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    Werner's a hack! His site is mainly hikes around his home area of New Hampshire. What really ticks me off are his gear reviews. If you comment with a different (negative) opinion, he will not post the comment. For objective gear reviews, check out Trailspace.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    I'm glad you said it and not me. How many times have I had a thorough and well-linked comment kicked off and censored from his site?? Twice, once for a discussion on the mishap of Kate Matrosova and once for linking up a Trailspace review to his review of a MSR tent. Ticked me off. Said something like he doesn't "outsource" his links or want Trailspace to be in his reviews. Very odd. Stops an intricate conversation---I call it censorship pure and simple.

Result? No more comments from me.

Images

IMHO, a section hike forum is a good idea. Sectionists have different needs than Thrus.
    Every time we hit the trail it's without having our trail legs.
    Our time is more limited by definition.
    Add the cost of getting to & from the trail EVERY time / section.
    I'm planning a section in April / May, have been reviewing videos of past Thrus, their "short distances between supply" Is much further than I can do with minimal time on trail. Yea, I got miles this year, but only have time for weekend trips on alternating weekends, & none of the hills like on the AT, what takes a Thru 4 or 5 days to do, I take 6 to 8 days, IF I'm hiking very well!!! IF!
    IF we are lucky, just as we are getting off the trail, our "trail legs" have barely started to kick in. Then we get to drive home.
    SO, yes I see a need for section hikers forums.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++