WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default NOC to Fontana Dam

About how many days to do this section? Is ten miles reasonable the first day, and has anyone camped at Locust Cove Gap?
    Many thanks!

2-3 days. I did it in 2.5, and left NOC after lunch on day one. Went to Sassafras Gap shelter on day 1 (half day), Cable Gap Shelter on day 2, and then got to Fontana marina well before lunch on day 3. If you left early on day 1 you could pretty easily get to the halfway point and find a tent site. I seem to remember places to camp right before Stecoah Gap.

Images

Figure three days. There are a couple of climbs that will get your attention, including the climb out of NOC. I'd probably want to get water at Sassafras Shelter and camp on top of Cheoah Bald for the views the first night. I don't recall how far that is, but it's less than ten miles.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Most of us stopped at a he first shelter out of the NOC, it's a pretty gnarly climb and it was pouring rain on us that day.

Platypus

Journal Entries

Depends on person. 3 days/2 nights is very conservative. 2 days isnt hard. I met a couple guys at fontana once that bailed and didnt finish it...go figure. If you have experience, its just average really, in spite of a couple climbs. Ive done it in 1.5 days a couple times. Its only about 29 miles.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-12-2016 at 23:56.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Ive done it in 1.5 days a couple times. Its only about 29 miles.
    What I have learned is that when people ask "how many days", or "how much food", they are unlikely to be able to hike 29 miles in 1.5 days. It takes some hiking experience to be able to do that, and once they get enough experience they don't need to come here and ask that question.

An inexperienced hiker would find that section very difficult to hike in 2 days.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I've just sectioned hiked the trail up to NOC to this point, and really should have asked what this section is like compared to the previous sections. 2.5 is about what we normally do for 30 miles, but am taking my son on his first hike so just trying to get a general idea of sorts. (1.5 would be moving. We did a couple of 20 mile days in GA/and entering into NC, but they were kind of long days).

Many thanks-

That section took the wind out my sails many years ago. Three long, tough days for me. I hear they've made it a bit easier since then. The climb out of NOC (northbound) goes on forever, but somehow the climb out of "Sweetwater Gap" was worse. On the last day I was overjoyed to get my first glimpse of Fontana Lake, but it was hours still before I made it to the shelter.

Some nice views, though, atop Cheoah Bald.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    What I have learned is that when people ask "how many days", or "how much food", they are unlikely to be able to hike 29 miles in 1.5 days. It takes some hiking experience to be able to do that, and once they get enough experience they don't need to come here and ask that question.

An inexperienced hiker would find that section very difficult to hike in 2 days.
    Which is why I cited examples of " did not complete", 3 days, and 2 days , and said it depends on person.

Last time was with my son when he was 15 yr old, no problem. The second day has no real climbs, and lots of flat and downhill.

Water gets scarce in late fall too.

My son going up jacobs ladder:

10167928_823929680969022_4822448737846238940_n.jpg
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-13-2016 at 12:21.

Journal Entries

Figure three days. There are a couple of climbs that will get your attention, including the climb out of NOC. I'd probably want to get water at Sassafras Shelter and camp on top of Cheoah Bald for the views the first night. I don't recall how far that is, but it's less than ten miles.
    I pay a lot of attention to this type post because it asks direct questions about specific places where I am going that I have never been. I especially appreciate answers like this one. Very informative. Thanks Ken...
    "Son, your level of competence is directly proportional to your mistakes, but don't hit that car coming" - My Dad while teaching me to drive

Journal Entries

I recalls its ~7 miles or so
    The issue with camping on cheoah from the south, is that you will be hiking only half day or so from noc.
    Its not large on top area thats open and flat. and you will often find someone else already there, so have plan B.

The climb up cheoah isnt that bad, just long. I encountered and talked to a group of three 65+ yr old women handling it fine. One was 71.

Are there any camping stops right after Chetah-does anyone know how the site at Locust Cove Gap is?

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I recalls its ~7 miles or so
    The issue with camping on cheoah from the south, is that you will be hiking only half day or so from noc.
    Its not large on top area thats open and flat. and you will often find someone else already there, so have plan B.

The climb up cheoah isnt that bad, just long. I encountered and talked to a group of three 65+ yr old women handling it fine. One was 71.

NOC is 1740 feet, Cheoah Bald summit is 5062 feet. That's a serious climb for a section hiker's first day out. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris10 View Post
    Are there any camping stops right after Cheoah - does anyone know how the site at Locust Cove Gap is?
    I'm very interested in this question/answer as well - this is the next section on my radar. My current plan, site unseen, is insert at NOC, hike 10 mi to Locust Cove Gap, 2nd night at Cable Gap Shelter (12 mile day), 3rd day 7 miles to Fontana & catch ride at visitor center. Comments/suggestions? Hoping to do this in early April.

That sounds like what we are thinking of doing as well. Just really depends on how the first day goes I guess. Hopefully some one has some experience with the sites Locust and Cable Gap. The last posting for the CG Sheleter in the Shelter section was back in '12. Would like to know what folks think of that shelter.

I did this section a few weeks ago- the plan was:
    NOC > Sassafras Gap
    Sassafras Gap > Cable Gap
    Cable Gap > Fontana Dam

I ended up doing Sassafras Gap to Fontana Hilton in one day. It wasn't a bad hike, really. But I'll say that although I was out of breath climbing up from NOC I didn't think it was any worse than any other climb at the beginning of a section. I was a little disappointed that I evidently completely missed whatever Jacob's ladder was.

I stopped at Cable Gap for dinner on my way to Fontana Hilton, though. It was fine. Sassafras Gap had dead mice, which is better than live mice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, I should add that the phone at the Fontana dam marina is horribly unreliable and switching the connections and warming them up seemed to help. Metal expansion, I guess. No cell service there, so this phone is your only hope. At the dam proper, I can't remember if there's a phone. The visitors center doesn't open until May, I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by la.lindsey View Post
    I was a little disappointed that I evidently completely missed whatever Jacob's ladder was.
    We spent most of the climb up Jacob's ladder debating whether we were actually on Jacob's ladder. Nothing to indicate it other than a pretty steep, short climb.

Locust Gap is just above Stecoah Gap and south of the gap and I eyeballed it on my different trips. It has water I believe and has a few good tentsites.

For those interested, this is the Cable Gap shelter site and I usually set up camp nearby in those dead leaves above the sitting guy.

I camped with 2006 thruhiker Amy Willow atop Cheoah Bald as shown. There's a water spring right below the bald if you know where to look.

And thanks MuddyWaters for the jacob ladder pic. It is north of Stecoah Gap and is rough.

Images

Probably 3 days if you're just starting. NOC -> Sassafras Gap/Cheoah Bald (depending on weather) -> Cable Gap -> Fontana seems reasonable.

I did it in 2 days, but I'd already been on the trail for a week. Even so, I still remember the 16 mi day from NOC to Brown Fork Gap as my toughest day ever on the AT. I was ready to stop by the time I got to the top of Cheoah Bald (~ 8 miles), but I was on a tight schedule and had to push through another 8 miles. I hit Jacob's Ladder at the end of the day on very tired legs, and it was a truly painful experience.

The Brown Fork Gap shelter was rather odd. There was a large hole right in the middle of the floor in the shelter, and the privy had a wheelchair ramp.
    It's all good in the woods.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++