WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by art_mapman View Post
    I'm very interested in this question/answer as well - this is the next section on my radar. My current plan, site unseen, is insert at NOC, hike 10 mi to Locust Cove Gap, 2nd night at Cable Gap Shelter (12 mile day), 3rd day 7 miles to Fontana & catch ride at visitor center. Comments/suggestions? Hoping to do this in early April.
    Its not impossible to get ride, but theres not much flow of traffic. Leaving, theres a couple ways to go, so you also need someone heading your direction.

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    We spent most of the climb up Jacob's ladder debating whether we were actually on Jacob's ladder. Nothing to indicate it other than a pretty steep, short climb.

Yep. Unremarkable ~800 ft climb. Just steady slight incline where you dont get a break. Looks steep on guidebook page due to scale, its not that bad except that it usually comes at end of day. Smart hikers rest, snack, and water for half hour or so at stecoah gap before continuing.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-14-2016 at 18:43.

Trying to get my terminology straight -- this Jacob's ladder -- is that the NOBO climb out of Sweetwater Gap?

I do remember that as a miserable climb but I don't recall it having a name.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Trying to get my terminology straight -- this Jacob's ladder -- is that the NOBO climb out of Sweetwater Gap?

Yes. No sign or any indication you are on it, and like MuddyWaters said, not as steep as the map profile makes it seem. While it is a good climb, it's not horrible.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post

elevation_0330.gif

Should be the little steep section around mile 149. This chart borrowed from joeliles.chunkyboy.com, totally without permission.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-14-2016 at 20:31.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    elevation_0330.gif

Should be the little steep section around mile 149. This chart borrowed from joeliles.chunkyboy.com, totally without permission.
    It's like you said, I hit it kinda late in the day, hoping to make it Cable Gap shelter, having wasted an hour or so at "Sweetwater Gap" looking for water and realizing I just wasn't going to make it. I was in a rotten, no-good mood. I remember thinking, "Haven't these people heard about switchbacks?"

Is there much water to be found between Locust Cove and Brown Fork Gap? Doesn't show any on the guide.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chris10 View Post
    Is there much water to be found between Locust Cove and Brown Fork Gap? Doesn't show any on the guide.
    Correct - No reliable water sources between Locust Cove and Brown Fork Gap.
    It's all good in the woods.

About how many days to do this section? Is ten miles reasonable the first day, and has anyone camped at Locust Cove Gap?
    Many thanks!
    I have camped at Locust Cove. Water is a short way to the west, camping is mostly to the east--several spots. I hiked half day to Locust Cove from NOC; next day to Cable Gap Shelter; last half day to Fontana Dam.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Its not impossible to get ride, but theres not much flow of traffic. Leaving, theres a couple ways to go, so you also need someone heading your direction.

I have an unfair advantage - wife will be chilling in Gatlinburg while I'm on the trail and she will come pick me up. Door to door (trailhead to door?) service, what's not to like?

About how many days to do this section? Is ten miles reasonable the first day, and has anyone camped at Locust Cove Gap?
    Many thanks!
    How many days will it take? How many days do you have? Make it take that long, spend the week taking it easy and camping extra nights. Why race to the end? Smell the roses and savor the moments. My two college age sons, their grandfather (pushing 80), will take about 5 days on this section in about a month.

My Grandson & I, who were thru-hiking but had to bail out at Hot Springs, walked this section recently. We left the NOC early on the morning of 3/22 and walked the 10.3 miles to Locust Cove Gap (not the greatest campsite, but not the worst either) there were 9-10 tents and hammocks there that night including us. We left Locust Cove Gap on the morning of 3/23 and walked 11.6 miles to Cable Gap Shelter, Jacobs Ladder was 4 miles from Locust Cove and a pretty big elev. gain in a short distance 600ft. in .6 miles but easy going after that! Spent the night at Cable Gap Shelter and left on the morning of 3/24 at 7:05 and we were at the Fontana Marina (NC 28 road crossing) at 10:30 after walking 5.5 miles. If I were you I would catch a ride from this point instead of the visitors center at the dam, we used the phone there at the bathrooms to call the Fontana Lodge Shuttle and he picked us up within 15 min. after calling! There was very little cell service (U.S. Cellular) from Cable Gap to Fontana!

Default Thanks

Thanks-great information! Plan on leaving the car at the dam so we'll have to hike on to it!

QUOTE=SAnVA;2057827]My Grandson & I, who were thru-hiking but had to bail out at Hot Springs, walked this section recently. We left the NOC early on the morning of 3/22 and walked the 10.3 miles to Locust Cove Gap (not the greatest campsite, but not the worst either) there were 9-10 tents and hammocks there that night including us. We left Locust Cove Gap on the morning of 3/23 and walked 11.6 miles to Cable Gap Shelter, Jacobs Ladder was 4 miles from Locust Cove and a pretty big elev. gain in a short distance 600ft. in .6 miles but easy going after that! Spent the night at Cable Gap Shelter and left on the morning of 3/24 at 7:05 and we were at the Fontana Marina (NC 28 road crossing) at 10:30 after walking 5.5 miles. If I were you I would catch a ride from this point instead of the visitors center at the dam, we used the phone there at the bathrooms to call the Fontana Lodge Shuttle and he picked us up within 15 min. after calling! There was very little cell service (U.S. Cellular) from Cable Gap to Fontana![/QUOTE]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++