WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

I guess I shouldn't reply here, but can't resist. I just returned from a short CO mountain overnight where I left the trailhead with over 60 pounds. For a 30-hour trip! Tipi would be proud.

But "UL" is relative, because I was still "UL", because I was probably at least 10 pounds lighter than anyone else. So maybe Tipi would actually be disappointed....

It was a high altitude mountaineering class trip with ropes, harnesses, 0 degree bag, mountaineering tent, shovel, avy probe, snowshoes, crampons, ice axe, 2nd ice tool, the works. I also carried a group "kitchen" shelter (see pic of our kitchen dug into eight feet of snowpack...). Oh yeah, I also carried liter of wine to share (again, see folks enjoying the wine in the pic). I guess I wasn't UL after all with the wine and the extra shelter. Or was I?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Snow bar, love it.

Quote Originally Posted by martinb View Post
    Walter, Yikes! Did someone deliberately torch it or...? I think someone tried to pry my pillar open on my last hike up there. Must have gotten spooked because everything was intact when I arrived. Might have to start coming up NG trail and keeping off Skyway. Not too keen on wolf laurel parking, either.
    Deliberately torched, culprits unknown. Not my car, though.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    I guess I shouldn't reply here, but can't resist. I just returned from a short CO mountain overnight where I left the trailhead with over 60 pounds. For a 30-hour trip! Tipi would be proud.
    60 lbs for a 30 hour trip is wonderful and I am very proud. As noted, we carried similar loads for our Pisgah trips and gathered all sorts of willing or unwilling backpackers. I like your pic, Colorado Rob---the top tipi looks like an old Chouinard pyramid or megamid---now probably black diamond.

Here's a typical Pisgah cluster taken around 1990---backpacking trip, folks. Not car camping. Back in the days when kids actually left the house and their handheld devices to enter the actual woods. When kids were actually happy to be outside.

Keeping the Pisgah tradition alive---this time in 2006 on Upper Creek at the swimhole.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    ---the top tipi looks like an old Chouinard pyramid or megamid---now probably black diamond.

... Back in the days when kids actually left the house and their handheld devices to enter the actual woods. When kids were actually happy to be outside.
    Very cool classic pics of people truly enjoying themselves!

Yep, BD megamid, very popular in the mountaineering community. And note the prevalence of Arcteryx Jackets? Of the 21 total of us, I bet 15 had Arcteryx. Best there is.

And finally, "kids" being happy to be outside is very much still alive and well ! I don't remember seeing a single phone being browsed on the entire trip (though probably were in the tents at night), even though most of the group were 20-somethings. 20-somethings are "kids" by my perspective....

Yep, BD megamid, very popular in the mountaineering community. And note the prevalence of Arcteryx Jackets? Of the 21 total of us, I bet 15 had Arcteryx. Best there is.
    I love me some Arcteryx! Best there is.

But "UL" is relative, because I was still "UL", because I was probably at least 10 pounds lighter than anyone else. So maybe Tipi would actually be disappointed....

It was a high altitude mountaineering class trip with ropes, harnesses, 0 degree bag, mountaineering tent, shovel, avy probe, snowshoes, crampons, ice axe, 2nd ice tool, the works. I also carried a group "kitchen" shelter (see pic of our kitchen dug into eight feet of snowpack...). Oh yeah, I also carried liter of wine to share (again, see folks enjoying the wine in the pic). I guess I wasn't UL after all with the wine and the extra shelter. Or was I?
    Now that's a good trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered User FooFooCuddlyPoops's Avatar
    Images

For a 4-5 day trip with tough terrain, I would guess 25lbs. This is with gear that isn't expensive but is lighter weight than your classic newb purchases.

For a 4-5 day trip with easy terrain, low miles, I rarely focus on weight. I will probably have a base weight of 15 lbs, and food galoreee for pure pig out times.

My base weight is about 13 lbs for summer. For spring I might throw more insulation (sleeping clothes, a fleece, etc..) which might bring it up to 15 lbs. For three day, let's say 6 lbs of food and fuel. Water is quite variable. If both of my 20 oz Gatorade bottles are full they wight about 3 lbs. That's a total of 24 lbs. If I have to fill both 900 ml water bladders for a dry camp, that's an extra 4 lbs.

I love how you always accompany pics with your post. I enjoy seeing your campsites. I also enjoy your posts!

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Oh how I wish I had pics of our 1970s camps in Pisgah NF. People weren't such wimps back then, and we carried bow saws and walmart tarps, big walmart tarps, (or were they Kmart tarps??). I didn't eat meat but my buddies did and they humped in large cans of Dinty Moore, as below, and cooked them right on the fire. These were standard-load items in the old days.

This is not my pic. It is from---
    http://www.cycoactive.com/Adventure/...ethief-99-1999

Here is one of our old vintage camps on Upper Creek in Pisgah NF. Did we worry about humping gear? Oh hell no. Check out the water bottle of fruit juice by Jodal. Check out the big conga drum hauled in by one of us idiots. Check out Jodal holding the Mighty Mite. And god help me but barely visible behind and to the left of Jodal is a white canvas tipi cover I hauled in to set up in camp. We were motards but we had fun. The tipi was hellishly heavy.
    Life is not about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself.

So I'm confused. If you are not trying to be UL, why do you care about the weight? But to answer your question, I might have an 9-12 pound base weight, 4.5-6.5 pounds of food, and would typically start hiking with 2.5 pounds of water (2 x 20oz bottles). So the math looks like about 16 to 21 pounds pack weight for 3-4 days in Spring. If I were going UL, base weight would be 7-8 pounds and the rest the same.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    So I'm confused. If you are not trying to be UL, why do you care about the weight? But to answer your question, I might have an 9-12 pound base weight, 4.5-6.5 pounds of food, and would typically start hiking with 2.5 pounds of water (2 x 20oz bottles). So the math looks like about 16 to 21 pounds pack weight for 3-4 days in Spring. If I were going UL, base weight would be 7-8 pounds and the rest the same.
    true.....I guess I'm in a class all to myself! I don't own a lil digital scale but I'm very conscientious of what I carry!! Strange!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++