WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

There are quite few dogs in the whites as it is very popular day hike destination and I expect that applies to many popular sections of the AT. Many of the northbound thruhiker dogs (who generally are quite well behaved by the time they get here) are already off the trail and every year a few end up having to go off trail or holed up in town for a few days due the very abrasive rock in the northern presidentials and the Mahoosucs. Folks swear up and down that their dogs pads are toughened up from hiking from GA but many dogs in general and on occasion thru hiker dogs end up wearing their pads off in a couple of days.

I find that hiking with poles really cuts down on dog issues. In general most dogs keep a bit of clearance when someone has poles. I wouldn't arbitrarily strike out at a dog unless the owner has no control and the dog is actively attacking but I have over the years have had to swing at a few that I suspect were not thru hiker dogs.

Journal Entries

Default dogs on trail

Quote Originally Posted by Miel View Post
    Wow.

And I have no issue with hitting a human with a pole, maybe something heavier, should that human hurt my dog.

Thanks for the warning that you'll be on the AT - hopefully not the same time as me.

Dog owners - watch out for this violent OP.

Stay home You are just baiting people into reactive responses!

Quote Originally Posted by kibs View Post
    Stay home You are just baiting people into reactive responses!

Not baiting at all. Quite serious in my response. I genuinely believe that the OP could be a menace to a defenseless animal. It is the humans we have to worry about.

Journal Entries

Sorry Miel,

the message was meant for the dog hater.

This thread is so ridiculous, shut it down, useless
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse74 View Post
    Not sure where you read VIOLENT. I would not savagely beat a dog unless I was being under attack....again.
    Well it was the part where you said "I have no issue hitting a dog with a pole that noses me" I do appreciate that you responded to clarify.

While we're on the subject, although I am a dog lover, I don't want unfamiliar dogs running up to me (and to my leashed dog) while I'm on trail. The best solution I've found is to simply place my trekkjng pole between myself and a dog as it approaches, just having the pole between us is enough to get the vast majority of dogs to respect my space and since I do it casually, most owners don't even notice what I'm doing.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Good lord it was an honest question and at NO time did I EVER say i would be violent with an animal. I was savagely attacked by a dog as a child and had 5 surgeries to fix my ****ing face. I have a serious fear of dogs and dont want to be on a trail having an epic panic attack. get a ****ing grip. At no time was my question insightful. re read the OP

I honestly think I have more fear from rabid fanatical animal owners than their dogs. Ability to blow things WAY out of proportion is epic.

I did read your OP and it seems your statement of striking a dog that noses you was interpreted as a threat of violence. You just recently joined the forum so you probably haven't seen a dog thread before. Unfortunately this topic more than perhaps any other has an unshakable tendency to devolve into threats of violence between people who have never met and other useless banter. I agree with Gambit, shut 'er down before we're saying the same thing on page 10+.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse74 View Post
    Good lord it was an honest question and at NO time did I EVER say i would be violent with an animal. I was savagely attacked by a dog as a child and had 5 surgeries to fix my ****ing face.
    You have a legit question and asked and explained it in a legit way. It's the aggressively over-reactionary replies that demonstrate where the problem lays. Calling you names ("dog-hater") and telling you that you are a violent problem? Such personal attacks are in violation of the WB user agreement.

The thread shouldn't be closed, but those personal attack posts should be deleted.
    Last edited by Rain Man; 03-14-2016 at 13:39.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Closing thread at request of OP.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++