WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Corrosion on Leki poles

I somehow managed to put up my Leki Corklite poles still wet after cleaning them and they corroded on the inside of the middle segment and outside of the lower segment. I have tried wiping them down to remove the corrosion but it is pretty bad. As an indication of how bad they are corroded, it took 3 people and a pair of pliers to get the two sections apart.

Does anyone know of a way to clean/stop the corrosion? Or am I out of luck?

Journal Entries

CLP or another gun cleaner and lubricant will work to remove the corrosion and prevent corrosion.

Images

Suggest you google "Leki Buffalo NY" to access their US customer service number for advice. Their customer service is top notch and they may have a recommendation.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Images

Just about all metals corrode. Leki says you should separate and clean your poles (including the inside) regularly, but do NOT lubricate. Obviously, you want them to grip and stay put when you adjust and tighten them. Lubrication would work the opposite.

What kind of corrosion are you getting? Are you sure it's corrosion that is the problem with separating the poles? I've had a problem separating clean poles when I've over-tightened them.

Leki gives great service via phone and mail if you have a warranty problem.
    Last edited by Rain Man; 03-14-2016 at 13:46.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

It is corrosion for sure, white flaky spots that you can wipe down but cant remove. I emailed Leki to see what they recommend but have not heard back yet.

Leaving poles wet after a hike is the death of Lekis. Even if you can remove the corrosion on the outside of the pole section the inside is very hard to get clean. I also believe the apply coating to the outside of the pole sections and once that is gone the corrosion will come back

++ New Posts ++