WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

I am sure many of the relationships are important, and I have no doubt I will meet a few that will impact my life hopefully in good ways, but my dream was never to hike the trail and make friends, it was to hike he Appalachian Trail.

My editor is a good person, I am trusting her judgment, she is the boss after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Acacia View Post

The thing is, the people make the trail, at least the AT.

I'm beginning to see the wisdom of your boss putting a not-into-people person, on a two-foot wide path, inevitably coming across fellow hikers she won't be able to ignore.

I like your boss
    Life is not about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Smoky Spoon View Post
    I am sure many of the relationships are important, and I have no doubt I will meet a few that will impact my life hopefully in good ways, but my dream was never to hike the trail and make friends, it was to hike he Appalachian Trail.

My editor is a good person, I am trusting her judgment, she is the boss after all.
    not that any story about the trail is worth reading, but a story without the people of the trail??? all i remember is the people i met. many i still talk to and would not pass through their town without seeing.
    Last edited by kayak karl; 03-19-2016 at 18:17.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    not that any story about the trail is worth reading, but a story without the people of the trail??? all i remember is the people i met. many i still talk to and would not pass through their town without seeing.
    I'm the opposite. I've read enough AT books and trail journals to say that I'd be happy if I never again read about Bear Spray, Snickers, Poops-in-the-Night, or any of the myriad of "trail names" and their exploits. To my eyes, it's incredibly redundant, boring, and mostly juvenile. For a nice change, I'd like to read observations about the geology of the trail, forest variations, insightful thoughts on the impacts people and pollution are having, encroachment by subdivisions, town, and cities -- almost anything but yet another entry on the excruciating minutiae of how Sweet Ass is dealing with a dead cell battery, FooFoo missing her boyfriend, or the millionth entry about eating a gallon of ice cream.

Thank you, i agree. I am sure I will meet many people who will become lifelong friends, and I am sure I will treasure their friendship, but yes, the emotional journey of the trail and the people and their idiosyncrasies has been so overdone. The trail itself is what people say they dreamed of hiking, never had you heard someone claim, "I am hiking the trail because all my life I dreamed of meeting a multitude of characters." Usually it is "I am hiking the trail because I dreamed of doing it for so many years, I want to see the different places and experience life in a new way...."

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I'm the opposite. I've read enough AT books and trail journals to say that I'd be happy if I never again read about Bear Spray, Snickers, Poops-in-the-Night, or any of the myriad of "trail names" and their exploits. To my eyes, it's incredibly redundant, boring, and mostly juvenile. For a nice change, I'd like to read observations about the geology of the trail, forest variations, insightful thoughts on the impacts people and pollution are having, encroachment by subdivisions, town, and cities -- almost anything but yet another entry on the excruciating minutiae of how Sweet Ass is dealing with a dead cell battery, FooFoo missing her boyfriend, or the millionth entry about eating a gallon of ice cream.
    Life is not about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself.

Images

This thread has set a new standard for drift.

And here I thought you wanted to be friends....lol
    you had me at hello.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

One of the reasons that I continue to like Bryson's book so much is because of his inclusion of background research about the history and geology of the trail. He may not have told much truthfully about an actual hike, but he did give a decent and entertaining account of the trail's background info. I've since read a half dozen books that are point a to point b accounts of a thru hike and much like you I've found that those accounts have become totally stale.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Thank you, i agree. I am sure I will meet many people who will become lifelong friends, and I am sure I will treasure their friendship, but yes, the emotional journey of the trail and the people and their idiosyncrasies has been so overdone. The trail itself is what people say they dreamed of hiking, never had you heard someone claim, "I am hiking the trail because all my life I dreamed of meeting a multitude of characters." Usually it is "I am hiking the trail because I dreamed of doing it for so many years, I want to see the different places and experience life in a new way...."
    Yeah- you guys have been there and done that. But it's a first time for somebody (including you, once upon a time). One day we will all be bored and jaded, alas.

And that-(meant to quote ABOVE)

OK- think I got it now.

Images

For a nice change, I'd like to read observations about the geology of the trail, forest variations, insightful thoughts on the impacts people and pollution are having, encroachment by subdivisions, town, and cities -- almost anything but yet another entry on the excruciating minutiae of how Sweet Ass is dealing with a dead cell battery, FooFoo missing her boyfriend, or the millionth entry about eating a gallon of ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    One of the reasons that I continue to like Bryson's book so much is because of his inclusion of background research about the history and geology of the trail.

Speaking of geology and relationships, how about combining the two :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF0iC6DXMQ8
    Last edited by Acacia; 03-21-2016 at 03:36.

Lifetime Section Hiker Berry Belle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post

I actually learned a Google search function from someone describing to a questioner how to find their answer, by using the "site:whiteblaze.net" command. I appreciated their sharing their wisdom.

Ever hear of the adage "Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man how to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime"?
    Thank you, Rain Man! I didn't know about the site search operator. I went to Google and Googled it. Tried it out by typing "tent site:whiteblaze.net" and got a nifty list of threads with the word "tent" in the subject line. SOOO much better than the WB search! Maybe I can avoid asking some of those annoying questions now.
    "Are we there yet?"

Hasnt asking people to search been said before?
    Think about that for a min....

lol

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Barricade View Post
    Hasnt asking people to search been said before?
    Think about that for a min....

lol
    maybe do a search to find out.

Images

Berry Belle, you are very welcome! RM

Quote Originally Posted by Berry Belle View Post
    Thank you, Rain Man! I didn't know about the site search operator. I went to Google and Googled it. Tried it out by typing "tent site:whiteblaze.net" and got a nifty list of threads with the word "tent" in the subject line. SOOO much better than the WB search! Maybe I can avoid asking some of those annoying questions now.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    "site:whiteblaze.net"
    RM, it works! A great way to do searches. thanks!

no question is stupid. Or so our elementary teachers once said. However, they do get repetitive. If it is a question that is "lazy" or repetitive" why open the thread? Who is holding a gun to anyone's head to open every thread and police it? I am new to the boards but my observation is...people are not dicks and pricks out on the trail and life is just relaxed and happy. The atmosphere on this forum different. The amount of trail/forum trolls and contentious people is startling. Bottom line, hike your own hike and read your what you want to read.

If every time when growing up I was't told to "look it up" I'd never be the well rounded individual I am today.

I wonder how anyone managed to hike the AT before there was an Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    I wonder how anyone managed to hike the AT before there was an Internet.
    right! Gosh fer bid, we might even have been book learnt, oh the desgrace.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++