WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Food drop in 100 MW question

I will be hiking Katahdin to NY/CT border leaving early August. I will be getting a food drop from the AT lodge 1/2 way thru the 100 MW and my questions are; 1. Best location for drop (I believe there are 2) 2. How does this work? Is there a specific site for this purpose. Should I place my food in a plastic bag? Any other words of advise about this? Thanks for your help!

How the drop works depends on the provider, if they are dropping the food and leaving it somewhere they may supply you with a five gallon bucket or similar container to leave the food in. Other providers will actually set a time and place to come out and meet you with the food. In that case you may just leave it in a plastic bag or stuff sack with them.

I used the Lakeshore House as a NOBO which unfortunately is no longer an option. As far as location I won't post exactly where because they didn't want it to be publicly available information and I don't know if other providers still use that spot. But it suffices to say it was about halfway through. If I were starting as a SOBO without trail legs I may want the drop a little past the halfway point because the first half going that way is much easier so the miles will come quicker. On a related note may I highly suggest planning a night at Antlers campsite in the HMW, probably my #1 campsite of the hike.

Journal Entries

I got one from Lake Shore House in Monson (right before the 100 MW heading NoBo). The way they do it, or did it, is they give you a 5 gal bucket, you fill it up and close it, give it back, they tell you where/how to find it. You hike to it, find it, open it, take out contents and place in trash, reseal and hike on. No plastic bag unless you want it. Also no cost for me, it was a gift.

My advice would be ask the AT lodge how they do it, and what they suggest if they have 2 drop points.

It is also a bot of a unnerving feeling to have to find it, with the what if it's not there going though your head, but also a lot lighter and more comfortable to travel with less weight in the pack.

Images

We were going NOBO, but it should time out nicely for SOBO, but anyway, we had our DELIVERED (not dropped, which I think has gone away since last year....) to us on Kokadjo B Road, about 63 miles from Katahdin. We used Shaw's in Monson, who does do an actually delivery, where they meet you in person and hand over your stash. They gave us a bucket, which we filled at Shaw's. Of course being delivered to us, we had to keep to a time schedule, and cell coverage to change this was sparse. We knew our speed though through long experience, and this was no problem. Going SOBO, after Katahdin, the terrain is easy-peasy to this location, you should be able to work this out.

This is all assuming no one is able to do actual drops (where they leave a bucket for you and go away) anymore. Get ready for some rants/raves about this... big topic last summer!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mattjv89 View Post
    ... On a related note may I highly suggest planning a night at Antlers campsite in the HMW, probably my #1 campsite of the hike.
    My wife claimed that our night at Antlers was her very favorite all-time camp night, and she's done hundreds of nights in a tent. It was definitely in my top 10. fantastic place, and we hit it perfectly. Stop at Antlers.

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

Jo-Mary Road worked out well...

Journal Entries

When we do the HMW, we are thinking of leaving our rental car parked at JoMary Rd, with our food resupply and some fresh clothes. It will cost us more in shuttles, but gives us more flexibility. We could even leave the trail for a town trip if we wanted to.

If I recall correctly, there's a busy trailhead on Katahdin Iron Works Road. (30 miles north of Monson.) Might be useful info. Or not.

I mean, it blew my mind that there would be a busy trailhead anywhere in the HMW.

Images

As you have heard, Shaw's and the AT Lodge both provide food drop-offs in the HMW. If you contact either, they would be more than happy to explain their process. If you do not already have a ride to Katahdin, you might also consider contacting the AT Lodge for shuttles, lodging, etc. You can't go wrong with either of these companies. I am not discounting Lakeshore House in any way - I have never used their services except to eat in their restaurant.

Jo Mary is close to the half-way point, but you really could use either Jo Mary or Katahdin Iron Works. The upshot of having a drop at Jo Mary is that you might be able to find another hiker who would be willing to share a bucket with you and split the costs.

AT Lodge - http://appalachiantraillodge.com/ser...at_food_drops/
    Shaw's - http://www.shawshikerhostel.com/

Quote Originally Posted by astafford View Post
    I will be hiking Katahdin to NY/CT border leaving early August. I will be getting a food drop from the AT lodge 1/2 way thru the 100 MW and my questions are; 1. Best location for drop (I believe there are 2) 2. How does this work? Is there a specific site for this purpose. Should I place my food in a plastic bag? Any other words of advise about this? Thanks for your help!
    The AT lodge is awesome. My hiking partner had a food drop from the lodge at Jo Mary Rd about 42 mi south from abol bridge. They will tell you how to locate the sealed 5 gal bucket. Antlers campsite is 4 miles before you reach Jo Mary. I don't recommend camping near Jo Mary Rd. The logging trucks tear through there all night long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does someone know if the Jo Mary Rd is open to anybody? If a friend can drive up there and meet me to do a ressuply ?

Jo Mary is a private logging road that the public can use for a fee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by readl View Post
    Does someone know if the Jo Mary Rd is open to anybody? If a friend can drive up there and meet me to do a ressuply ?
    It's a gated road, with fee, and the timing of a meeting would be problematic.
    AT Lodge and Shaws are both great contacts for info in the 100. And Whitehouse Landing is back in the mix too.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    It's a gated road, with fee, and the timing of a meeting would be problematic.
    AT Lodge and Shaws are both great contacts for info in the 100. And Whitehouse Landing is back in the mix too.
    Whitehouse Landing? Did they decide to reopen?

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    Did they decide to reopen?
    Ayup! Just ended their winter season early due to no snow.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    Ayup! Just ended their winter season early due to no snow.
    Wow - That's news! (Not the snow part... I have been quite happy with the lack of shoveling this winter) Looks like their listing expired, too. Do they have new contact information?

Images

Never mind - I see they are back in AWOL's Guide. Thanks for the heads-up!

That's AWESOME that WHL is open again! Phil and Linda were great!
    I used the Campground store @ Abol and I ate three huge meals at WHL while also buying some pack food so I didn't have to carry but two days of food in to the 100 then picking up three @ Jo Mary in a five gallon pale.
    Consider using Abol Bridge for an "on the spot meal", WHL for at least dinner and breakfast, maybe lunch, and buy some pack food and pick up your food drop on day four @ Jo Mary with maybe three to four days of food in it and walk out on day 6 or 7. Obviously your pace will determine your drop and how many days of food you carry but be smart. Unless you already have the "hiker hunger" you're body will not want to consume a ton of food until you get to Monson so why carry more than say three days worth @ a time knowing that Abol Bridge, WHL and food drops are all there for use?!
    Enjoy the 100 don't dread it with excessive amounts of food=pack weight. It is such a beautiful stretch of trail that has so many views and ponds/lakes that I see many can't enjoy it because of the burden on their backs!
    "I choose to carry very little, but that little is chosen with care." Earl V. Shaffer

++ New Posts ++