Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Dink, what stove are you carrying that is a combination?

A lovely little ti wood stove by Q-Wiz...has a little drop in piece for the solid blocks and a cat food can alcohol stove fits in it too...I love it because it is so versatile and I am a bit of a pyro so I love a fire, even if it is a tiny little thing!! The whole setup folds flatter than a pancake and weighs next to nothing...it fits in a zip lock lunch baggie.

Hammock hangers-I think I'm going to get a Hennessey Hammock ultralight. My question is...Are the tarps that typically come with hammocks big enough? They offer a free upgrade to a bigger(yet heavier) tarp for same price. I'm trying to keep my weight down.

I use a fairly small tarp in the summer and save the larger one for cold weather hanging or when I need extra privacy.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by doeontrail View Post
    Hammock hangers-I think I'm going to get a Hennessey Hammock ultralight. My question is...Are the tarps that typically come with hammocks big enough? They offer a free upgrade to a bigger(yet heavier) tarp for same price. I'm trying to keep my weight down.
    No, not big enough. I had read that on the forums when I was buying my Hennessey at 2008 Trail Days and mentioned it to Tom. He assured me it was big enough. Well, that was a big boldface lie, IMHO, based on several short trips. Apparently, they must have gotten a lot of complaints for them to offer a bigger tarp.

I ended up buying a mac-cat tarp at 2009 Trail Days and love it.
    Trillium

Images

All the women I know who bought HH ended up getting a larger tarp. I'm a MacCat and Warbonnet tarp fan.

http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/maccat_tarps.php

http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com

The rest of the group loves these tarps because they can pick the color

http://undergroundquilts.com/hangers/default.html

These tarps are a little more $ than HH tarp, but, they are lighter and will give you more coverage (think blowing rain)

Good luck on your buying quest, one of the most fun parts about the outdoors

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MamaSmurf View Post
    I have 4 email addresses at this point. 5 counting mine. That makes about half of those who have expressed serious interest so far. Looking forward to adding more names, and even more hikers..we still have lots of time before this hike starts!! I am glad you started this thread, doeontrail!!
    MamaSmurf, have you sent any emails? I am not receiving any. Let me know, thanks, R

Just got back from a weeks' trip to IN....checking my list in a minute here...hope you'll et something soon, if I somehow left you off.

Journal Entries

I'm beginning at TN/NC 1st of June 2016 and will be NOBO for one month. No designated end spot, but most likely just north of Damascus. Any females who would like some company. This is my first AT hike and first longer than a week backpacking trip. I will be trying to tent camp along the way near the shelters.

Have a grand time!! I am stuck at work until vacation time rolls around.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Ladies...it is just 9 weeks until we are wandering down the AT...time flies!!!

Are you a fast hiker? I'm definitely not and but then again, I started at Amicalola and made it about 5 miles the first day. Second day only hiked 4 hours as it was raining and the going was hard. Stopped at Black Gap Shelter. Made it to Springer on Day 3 about noon. Was spitting snow and freezing cold. Pushed on to Stover Creek for the night, where it did snow. Then Day 4, to Hawk Mtn Campsite. Day 5 I had to get off trail, Hightower Gap. Would really like to get back on there but don't want to hike alone this time.

Depends on the weather and the difficulty of the terrain...less in nasty weather of course, but usually I can figure on 10+ miles unless I am in more of a sightseeing mood!

Journal Entries
    Images

I wish I were up to your pace, maybe in the future as I am a Jersey girl too.
    Anyone of these ladies who is planning on being in The White Mountains from July 11-15, please let me know. I'd love some company.

I'm sure I'd be pretty slow in The Whites!! Especially if I started a section there. I hope to see them from the Trail someday, though.

You should have gotten some info on the Girls' Week hike from me.....I'm sure that with the number of ladies we have, there'll be someone to match every speed....

I have just joined your group and plan to make the trip with you. I live in central Indiana and would love to meet up with someone who is traveling on the way to Harper's Ferry. I am happy to drive somewhere to meet and pay for gas. Looking forward to seeing everyone!

There is a chance I'll be heading Harper's Ferry from central IN, BUT I may not know for sure until the very last minute, so I'd hate to have you depend on it.....if I know something for sure sooner, I'll certainly let you know.

MamaSmurf, could you add me to the email list, too? I would love to join this ladies' hike if I can work out my schedule.

Ok, Hikers!! We are just over 6 weeks from the start of epic hiking camaraderie!! I recently sent out an email with some location info for transportation logistics purposes. If I have missed adding your name to the list, shoot me a PM, and I'll get you added and caught up!.

Happy Hiking!!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++