WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: What is in your kitchen?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

Default What is in your kitchen?

What is in your kitchen? Not your stove, fuel bottle ans such, but your eating utensils. Do you pack like a field chef or a hobo?

BTW, you can make multiple selections in this poll.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

I carry one titanium pot w/lid and a pair of chopsticks. The chopsticks provide every function I need, you just need to learn how to use them. Many hours spent watching Kurasawa films has taught me all I need.

Images

I am like a hobo... One pot, ( cascade designs non stick) and a "Spork". Not fancy but functional and never ran into a time where I needed more.

Sparky!

Images

I have a spoon, a pot with foil lid, and a cup. My cup is an empty Country Time lemonade container that also serves as tupperware, a bowl, measuring cup, and a drinking cup.

So really three items, many uses.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

Hmmm I use my nalgene bottle as my drinking cup. I just bought a scale and was surprised to find that the bottle weighs 5.7 ounces! I am going to switch to a sports drink bottle if I can find one to fit in my bottle holder... any suggestions Sarge?

Sparky!

Images

For water I carry a 1.5 ounce 100ounce capacity Platapus that has been modified, and an old 1L soda bottle weighing 1 ounce.

My cup however is this: http://hikinghq.net/gear/lemonade_bowl.html

I love it and highly reccomend it. The thing weighs about 1.5 ounces without the cozy, 2.3 with the cozy.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

The small titanium pot w/lid and a tablespoon.

Yes, I know I mis-spelled "Hamster"...
    Images

- 1L MSR Titanium Pot & Matching Titanium Lid/Frypan/Plate.
    - MSR Aluminum PotGripper w/Rubber Coated Handles.
    - MSR Titanium Fork & Spoon Set.
    - Mesh Bag/Scrub Cloth

I have the MSR Titan Cookset, but I leave the 0.7L pot home.

I tried out Rock's lemonade cozy, and found it a pain in the ass to get grease off of (plastic). It's now in the gear graveyard.

I may get an MSR Titanium Mug, or a Snow Peak Titanium Mug. I've considered using the 0.7L pot, but I want something with a handle thats a bit smaller. Metal is easier to clean, you can set it on the flame, and its sturdier than plastic.

Images

I generally use a 1 litre stainless pot with lid,a stainless spoon(prolly get lexan soon) a 8 oz plastic cup that has lines on inside to use as measuring cup and one of those little military type canopeners P something or other. I do sometimes use a lemenade bowl/cup with cozy which I like alot I just dont always have the room in my pack. Streamweaver

P.S. a lighter and cheaper alternative to a nalgene is a clear 1L bottle I got from Walmart .It has a straw in it that can be removed
    and it has a wide enuff mouth to pour hot water into or mix powdered drinks etc. it weighs 3 oz and has a flip up spout on it.It doesnt get that weird smell/taste that some plastics get either.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Small titanium non-stick pot, Lexan spork, and two plastic cups for measuring and drinking cocoa, etc.

Sparky: I replaced my Nalgene bottles with the collapsible Nalgene bottles that weigh 3-4 ounces less and still fit in the sleeves of my pack (although I wrap the lid around a pack strap to keep the bottle stable when it is less than full).
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Hmm I will have to check them out "K", How did it handle hot liquids... I love a morning cup of coffee to get my butt on the trail and going.

Sparky!

I know many of you will not care, but whenever you see a monkey or cat or dog strapped down with electrodes in his or her head or other torture equipment. That is Nalgene. Almost all vivisection equipment comes from Nalgene. I use lemon juice bottles, they are made of the exact same plastic (I'm a chemist). I'm not advocating any thing I just thought some of you would like to know. I find it ironic how often you see what Lone Wolf calls treehuggers, carrying Nalgene.

BlueJay,
    Soooo, Nalgene creates lab equipment? Or stuff specifically designed for live animal tests. I will quit using Nalgene if this is the case. The bottles are great. I met a guy who claimed he filled his with water then propped the corner of his chevette up on it. But it's not like I'm going to need an impromtue jack stand.

Images

Nalgene is a lab equipment company (I'm a former lab-tech, and current water treatment operator). People started using the screw top sample bottles for water bottles, and thus Nalgene filled the market with the Nalgene water bottle we have today.

As far as animal testing goes, get over it. Its how we make sure things are safe for people, and further medical knowledge. Someone else here posted that the majority of people who whine are usually those who least understand their impact on their surroundings. Just like people who protest a war for oil. Your all a bunch of hypocrites. There are regulations on performing things such as vivisections anyways. On a similar case, cows are often placed under high stress before they are slaughtered (ie, severely inuring it). This causes the animals muscles to self-tenderize in lactic acid which makes for wonderfully textured beef. Oh, and ever been to a chicken coop?

First of all, come over here and call me a hypocrite!
    Second of all I'm a hardcore vegetarian and perfectly aware of my impact on the world around me. I'm doing more to lessen that impact through my daily actions. There are a few major things I will turn my eye from as far a animal testing goes, namely in the fight against disease, but we can be sure that not all animal testing is for such important reasons. Yes, I have seen high density feed lot's for pigs/cows/chickens. This is why family farming and organic meat production is important. No we should not "Get over" anything or we will all be eating Soylent Green in a Brave New World in 1984.

Images

Hey, I like Soylent green. With a side order of soma please.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

Lol, I don't see you complaining about the fruitful american life "Big Brother" has provided you. We live on land gained through the genocide of "Native Americans", thriving on our lifeline of oil and greed driven capitalism built upon the backs of slaves, and maintained through virtual indentured servitude. Sometimes we need to walk a little louder and swing that big stick to preserve this way of life. If you choose not to drink from a nalgene bottle because it's manufacturer makes lab equipment for animal vivisections, go nuts. But if you think your morally sound because you use a plastic walmart bottle made from oil (one of the main components in plastics) by children working in a US territory sweatshop, your just another typical "Treehugger". And that accusation is not ignorant, or without foundation.

Check out the film Baraka. A beautiful film. Inside scoop on chicken farms too.

Default jeez...

SEMPER PARATUS

Ok, maybe we can get back on topic...kitchen stuff.

What I carry: SS spoon & fork. Al frying pan (plate, cooking, food prep), 2 1 liter drink bottles (heavier/sturdier than soda bottles) and a full size Swiss Army Knife(not the Mega one). My hiking partner carries a pot and stove (and his personal stuff). We have a OPM requirement.

I am not planning to go ultralight. But I would like to change some stuff. I like Rock's lemonade jar, but had the problem with the greasiness. I am thinking I will switch to Lexan spoon and fork.

Any suggestions?

A: I complain often and loudly about the life Big Brother has created
    B: I do not shop at that union hating lump called Wal-Mart, or Nike , or the Gap.
    Sweat shops and child labor are a problem in US territories, especially Pacific Islands where US companies send Asian folks after they sign a waver stating that they are not us citizens and wave all of their basic human rights. For info go to Worldlink.org.
    Thank you for alowing this soap box moment.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++