WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Bags or quilts

Default Bags or quilts

What's preferred, sleeping bags or quilts? Zpacks or stuff from REI? I used to get my stuff from an outfitter in Hawaii when I lived there. Now I'm in Texas and planning a hike on the AT. Never hiking where it gets, well, cold at night. I would really like some input from some AT hikers.

I moved to a quilt last year, and don't anticipate changing back to a bag anytime. I do a handful of section hikes a year, just here in Virginia so far, but the versatility of the quilt makes me comfortable in a variety of settings. I'm using an Enlightened Equipment 40d Revelation quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Pastor Bryon View Post
    I moved to a quilt last year, and don't anticipate changing back to a bag anytime. I do a handful of section hikes a year, just here in Virginia so far, but the versatility of the quilt makes me comfortable in a variety of settings. I'm using an Enlightened Equipment 40d Revelation quilt.
    Pastor Bryon we will be in you neck of the woods in 38 days... don't expect we'll need a shuttle as we are going to park my sister's car at the parking area Long Mt. Wayside. I too went to an Enlightened Quilt last year and won't go back to a bag unless it is really cold. I did get the 30* bag extra extra wide and glad I did as I can easily wrap up in it. Did experience a little draft and it took some getting use to.... not a big deal. Got your number if needed.... peace in Christ.... john+

Love my quilts! I've been out from 8F to 98F in a quilt, I own several of different temp ratings obviously.

The concept of down trapping warm air being what insulates, and laying on top of down compressing it negating that, is one of the main reasons quilts make more sense to me. Quilts are less material, in general, and therefore lighter. Not having to restrict myself tightly zipped inside a mummy bag is another postive for a quilt.

My Jacks R Better quilts have a Velcro closure in the middle that opens for me to put my head through and wear as a nice around-the-camp wrap. Double duty gear is essential for lighter pack weight.

Go Quilts!!!

Garlic
    Images

If I were to hike the AT again with my same early April start, I'd start with my 15F Helium bag, then switch in mid-May to my new 30F quilt instead of the 40F bag I used back then. In my experience, it was good to start with more insulation. It got pretty dang cold the first couple of weeks. I pushed the limit on that 15F bag.

I bought the quilt for a shorter summer trip, and believe it's the best backcountry gear purchase I've ever made. But it has its limits and spring blizzards in the southern Appalachians were not the place for it.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

I use my quilts(homemade down) for 20 degrees and up, below 20 I bring out my WM Antelope mummy.

I'm in the cross-over camp and own the 10* Convert from EE. I love that I can use it as a quilt or a mummy bag, depending on the weather and the temperatures. And it's still only 29oz

Hey folks new to hammock I'm using an under quilt and a igneo bag am I over equiped

Quote Originally Posted by Pops krupa View Post
    Hey folks new to hammock I'm using an under quilt and a igneo bag am I over equiped
    Ee

Not if you unzip the bag and use it as a TQ. However, depending on the temp of the UQ, the bag (even compressed underneath you) may overheat you. It is really a trial and error - practice kind of thing. Enjoy the practicing!
    It's always nice to have a hammock convert.!
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

I switched to a EE/Revelation 20 deg last fall and had a fascinating experience - I slept. Now the coldest I have had it in is the low 30s due to this freakishly warm winter but the point is this, I had come to think that the wrestling match with a sleeping bag was just a 'cost of doin business'. I am a side sleeping, toss and turnin, like to sprawl kinda guy and being in a quilt has allowed me to sleep!...my way. So bag or quilt? quilt. I went with EE but having a zpacks tent and some other of their stuff I suspect they are a darn good choice.

I almost went with ZPacks but I didn't like the continuous baffles which meant the down could shift to the sides if you move a lot. Some people like the option of being able to move the down where they want...to the sides to be cooler and to the top to be warmer.

One of the reasons I went with EE over ZPacks (other than the price) was that they offered a different kind of baffles, vertical vs horizontal, that I preferred for my sleeping style. The vertical baffles prevent the movement of down to the sides, and the down stays in place. EE uses horizontal baffles around the foot area to prevent the shift of down to the bottom of the sleeping bag. I think it is a pretty good design and is what sold me on buying from them.

Thx so much for the info. I guess quilts win by a mile!!!

I use a 20* down bag and a 40* synthetic quilt as a system. In cold weather, thermal efficiency and controlling drafts is important so I still prefer a bag for this.

I use the 40* synthetic quilt for warmer weather because 1) I don't like being constricted when it's warmer out. 2) it's cheaper than down and the weight penalty over down is not as significant in a summer weight quilt. 3) it gets used more (mostly in just boxers and a t-shirt) and deals with sweat and body oils and being washed more often, much better than down.

For the coldest weather I layer the quilt over the bag. Synthetic insulation seems to handle moisture better than down so I use that as my top layer, hopefully keeping the dew point outside my down bag. This combination is supposed to be good down to -10*

I've been dealing with inadequate sleeping bags for years....my new 10 degree Western Mountaineering Versalite bag is the best gear purchase I've ever made, well worth the comfort. No desire to experiment with a quilt. YMMV!

++ New Posts ++