Thread: Bounce Box

Default Bounce Box

How many hikers utilize bounce boxes the entire length of the trail? Is this a standard practice?

bounce boxes are not uncommon, but standard practice.... no such thing, really. All personal preference. HYOH and all....

Quote Originally Posted by hubcap View Post
    bounce boxes are not uncommon, but standard practice.... no such thing, really. All personal preference. HYOH and all....
    That's what I was thinking...
    I'm sending myself a lot of resupply boxes, so I don't plan on using any bounce boxes, but will if it makes sense. Is it common for people to bounce themselves clean town clothes?

clean clothes, gear they don't need presently but may later, maps... all sorts of things. Yogi's PCT handbook has some good info on gear for each trail section. http://www.yogisbooks.com/

Screw the tyranny of the post office. So many times I couldn't get to my town clothes because I got to town on a Friday or Saturday evening. Being self-contained was way better. I bought a skirt (I'm a lady) and carried that with me. On the trail I could wear it over my pants for warmth or mosquito protection and in town I could wear it with my wind jacket while my laundry was going. If I was a guy I'd probably buy some light nylon running shorts or something like that.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

I bounced a bucket in 2009 and hated it. Trying to time Post Offices was annoying. The world is a much smaller place now with Amazon and internet on a phone vs the early years of the PCT. I'd argue that you really don't need to bounce anything (just maildrop whatever you need). Amazon will send you ibuprofen and new socks.

Images

I would not (and didn't ) do a bounce box especially with re supplies. As SB mentioned you will likely want to be self sufficient. There will be times when you want to get into and out of a re supply quickly or cases when you will have to wait to get a package.

If you have someone at home to send your resupply boxes, a bounce box probably isn't necessary. If you are self-sufficient, buying as you go most of the time, (or buying in a big town and mailing to the small places), then a bounce box is handy for maps and guidebook sections, medications, and bulk purchased items. We met our bounce boxes about once a month, so having to meet PO schedules wasn't that big a deal. Generally we sent to places that we were planning to send a resupply to anyway (i.e. Kennedy Meadows).

I've never used a bounce box on the AT, CT, PCT or other trails and never really needed one. I just don't bring stuff I don't need.

++ New Posts ++