WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Tent Footprints

Default Tent Footprints

Do you really need a tent footprint or any other tape of protection?

IMO... no. check the ground well before pitching your tent. Nothing sharp, or low lying ground that will puddle when it rains. No worries...

Images

Never once used one in 45 years of backpacking. Never missed one. Never destroyed or even seriously damaged a floor. Tent footprints are useless weight and cost. If you MUST have one anyway, lots of folks use them for some reason, get a piece of polycro from gossamer gear, 10 bucks for a two pack, and cut it to fit, slightly smaller than your tent floor.

The only reason I use one under my tent is because I'm trying to prolong the floor of a very expensive tent. The other benefit I see in carrying a footprint of some kind, whether it be the "official" footprint, or tyvek or polycryo is that you can use it under your pad while cowboy camping to protect your pad from the ground. I certainly don't want to be throwing my lightweight inflatable pad directly on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    The only reason I use one under my tent is because I'm trying to prolong the floor of a very expensive tent. The other benefit I see in carrying a footprint of some kind, whether it be the "official" footprint, or tyvek or polycryo is that you can use it under your pad while cowboy camping to protect your pad from the ground. I certainly don't want to be throwing my lightweight inflatable pad directly on the ground.
    Yep - those are my exact reasons as well. The little piece of tyvek I carry weighs about 5oz. I've been using the same Lightheart solo for about six years with nary a scuff mark on it - hope to get another 10-15 out of it before it (or i'm) thru.
    Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.

No, you don't "need" one. I use the factory footprint for my MSR Hubba NX-1. It makes setting up/taking down the tent easier in the rain. Along with several other uses, it also serves as a ground sheet while sleeping in shelters.

Isn't there something to be said for putting some tyvek down on the wet ground? I use one and I assumed it kept my tent floor dry when pitching on a soaked ground.

I use one as an emergency tarp. Some times when hiking a long distance I stop for lunch or a snack, and lay it out and take a thirty minute refreshing nap. Then when setting up camp, use it on the ground if it is wet, and over my tent hung up if it is pouring rain. Rainflys are great but a little protection never hurts when the rain is drenching everything.
    Life is not about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

If you tent in places where you're setting up on bare ground (dirt and mud), a ground cloth is also good for keeping the bottom of your tent clean.

Most of my camping is in GSMNP where you must camp at designated campsites. That means almost all the good spots are bare moist ground. It's much easier to clean and dry a ground cloth compared to the bottom of a tent and you can fold the dirty side in on itself.

Images

No you do not need one, but I use one because it makes it possible for me to pt my tent up in the rain without getting water in the tub portion. Footprint goes up set up the fly and then put the tent up underneath the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Postmark View Post
    No you do not need one, but I use one because it makes it possible for me to pt my tent up in the rain without getting water in the tub portion. Footprint goes up set up the fly and then put the tent up underneath the fly.
    I just used my REI dividend and coouupon for a CS UL1 and also bought the footprint. I usually use polycro to keep the bottom clean and have a clean place to stage gear when packing up. I wanted to try out the fast pitch option with the footprint and also wanted to see how effective it could be setting up the inner tent in the rain. It's 4 ounces and $48 with the discount, so not as inexpensive as polycro and just a few oz's heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    No, you don't "need" one. I use the factory footprint for my MSR Hubba NX-1. It makes setting up/taking down the tent easier in the rain. Along with several other uses, it also serves as a ground sheet while sleeping in shelters.
    This. Depending on the tent, they can serve various different purposes. I think the Hubba NX1 foorprint is about 5oz.

++ New Posts ++