WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I am looking at a new pair of trail runners. I currently have La Sportiva Wildcats which have worked great for me backpacking and hiking. But they are starting to get worn out. I am looking at the Salomon XA Pro 3D Climashield® Trail Running Shoe. It says they are waterproof but I know that a trail runner cant be waterproof like a real hiking shoe, just wondering if any of you have tried the waterproof trail runners. Do they keep some of the dampness out from early morning wet bushes and stuff like that? I have tried on the Solomon speed cross 3 and they fit me really good so hoping these Solomons would fit to

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/sal...hoes~d~9316%2F

I have Salomons in both WP and non-WP versions. I like the non-WP versions better. My feet stay drier, overall, through the day. I typically carry a 30lbs-ish pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle View Post
    I recently bought Altra Lone Peaks 2.5 and tested them out on some shorter distance hikes. They are AWESOME. Super comfortable, super lightweight, but also supportive. I got them pretty wet and they dry out quickly. I also have a wider foot, and the wide toe-box is accommodating for that. I also know of a lot of people who have used them for thru-hiking with great success (see here: http://yelling-stop.blogspot.com/201...ltra-lone.html ; http://alicehikes.com/2015/01/pct-clothing-review/ ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Huli View Post
    I finally made it out to try the Altra Lone Peak 2.5. I really like everything about them except they are too squishy for my taste. I am sticking to the Superior 2.0 with hopes Altra changes the fabric as they do not dry very quickly.

I hike with a pack 30-35 lbs, either of the Altras were fine.

Were you both using the LP WP versions? I'm wondering why the discrepancies in evaluating dry times? I'm not so utterly impressed with the Altra uppers non WP versions dry times either. Took a full two days in 90* hot sunny conditions to dry Altra Superiors in TX and AR while wearing them with merino ankle socks. Anyone else wish to offer their opinions on Altra upper dry times?

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    Hi:

I need help finding a pair of trail runners. I currently have La Sportiva Wildcats and, while these are great shoes, they are too narrow for my feet. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated concerning similar shoes with a wider fit. I generally section hike typically hiking around 10 miles a day with a load of 25-30 lbs.

Thanks all.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by shelb View Post
    I have wider feet, but narrower heels. Soloman Mission XR has been a phenomenal shoe for me - little break in/ no blisters for a 110 mile A.T. section last year!

As Shelb is offering it depends partly on where you have narrow feet. Some folks have a narrow heel but wide forefoot. Others may have a narrow foot overall, etc. It also depends on the version of the Wildcats you have experienced. For example, the 3.0 has a slightly wider forefoot/toebox than previous versions. Also note LaSportiva shoes tend to run narrow to begin but the Wildcats were one of the wider forefoot models. Note also the Wildcats came in a WIDE version. Rex, you don't include any of these important details.

In previous to the 3.0 version I personally saw high wear areas right behind the small toe bumper and since having wide forefeet with my feet hanging slightly over the width of the sole despite having the WIDE 3.0's experienced abnormally high wear in this area as well admittedly on rocky tread. The cush I so desired also resulted in flattening out rather quickly. The narrowish heel did cup my heel well which was increased by removing the stock foot bed adding SOLE Karneze's high arch orthotics/foot beds. I had some rolling issues as well using the Wildcat 3.0's on a LT thru-hike. The LT has very rocky trail segments though so experienced high wear. Those 3.0 Wildcats were done after only a 300 mile LT thru-hike. These were the last Wildcats are owned.

Quote Originally Posted by ladytaz View Post
    I am looking at a new pair of trail runners. I currently have La Sportiva Wildcats which have worked great for me backpacking and hiking. But they are starting to get worn out. I am looking at the Salomon XA Pro 3D Climashield® Trail Running Shoe. It says they are waterproof but I know that a trail runner cant be waterproof like a real hiking shoe, just wondering if any of you have tried the waterproof trail runners. Do they keep some of the dampness out from early morning wet bushes and stuff like that? I have tried on the Solomon speed cross 3 and they fit me really good so hoping these Solomons would fit to

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/sal...hoes~d~9316%2F
    I forget which Salomon model it was but it was only WP in the very upper which did a very good job of keeping my feet dry from wet brush yet experiencing quick dry times on a sunny summer hike. It helps to wear WP or WR gaiters that cover the laces to meet your goal.

What I find also helps if you have non WP trail runners is to spray the very upper with a WP spray like Grangers Spray On WPing or Gear Aid ReviveX. These products can be found on line and at local outfitters like REI.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++