WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Twinkies

:banana Twinkies

With Twinkies back on stores I have to ask, are they as good as they once were? (I'm planning to bring a few on my next hike.)

At least no worry about them spoiling......

They are smaller.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Images

For some reason Twinkies and grapes don't taste as good as I remember them when I was a kid.
    Simple is good.

Journal Entries

They shmush too easily.
    Dont need the cake, why cant we just buy the filling in squeeze packets?

I consider them junk food, per ingredients---esp the sugar/corn syrup and hydrogenated oil, etc.

Ingredients Enriched wheat flour, sugar, corn syrup, niacin, water, high fructose corn syrup, vegetable shortening – containing one or more of the following: partially hydrogenated soybean oil, cottonseed oil, canola oil, and beef fat, dextrose, whole eggs, modified corn starch, cellulose gum, whey, leavenings (sodium acid pyrophosphate, baking soda, monocalcium phosphate), salt, cornstarch, corn flour, corn syrup solids, mono and diglycerides, soy lecithin, polysorbate 60, dextrin, calcium caseinate, sodium stearoyl lactylate, wheat gluten, calcium sulphate, natural and artificial flavors, caramel color, yellow No. 5, red #40.

There is an Italian cake that taste very much like the old twinkies. They come in different fruit/creme laced flavors or just cream. Much bigger than twinkies. Over 7 ounces (200g). Brand name "Freddi", product name "Pic-Nic delicious Italian cake". Same crappy ingredients as twinkies but for some reason it just seems your a eating gourmet twinkie.

My brother's ex-wife was macrobiotic. My brother loved junk food. He used to hie the Twinkies in the trunk of his car.

Anyway, chances are they will outlast our species.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I consider them junk food, per ingredients---esp the sugar/corn syrup and hydrogenated oil, etc.

Ingredients Enriched wheat flour, sugar, corn syrup, niacin, water, high fructose corn syrup, vegetable shortening – containing one or more of the following: partially hydrogenated soybean oil, cottonseed oil, canola oil, and beef fat, dextrose, whole eggs, modified corn starch, cellulose gum, whey, leavenings (sodium acid pyrophosphate, baking soda, monocalcium phosphate), salt, cornstarch, corn flour, corn syrup solids, mono and diglycerides, soy lecithin, polysorbate 60, dextrin, calcium caseinate, sodium stearoyl lactylate, wheat gluten, calcium sulphate, natural and artificial flavors, caramel color, yellow No. 5, red #40.

Is that the same cellulose in packaged parmesan cheese? (IE, wood shavings) Serious question.

No, they aren't as good, but that's mostly because I'm not 12 anymore, and nothing to do with the actual Twinkie.

How does one make fried Twinkies on the trail without damaging the woods? (I known people who swear by fried Twinkies and fried pickles.)

I was always a Ho Ho man myself. Never into Twinkies.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I was always a Ho Ho man myself. Never into Twinkies.
    ... or Ring Dings, just not those peanut butter horror things. Then I tasted real chocolate, and haven't been able to eat them since.

Is that the same cellulose in packaged parmesan cheese? (IE, wood shavings) Serious question.

Same base stock but different use, cellulose gum is sort of like Tapioca added to pie filling, it makes it thick. Cellulose power is non nutritive powder that bulks up food. Folks cant digest it. Its actually made up of pulverized paper. Alternately hay or straw can be pulverized but cellulose is a lot purer as the lignins are removed from cellulose. The company I used to work for had a plant for making cellulose powder, one of their big customers was Ralston Purina which added it to pet food. Folks like to show their pets love by overfeeding them so adding floc lets them give them more food without a lot of calories. Pets and people cannot digest it so what goes in come out. High end pet foods don't use it and as a result the serving size is smaller and usually there is a claim that the pet will produce less "waste" Most pills are mostly refined cellulose with a dab of the active ingredient.
    Last edited by peakbagger; 03-23-2016 at 17:43.

Registered User displacedbeatnik's Avatar

I still enjoy them. But they're actually best cold out of the freezer (the frozen cream is amazing) so the thought of taking them on a hike doesn't appeal that much to me. Now Tasteekakes, those are amazing.
    AT Leapfrogging in 2016i (Central Virginia next) http://walkinghometodc.wordpress.com

Thank you, peakbagger. I learned a lot from your post!

Journal Entries
    Images

I know where the Little Debbie man parks his truck at night. I'm planning a raid.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
    I know where the Little Debbie man parks his truck at night. I'm planning a raid.
    I will find an old camp stick and head your way to join you. Cosmic brownies are likely the ideal trail food, dense, tasty and bullet proof.

Yes they will still spike your insulin fat storage like a rocket ship, at least until your pancreas fails.

Do you mean the twinkies that you put in your mouth? Oh wait! Or do you mean the kind made out of sugar shortning, and a bit of flour?? The 1st kind the hairs get caught in my teeth.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++