WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Any short hikers out there?

I'm often reading posts where folks talk about their size 13 shoes and their enormous height. I never hear from short people. What's up with that? And if there are any among you, I'd like to hear about whether you think that affects your hiking speed or not. I mean seriously, if the AT is five million steps for a typical hiker, it's eight million steps for me.

A buddy of mine captured a photo of me on a recent hike. I was walking in front of him, maybe twenty paces. I look like a freaking hobbit. (5' 5" at last official reading.) I wonder sometimes if I picked the right hobby here.

I am with you on this one....5'2 on a very good day. My spouse is just under six feet....and yes they seem to take a lot less steps than me.
    You picked the right hobby, whIle the Giants may be able to take less steps we can maneuver around boulders and under fallen trees better....and in mines or caves....sucks to be tall.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    I'm often reading posts where folks talk about their size 13 shoes and their enormous height. I never hear from short people. What's up with that? And if there are any among you, I'd like to hear about whether you think that affects your hiking speed or not. I mean seriously, if the AT is five million steps for a typical hiker, it's eight million steps for me.

A buddy of mine captured a photo of me on a recent hike. I was walking in front of him, maybe twenty paces. I look like a freaking hobbit. (5' 5" at last official reading.) I wonder sometimes if I picked the right hobby here.
    Life is not about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself.

I have a corgi. His legs are only a few inches long, but he beats me in speed, agility, and endurance. But he can't reach the dog treats on the kitchen counter. We adopted him in January. I hope to take him on some day hikes this summer.

Registered User FooFooCuddlyPoops's Avatar
    Images

I am with you. A 5'2 short female. Tall upper body. Short Short legs.

With hiking, I think being short helps on the uphills. You have a lower center gravity or something along those lines.

I hike with a friend who's 4'10" on a good day. I'm still a bit amazed every time I look back and she's right with me. It's pointless to have her lead because I still catch the spider webs in my face, even when she does lead.

I hike a lot with a buddy who's about 5' 5 or so (I am just over 6'). The only real difference I have experienced is the stride differential. Long ago we figured out to hike our own hike in small bits, so we have planned meet up points if one gets too far ahead of the other which is rare. I do find going up hill my stride is about a foot longer than his, putting me at the top of the grade sooner. He is faster going downhill so it tends to balance out.

If we are chased by a bear, all I need to do is maintain that 1' per step advantage.....

5' 1/2". Climbing stairs and rocks takes more effort for me than for someone who is taller. It seems steps are always made for people who are 5'5" or taller. If the step or rock is higher than my shin, it's easier to put the trekking poles away and use my hands to push off the ground. That seems to help my center of gravity.

Climbing over blowdowns is also difficult. What is knee high for tall people is waist high for me and usually involves undignified maneuvers to climb on the tree to a seated position, then a hop to get down. On the plus side, being short makes it easier to duck or crawl under blowdowns without taking my pack off. That's probably not a big problem on the AT but the BMT is another story.

Also on the plus side, it's not as far to the ground when I fall.

My gf is 5'2" and I'm 6'3". We figure it's a 3:5 ratio, me to her, in steps. She's better at ducking under branches. She struggles with water bars I can step up on a big rock with one step, she has to plan a route over or around it. She calls me a show off because I turn around and watch her.

But, she scrambled her way up Katahdin and it left me scratching my head several times, at spots, asking her "How did you get up there?"

Images

Being short does make me a bit slower. I like to hike solo, it helps. I end up the same distance at the end of the day, I just hike longer. On the other hand, I have custom shortened my sleeping gear to make my pack lighter. My smaller clothes are lighter, but so is the max I can carry!

The only places on the trail I thought were harder for short legs like mine were places like Moosilauke- those wooden steps on that northbound rock face descent were brutal! Definitely built for long legged brethren. Big rock climbs are harder to stretch from one hand and foot hold hold to another. As far as speed- most tall people hiked faster than I did, even if they were not fast hikers. That makes sense-longer strides. Like Sandy said- usually you end up in the same places at the end of the day.

Yup another shorty here. I hike often with a couple of friends, both are really tall with super long legs...I swear I take 3-4 steps to their 2.

The biggest benefits to being small are that I find that I more easily maneuver around obstacles...small gaps, under branches etc. I'm also a scrambler and find climbing much easier. The negatives are being able to carry less weight, but since I'm smaller clothes and sleeping bags weigh less.

I am 5'7'' and found Katahdin a good scramble. Going up is not so bad as you can see what is in front, but going down the drop offs are a trial as you are not sure how far you are going before you land. Mostly it is not far- hardly a foot -but you don't know that. I came across an Australian couple; she being smaller than me was having same issues. Of course the thing there is no option you have to go with it.

I'm about 5 ft. 3 in. these days. My pace is pretty much what it always has been (slow), but up north, on the steep ups and downs, it' can be challenging to find handholds I can reach.

I tend to be a long hiker vs a shorter hiker! Oh, your all talking about foot stride and body height! Lol. Still tend to be a little tall at 6ft but funny thing is that my shoe size is 8 1/2. What I find is that there is a happy medium between the two. Neither is great. Except the mentioned ability to go under blow down's vs over or around. I can only use the long stride (few steps) on Ridge Tops or in the gaps. Going up or down, as the AT is known to do, I take normal to baby steps to insure I stay safe and am under control and balance. Walking sticks also tend to cause more steps to stay in sequence and bounce along the trail. It really is a perception issue.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I am 5'6" myself..never noticed a difference overall. (only in short sprints vs my taller friends). Going up hill, I actually go faster. BTW, the 5 million steps was calculated for 5'6" hiker! At least that is what I recall reading in Wingfoot's guide. Another 5'6" hiker...
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I'm a 5'4"-5'5" guy and I don't think it effects my speed. My stride is shorter, but I'm a stocky little fella x'D

The average height of world class marathon runners are no more than 5'-8"; however, sprinters are more like 6 ft.

Hiking in mountains are more akin to running than walking, that's my opinion.

My wife (Little Bear) is 4'10" on a good day and has several issues with things being designed for the taller average. For example, the metal rungs on steep exposed rock faces (like the Dragons tooth) were too far apart making it harder especially with a pack on. I had to brace myself on several areas and use my hands as a step a few times. As well finding a pack that was not a children's pack was harder along with a sleeping bag where the only option was a child's bag! Not to mention finding outdoor pants that were not obnoxiously too long was almost impossible. So for the smaller statured adult hiker, a lot of children's gear needed to be used and finding quality Childrens gear is harder yet as most seems cheaply made for the camping crowd.

I'm 5'3" and while I don't think I'm a slow hiker, my legs are shorter than my boyfriends (6'1" I believe) and I feel like I'm running to keep up on flatter trails. I can get way ahead of him when we get to rock scrambles or other steeper climbs, but I've been climbing anything and everything my whole life, rocks, trees, greenhouses at work, I've just always loved climbing everything.
    Finding gear is my problem lately. While things like packs I don't seem to have too much trouble with, sleeping bags are usually too long, and I have some serious issues with pant leg length.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    5' 1/2". Climbing stairs and rocks takes more effort for me than for someone who is taller. It seems steps are always made for people who are 5'5" or taller. If the step or rock is higher than my shin, it's easier to put the trekking poles away and use my hands to push off the ground. That seems to help my center of gravity.
    As a fellow "shorty," I agree that climbing and descending large steps is where I wish I had the leg length. Otherwise, I don't mind the extra steps!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++