WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Depends on other gear. Summer or winter, etc. Most of yr I could do fine with it. Main body on my pack is 39L total including roll up length. I can get 10 days in summer. When I add the fleece, winter bag, etc, I lose a lot of space.

^^^

I can get five days worth of food in mine, but I don't carry a lot of junk. In the Winter, it becomes a day hike pack. My gripes about the fusion 50 is that water bottles will fall out of the side pockets and the back pocket is so small as to almost useless. Other than that, it's a good pack for $100. I'm happy with it.

This thread, and others, reinforces my reluctance to replace either of my ancient backpacks.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    This thread, and others, reinforces my reluctance to replace either of my ancient backpacks.

Wayne

Oh, I have lots of backpacks. If you have a pack that fits you and your needs, no reason to replace it, unless it's worn out or you want to. I have packs for week long winter trips, winter weekends, three season weekends and week long trips. There's some overlap of the packs I like, and a couple that I don't like and one that I hate, that my kids don't mind using. They all, mostly, get used.

I only have 2. The biggest of the 2 weighs 6 pounds 12 ounces. About 3.75 pounds of good reasons to find a replacement. I'm still looking, but I'm in no hurry.
    I've lost faith in the specifications of current packs.

Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Try Seek Outside's Unaweep. I think the current iteration is ~ 3 pounds

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Try Seek Outside's Unaweep. I think the current iteration is ~ 3 pounds
    I'll be in Colorado later this year. Time permitting, I will visit them and try their packs. I'll have all my gear with me and can get a good test drive.

Wayne

SO, did the OP get a new pack or what?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    SO, did the OP get a new pack or what?
    On a thru attempt, I imagine we'll have to wait til he has time and connectivity.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    ^^^

I can get five days worth of food in mine, but I don't carry a lot of junk. In the Winter, it becomes a day hike pack. My gripes about the fusion 50 is that water bottles will fall out of the side pockets and the back pocket is so small as to almost useless. Other than that, it's a good pack for $100. I'm happy with it.
    what bottles do you use? I realize this 36oz pack is aimed at UL but I find the Nalgene Oasis bottles shaped like an army canteen work really well in small pockets providing they are wide enough for their kidney bean shape.

admittedly they're 2.75oz heavier than a 32oz Gatorade bottle but if I can make this pack work, I hope I would be able to make up the weight somewhere else...

Ok sorry you all, not much signal coverage recently, and thank you all for the offers and suggestions! I'm currently just past standing bear farm at a cool little campsite. Everything worked out in the end though, stuck with the pack ( which performed very well for the weight I carried) to tell you the truth I think it was just pre smokies jitters. Again thank you all for the advice! Enjoy your hikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Secondmouse View Post
    what bottles do you use? I realize this 36oz pack is aimed at UL but I find the Nalgene Oasis bottles shaped like an army canteen work really well in small pockets providing they are wide enough for their kidney bean shape.

admittedly they're 2.75oz heavier than a 32oz Gatorade bottle but if I can make this pack work, I hope I would be able to make up the weight somewhere else...
    Anything from 20ox soda bottles to 32oz Gatorade bottles. I now use bottles that I can use a carabiner to clip to the pack's compression straps. Saves getting 5 miles down the trail and finding out one off my water bottles popped out of the pockets. It's happened. Annoying, to say the least.

No one here on trail actually reads this site, because of the silly arguments, I'm starting to realize how true that is, my post has been swollwed by couch thrus

In anything you have to sort out the advice given, but I woulden't discount WB. If something happens on the trail of importance like in years past notifications of Noro virus outbreaks on a AT trail section, or an area is experiencing a theft problem, or a business you were trusting to be there closes... Or a new one opens.... You find out faster than anywhere else.
    Yes you get banter, opinions, and shenanigans but Mixed in is good advice. If anything, your more prepared than the others who don't know WB exists. If you look at many online here you have true trail sages who's hiked the AT a few times, triple crowners, outdoor business manufacturers, hostel/ trail service owners, etc. It's why it's the Premeir site for the AT enthusiast.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron l View Post
    No one here on trail actually reads this site, because of the silly arguments, I'm starting to realize how true that is, my post has been swollwed by couch thrus
    Let me see if I have this right. You begin a thru hike without the proper knowledge of your gear, then come on here asking for suggestions. Suggestions were made and in post #30, you give thanks for the advice. Now...out of the blue you are bashing the people who tried to help you out? C'mon bro.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Silly arguments, it's the internet what do you expect?

And along side the couch hikers are people who have thousands of AT miles under their belt who offer FREE advice. You just need to figure out who are the real hikers. Their are people who run AT hiking clinics that charge for this information, or you could do your own research. But it sure is easier to come here and ask a question, isn't it?
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Journal Entries

I really, really hope people on trail have better things to do than read here. It has never crossed my mind while im on trail to read a forum or browse internet, or facebook etc.

A few have posted with issues when on trail and in a bind and received help. Needed ride, lost food to bear, etc.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-05-2016 at 12:47.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++