WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Registered User displacedbeatnik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by swisscross View Post
    I had a box of 5.
    Girls came home with lice and my wife used my remaining 4 bags to store pillows in attic for a few months to kill the little buggers. Now I am afraid to use them.
    Need to pick up another box.
    They are amazing for that! I had bed bugs (word to the wise, the hotels in Pleasantville, New Jersey are not pleasant) and my clothes lived in those until all the buggers were gone.
    AT Leapfrogging in 2016i (Central Virginia next) http://walkinghometodc.wordpress.com

Amazon has everything.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by displacedbeatnik View Post
    They are amazing for that! I had bed bugs (word to the wise, the hotels in Pleasantville, New Jersey are not pleasant) and my clothes lived in those until all the buggers were gone.
    What are Buggers?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    I wonder if Trash Compactors are more popular in other parts of the country. Trash compactor bags in my area are clearly more rare than in the home towns of others on this forum. They can be found but, not in most local grocery and hardware stores in my area. Also, I don't know anyone who has a trash compactor.
    Got a Walmart? Order at Walmart. Com and have them shipped to the store. Or Amazon. No reason why you can't find them.
    I had trouble finding the unscented type. I finally found the Safeway house brand unscented.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I picked up some @ a local TX chain grocery store. Then, I saw a 70 pack @ Costco that I bought to dole out to all my Scouts. I think it came out to $0.18 each. I don't want to see any of them w/ wet stuff anymore.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

One other thing that might be useful (or might not) would be to look for bags labelled Contractor Bags. Those also tend to be heavy duty (since a contractor might have heavy/sharp items to put in the trash) but may (or may not) be too large, depending on the size of the pack.

Nylofume bags are tough yet pliable and they are clear. Same ones sold by Gossamer Gear apparently.

This was all discussed very recently HERE.

I use trash compactor bags from Publix. Works great. Very durable.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed that is the only thing that ever has."
    - Margaret Mead, Anthropologist

At our local grocery stores, they are down on either the very top or very bottom row. On the "trash bag and Ziplock" bag aisle. Often, they seem to be in like a generic looking box and at one store, they had stocked them with the end pointed out.....so all you see is a white box with "QTY 10" and a UPC Bar code!
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

I think that everyone has missed an important point -- when buying a trash compactor bag, buy WHITE ones, otherwise you'll need a flashlight to see what's near the bottom even on a bright, sunny day.

Registered User displacedbeatnik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    What are Buggers?
    It's my nickname for all sorts of bugs. Of course, if you're British it means something totally different. A bugger can not technically bugger a person. Only another person can.
    AT Leapfrogging in 2016i (Central Virginia next) http://walkinghometodc.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Safeway, Kroger, they're everywhere. Look.

Wayne.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Got a Walmart? Order at Walmart. Com and have them shipped to the store. Or Amazon. No reason why you can't find them.
    I had trouble finding the unscented type. I finally found the Safeway house brand unscented.

Wayne .
    I didn't say "Impossible to find". However, in my area these are not "everywhere" as they apparently are in your area. Locally, SOME Walmarts carry the rolls of 20 scented bags. No Walmarts I have visited stock the unscented bags. Also no luck at Home Depot, Lowes, Target or several ACE hardware stores I have visited. Apparently Trash Compactors just aren't that popular with local builders.

I prefer my ZPacks CF liner but, backpack frequently with my sons' Boy Scout troop and keep a supply of trash compactor bags to distribute.

PS: The same issue arises when I shop for an IMUSA mug. Only 1 Walmart out of the 6 nearest stocks IMUSA mugs.

Images

Funny, they used to be prominent on my Kroger's (locally called King Soopers) shelves, a couple brands/kinds, now they are hard to find and on a lower shelf, and now only the Kroger-store brand and thankfully, unscented. I just bought a new box of 10 a couple days ago, since two of these lasts a year or so, I'm good for the next 5 years...

My guess is that these bags are specific to what used to be a more common appliance, a trash compactor, perhaps now this appliance is less popular and is kinda going away? Maybe because more and more folks are recycling more? I've never owned an actual trash compactor, just a guess....

I found unscented trash compactor bags in the appliance department of the local Sears store.

Great blog site for new and/or female hikers! www.appalachiantrailclarity.com

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Christoph View Post
    I got mine at Lowes or Home Depot, can't remember which. The first day of my trip was a true test. I started out at Amacolola Falls during a tornado warning and there was thunder, lightning, hail, and torrential rain. NONE of my stuff I didn't want to get wet did. Just line your pack with it and either cut it down to size or roll it up. Works great and I'll do it again every trip.
    Thanks for the advise. I bought a box of 30 bags at Home Depot today for $10. They are white, which may make it easier to see stuff at the bottom of the bag. Each weighs 2.5 oz, which saves me a few ounces if I leave my pack cover at home, and re: a scent, all I smell is plastic. After buying 30, I may give away most of the extras to hikers in my area.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    I wonder if Trash Compactors are more popular in other parts of the country. Trash compactor bags in my area are clearly more rare than in the home towns of others on this forum. They can be found but, not in most local grocery and hardware stores in my area. Also, I don't know anyone who has a trash compactor.
    20 gallon trash bags are fine.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Can anyone tell about the size of the turkey bags. I'm looking for something for my day pack and also 10-12 L bicycle panniers. Seems to me I'll probably use 2 turkey bags for each day pack or pannier.
    Your thoughts??
    Thanks

Hey! Sorry for not searching first. The turkey roast bags are about 19x23". rated for a 21 lb turkey. A good size for what I want to do with day pack and panniers. The smaller 8 lb size is 12x9x7 (probably a good size for must keep dry clothes, or for stinky stuff that goes in the bear bag) About $1 each. Worth trying IMHO.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    Hey! Sorry for not searching first. The turkey roast bags are about 19x23". rated for a 21 lb turkey. A good size for what I want to do with day pack and panniers. The smaller 8 lb size is 12x9x7 (probably a good size for must keep dry clothes, or for stinky stuff that goes in the bear bag) About $1 each. Worth trying IMHO.
    Too noisy - (the plastic)

Woo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++