WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Trash Compactor Bags

Seems I've read in a lot of places to get a trash compactor bag to insert into your backpack. I've just assumed this is for waterproofing, is that right?

I've looked at a number of different grocers and can't seem to find them. Anyone have suggestions for where to look for them?

I am trying to keep my pack significantly below 30 #, and I'm doing good at that, and I have a smallish pack, so I'd rather get one TC bag than a bunch of smaller stuff sacks or so. Running out of room in my 50L (or is it 45...it seems to be shrinking).

::mattie

I got mine at Lowes or Home Depot, can't remember which. The first day of my trip was a true test. I started out at Amacolola Falls during a tornado warning and there was thunder, lightning, hail, and torrential rain. NONE of my stuff I didn't want to get wet did. Just line your pack with it and either cut it down to size or roll it up. Works great and I'll do it again every trip.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Images

You should be able to find them at most hardware or store stores like Walmart.

Ace Hardware has an unscented 5 pack.

Safeway, Kroger, they're everywhere. Look.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Just about any grocery store or hardware store should have Compactor Bags. However, many are scented, and the scent can be quite strong (and doesn't wash out).

The Ace Hardware store brand is indeed unscented... but I've found that many Ace Hardware stores do not carry their own store brand of compactor bag (perhaps as few as 2 out of every 7 I've tried has carried them).

I wonder if Trash Compactors are more popular in other parts of the country. Trash compactor bags in my area are clearly more rare than in the home towns of others on this forum. They can be found but, not in most local grocery and hardware stores in my area. Also, I don't know anyone who has a trash compactor.

I have found them at Ace Hardware (Hefty brand) and Home Depot in the cleaning products aisle. These are the only two places I have found unscented bags.

Trash compactor bags don't seem to be available here in Canada. None of the big stores carry them …

Bruce Traillium

The compactor bags are relatively heavy duty which is useful if you are on the trail for weeks/month at a time (i.e. thru hike). I too got some at a local hardware store. But if you take shorter section hikes (which is what I do), a regular garbage bag would probably work fine. However, recently I have been using an odor barrier bag (Nylobarrier by Litetrail). These are lighter yet more durable than polyethylene bags. They are waterproof, so they serve the function of a back liner with the added bonus of giving you an odor barrier, keeping food odors (which I keep outside the pack liner) away from from by sleeping bag and clothes (which are inside the pack liner). Here is someone else's review of these:

http://briangreen.net/2012/12/a-real...roof-bags.html

Unfortunately, Litetrail no longer seems to be in business. But I read somewhere that these same bags can now be purchased under the name of Base Camp Odor Barrier Bags. I can not confirm they are the same, but here is a favorable review of these.

http://www.profoodstoragecontainers....s-backpacking/

I got a sample pack from Litetrail such as the Base Camp ones sold here. I use the medium (2 gal) bag as a food bag liner and the extra large (13 gal) as a pack liner.

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/s...6484/cat100877

Registered User displacedbeatnik's Avatar

Even a less sturdy garbage bag as a liner will help in keeping stuff dry. The advantage of an extra large bag is that they're built not to rip as easily and they cover the entire inside of any pack guaranteed. But I've used "wimpy, wimpy, wimpy" (dating myself?) bags with good success too on shorter hikes.
    AT Leapfrogging in 2016i (Central Virginia next) http://walkinghometodc.wordpress.com

Images

I agree, compactor bags are difficult to find. I think, perhaps it may be a regional thing.

I do not EVER recall seeing them in a grocery store or hardware store. I looked a few years back, but gave up. I find regular, sturdy trash bags work just fine, I've never had my "must keep dry" gear get wet in my pack. I finally decided, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, and gave up on finding a trash compactor bag.

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

Winn Dixie has them here in Florida, but I had to buy a HUGE roll for $5 or $6. I'll never run out for sure. It's the sturdiness that is attractive.
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

Same problem...couldn't find them locally in Walmart, Home Depot or the ranch supply store. Finally found them at Ace Hardware.

I ended up having to buy a roll of 20 scented bags at the local Wally world. The scent eventually goes away. Which reminds me, I need to replace my liner bag so time to air one out. I have a 12" plastic bag heat sealer device so I trim the width of the bag to fit better in my pack and use the heat sealer to make a new seam down the side.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I ended up having to buy a roll of 20 scented bags at the local Wally world. The scent eventually goes away...
    I tried some scented bags from Wally World that I washed multiple times and aired outside for days and they STILL had an over-powering smell.

Turkey oven roasting bags work.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    I tried some scented bags from Wally World that I washed multiple times and aired outside for days and they STILL had an over-powering smell.
    http://www.amazon.com/Hefty-Twist-Tr...compactor+bags

Way easier to order from Amazon than searching for this hard to find item. I've got compactor bags that have lasted for months of hiking and are still in great condition.

I had a box of 5.
    Only used one for the past two years of hiking.
    Girls came home with lice and my wife used my remaining 4 bags to store pillows in attic for a few months to kill the little buggers. Now I am afraid to use them.
    Need to pick up another box.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++