WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Length of Cord for Food Bag?

I recently purchased 30' of Paracord550. Is that enough length to properly hang a food bag over a tree branch on the AT? If it is too short I will get the 50' of the Paracord325.

I also read on this site that mice and coons have been known to climb down the cord to the food bag for a midnight snack. I am having a hard time justifying the cost for a Ursack so maybe there is an easy trick to prevent these critters from climbing down the cord??? Thanks!

I have never had an issue with mice or raccoons in my food. I am saying it can't happen because it is definitely possible but I wouldn't worry about it. I carry 50 ft which has always been plenty. 30 may work.

50 is reccomend for ease of getting the food hung properly. 30 will work, just not as often.

50' zpacks zline....never used as I sleep with my grub...never had an issue...not sure why I still carry it....have used it as a cloths line though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On my thru attempt last year, I carried around 75 feet of Paracord and that was way too much. Ended up cutting it down to around 50 feet, but even then I felt I had too much. I'd say stick to 30 and as for the mouse issue, I had one get up on a bear cable and into my bag over the "anti mouse and critter" thing that looks like a dogs cone of shame. Ate a Ramen pack and a bag of instant loaded baked potatoes. I wasn't too worried about other critters (bears, 'coons, and such). They only got me once though but I saw a few others along the way that had the same problem on bear cables. From then on, I slept with my food bag on and off, hanging it only when I thought bears might be in the area.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    50' zpacks zline....never used as I sleep with my grub...never had an issue...not sure why I still carry it....have used it as a cloths line though...

I forgot to add...my ratter(lilJack Russell)usually hikes with me...he's definitely an animal deterrent...

I've got 50ft of guyline, a caribiner, and a rock sack for PCT style hanging. It's almost 5oz and I really would like to toss it and sleep with my food too, but there are too many warnings recently about Yogi bear.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    I forgot to add...my ratter(lilJack Russell)usually hikes with me...he's definitely an animal deterrent...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ver4jqvtXQk

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlaze View Post
    I've got 50ft of guyline, a caribiner, and a rock sack for PCT style hanging. It's almost 5oz and I really would like to toss it and sleep with my food too, but there are too many warnings recently about Yogi bear.
    I'll fight yogi for my food!!!

Thirty foot of line will work on any suitable hang point no higher than fifteen foot to twenty foot using the pct method. Learn the pct method.

AT 2012

Go for fifty feet. It is hard enough to find a good branch for the pct method that it is worth the weight penalty to carry the extra line. And that comes from a gram weenie.
    Lazarus

Images

Call me silly, some say 30', others the full 50', I've used 40 for decades. 30 ain't quite enough sometimes, 50 is a bit too much. Voila, 40.

Journal Entries

30 isnt enough
    40 can work if find right height branc
    If dont, you need 50

Good branches are few and often higher than you expect when on a sloping hillside
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-22-2016 at 02:52.

Images

Mine started at 50, but over time I've cut bits and pieces off for other uses, so it's probably 30 or less. i can still make it work, but I do wish it were longer again. Weight penalty is pretty negligible.

I use the ZPacks bear bag kit which comes with 50'. Normally way too long, but I don't cut it because a) I might need some for other uses and b) it weighs 1.4oz. I do hang PCT style most of the time, but normally in GA I can find a decent branch that doesn't need all 50'.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I'm for the full fifty feet. Sometimes I've resorted to the "between two trees" method when there wasn't a good branch anywhere, and fifty feet was barely enough.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Long enough that a bear cant get to it.

I'm on the side of carrying 50ft. 20ft extra feet of paracord barely weighs anything so why not carrying it. It's the kind of thing that it's better to have and not need than need and not have.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikes in Rain View Post
    Mine started at 50, but over time I've cut bits and pieces off for other uses, so it's probably 30 or less. i can still make it work, but I do wish it were longer again. Weight penalty is pretty negligible.
    I too have been cutting bits off for miscellaneous projects. I don't really know how much is left. I'm usually in the "sleep with your food" camp, but will be hiking in SNP this summer and hanging may be necessary. Now I'm thinking I better go measure to see how much is left of my original 50' ZPacks line.

I use 50' slick line from zpacks. It is light, has a slippery coating, and the extra length helps when you can't find a good tree, which is often. I am all for cutting weight, but somethings are worth carrying.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++