WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Any good camp sites about 15 miles south of Rockfish Gap?

I have a weird timing restriction; I'm starting a 10-day section NOBO at the Tye river bridge, my wife dropping me off around noon, and I need to be in Waynesboro the following evening (no matter why this is). That's right at 30 miles in 1.5 days, no real problem except where to spend that intermediate night.

There is a shelter at about 9 miles (Maupin field), leaving a 21 MPD second day. There's also an established campsite at 17.5, but starting at noon, that's a stretch and it would be some late hiking.

So, I'm asking if any locals near there know if there are some good campsites in the 12-15 mile range north of the Tye river bridge road crossing.

Any thoughts appreciated!

The stretch between Reed's gap and Dripping Rock doesn't offer much in the way of campsites, if I recall correctly.A hammock would work though, plenty of trees.
    There is an area near Cedar Cliffs where camping is prohibited. After Laurel Springs things get better , and there's a nice dry campsite on Humpback Mt. (Tank up at Dripping Rock or Laurel Springs).

You might find something, but it will be tough. The trail parallels the Blue Ridge parkway along there, which it crosses several times. The trail tacks along the side of the ridge and is really rocky. I don't know about camping on Humpback Mt, that's a real popular day hike and if it's the weekend it's probably a real bad idea.

The climb up to Three Ridges is a bit of a grunt and with a noon start on the first day you may not want to go much farther then Maupin Field shelter. The good news is that it's a really easy hike from Maupin Field to Rockfish gap. If your not lugging much of any food and you have a reasonably light load, the 21 miles won't be too bad. Probably better doing it that way then trying to make a few extra miles and having to settle for a really poor and marginal campsite.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

A lot of the area between Reeds and Dripping Spring is a No Camp Zone. Pick up your water at the Dripping Springs road crossing or at one of the two springs afterward ( caution one of them sometiomes runs dry, the spring at the road is good and reliable). Continue nobo and when you see the Wintergreen Resort/ Condos off to your right as the trail goes along the edge of a cliff/drop off, look to your left and there are some great camping spots just off the trail. These spots are about a mile? north of the road-been a couple of years since I passed thru there, but I remember thinking wow what a great spot. There are a spot or two that are not so good just before you get to the side trail to Humpback Peak.

Images

I camped just north of the parkway at Dripping Rock, using a hammock. There are some houses back there, so I got further away from the road. (There are no camping signs on the trail south of the parkway here, but not north.) Also I did see some decent sites at the cliff area that jimmyjam mentioned, it's not a bad hike from the parkway.

Long couple of days you got yourself there, partner.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Long couple of days you got yourself there, partner.
    Yep. Only myself to blame, I keep creating these situations... After Rockfish though, I intend on a nice easy stroll through SNP, gouging at waysides, etc.

Anyway, thanks all! good info, and good advice Slo.... I might just do the 8.5-21 thing, or if weather is good and I feel saucy, I might try to make it to something like JimmyJ and BC are saying, because I'd sure rather do 15-14.5 than 8.5-21.

Again, thanks!

Images

Last Labor Day I went through there with my son. On one of the nights we camped at the Tye River and on the next day stopped at the Maupin Field Shelter and ate an early dinner, and then hiked on and camped about one mile past the Three Ridges Overlook on the first level ground that would hold two tents. The next morning prior to Cedar Cliffs we came upon an overlook. We walked down to it and there were nice views and room for several tents around it. We wish we would have walked to it and spent the night there because there were spectacular views. The overlook is about 5 miles past the Maupin Field shelter. If you stopped at that overlook, it would give you about a 14 mile day from the Tye River. It is well marked with an Overlook sign and it is about 100 yards downhill to it. As mentioned above, we filled up at the Dripping Rock spring at the Blue Ridge parkway. The spring a little up the hill was a seep. Someone on her familiar with the area may have more information about that area.

Images

BTW, that established campsite you referred to at 17.5 is the one mentioned above that has the view of Wintergreen. That campsite has more flat ground and campsites than the overlook.

++ New Posts ++