WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rattlesnake?

Default Rattlesnake?

In early spring, I'm usually scared to see a bear in Georgia. My bear paranoia is gone, but in with the new. I read an article where a guy came across an eastern diamond back rattle snake at tesnatee gap, real close to hog pen. Then I started googling rattlesnake on the AT in ga. Anyhow the guy seen it on August 8th, I was there August 12th. I've decided not to wear underwear under my shorts, just incase I see a rattlesnake, the terd will just hit the ground, lol jk...has anyone know of any other instances of rattlesnake on the AT in GA? When I look back, in August on the AT , vegetation on the trail is thick. What do y'all think? YouTube rattlesnake on the AT and you'll see what I'm talking about. Legends are made from people who wrestle rattlesnake on the AT

I didn't see the article, but I have always been under the impression that Copperheads and Timber Rattlers were the only venomous snakes one would see on the AT. I would have expected the large and dangerous Eastern Diamondback to be further East toward the coast or further down south. I never would have expected one to be in the AT mountains.

I saw a rattler (in the trail under a large rock shelf) a couple miles north of Neel Gap last May. He never bothered us and we never bothered him. Also at another spot, can't remember where, when a guy came up behind us and asked if we had seen the rattler along the trail a few hundred yards back. I never saw it. I am more worried about ticks (lyme disease, etc.) and mice (hantavirus) than rattlers. Gotta be careful for copperheads though too. I've never seen one, but always be careful where you sit down.

The one I saw was a timber rattler.

Rattle snakes are your friend. They eat mice. If you see one stretched out on the trail, just step over it, favoring the tail side. Don't poke it or otherwise annoy it and you'll be fine. Usually they have already moved out of the way when they feel you coming, but early in the morning when they are warming up on a sunny rock in the trail, they are still pretty sluggish.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

A copperhead fell out of the rafters at a shelter in VA.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    A copperhead fell out of the rafters at a shelter in VA.
    oof! I have never seen a snake at a shelter, kinda weird since they are full of mice.

Images

Rattlesnakes are the least of your worries. They are not looking for a fight with you and are nice enough to warn you if you come close. Yes, it will cause you to soil your shorts but dangerous it is not. Unless you are stupid enough to try a close up selfie. I have run into many rattlesnakes on the AT and PCT. I did some air running with one. Last one I saw was in PA. He was a beauty.
    image.jpeg

After many miles on the southern AT I saw my first one last summer outside hot springs...cool animals who deserve out respect and protection.....DO NOT KILL THEM!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timber rattler...

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaGump View Post
    In early spring, I'm usually scared to see a bear in Georgia. My bear paranoia is gone, but in with the new. I read an article where a guy came across an eastern diamond back rattle snake at tesnatee gap, real close to hog pen. Then I started googling rattlesnake on the AT in ga. Anyhow the guy seen it on August 8th, I was there August 12th. I've decided not to wear underwear under my shorts, just incase I see a rattlesnake, the terd will just hit the ground, lol jk...has anyone know of any other instances of rattlesnake on the AT in GA? When I look back, in August on the AT , vegetation on the trail is thick. What do y'all think? YouTube rattlesnake on the AT and you'll see what I'm talking about. Legends are made from people who wrestle rattlesnake on the AT
    Your in their home.
    If your not OK with it......stay away
    None of these things are anything to worry about.
    Be appreciative if you get a glimpse of wildlife.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-23-2016 at 22:07.

I'm sure avoiding a snake bite is quite simple unless you just wonder up on one or agitate one. I wouldn't want to see one at all. I believe seeing one would ruin it for me. I came across a huge cotton mouth 2 feet away and kept walking. Seeing a snake rattling at me would cause me to just freeze. I would literally stop drop and roll. Let me find a link to that story/article or whatever it is. It was a guy who left a comment , not an article my bad..here it is, scroll down to comments

I'm sure avoiding a snake bite is quite simple unless you just wonder up on one or agitate one. I wouldn't want to see one at all. I believe seeing one would ruin it for me. I came across a huge cotton mouth 2 feet away and kept walking. Seeing a snake rattling at me would cause me to just freeze. I would literally stop drop and roll. Let me find a link to that story/article or whatever it is. It was a guy who left a comment , not an article my bad..here it is, scroll down to comments
    The cotton mouth is a nasty sob. Rattlers don't want conflict where a moccasin will come after you. I've seen my fair share here in the swamps of Fl. I'd rather swim with a gator than a cotton mouth.....very unpredictable....nothing like a rattler. I mainly hike during the colder months therefor I rarely see any snakes....

Journal Entries

Timber rattlers are very, VERY, laid back. Unlike their tightly wound diamondback cousins.

Unless you step on a timber rattler, its probably not going to strike you. Most of the time it wont even rattle, just slink away. Or lay there watching you. People have picked them up without them rattling. No shortage of stories of snakes laying across trail and refusing to move.

A diamondback will generally let you know your too close beforehand. Bottom line is...you arent on the menu....they only act in self defense. Watch where you put hands,feet, and butt, and youll be fine.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-24-2016 at 00:44.

Default Hollywood gets one right

Having stepped off of a low ledge on the slopes of McCartney Mountain, Montana, directly over a rattler, I can say their rattle warning is very well simulated by Hollywood. I was in mid-stride when it sounded off and I somehow rocketed 5 yards instead of 1 yard on that stride. It was loud and distinct. I did not determine the species.

AO

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    If you see one stretched out on the trail, just step over it, favoring the tail side.
    My friend .... I don't know how many rattlesnakes you have encountered up there in Randolph, NH, but having lived my entire life in the swamps of SE Georgia, I am quite familiar with eastern diamondbacks and I can assure you that "stepping over" a rattlesnake will get you bit in short order. NEVER EVER "step over" a rattlesnake ... NEVER!!! The appropriate action is to give the viper PLENTY of distance and walk WAY THE HELL around.

This reminds me of the young yankee-feller that was passing through on his way to Florida about 5 years ago. He happened to see a big eastern db crossing the highway and stopped his car to show his friends how he could catch this big snake. Guess what? .... he barely made it to the Glynn County hospital in time and almost lost his arm from the resulting snake bite.

DON'T STEP OVER RATTLESNAKES!!!

OkeefenokeeJoe

Quote Originally Posted by OkeefenokeeJoe View Post
    My friend .... I don't know how many rattlesnakes you have encountered up there in Randolph, NH, but having lived my entire life in the swamps of SE Georgia, I am quite familiar with eastern diamondbacks and I can assure you that "stepping over" a rattlesnake will get you bit in short order. NEVER EVER "step over" a rattlesnake ... NEVER!!! The appropriate action is to give the viper PLENTY of distance and walk WAY THE HELL around.

This reminds me of the young yankee-feller that was passing through on his way to Florida about 5 years ago. He happened to see a big eastern db crossing the highway and stopped his car to show his friends how he could catch this big snake. Guess what? .... he barely made it to the Glynn County hospital in time and almost lost his arm from the resulting snake bite.

OkeefenokeeJoe
    Yep I agree in giving at least their body length plus alittle...timber rattlers are way less aggressive than EDB whe have in fl/ga

Quote Originally Posted by OkeefenokeeJoe View Post

OkeefenokeeJoe
    I've "stepped over" quite a few rattlesnakes in PA and other places along the AT. You often don't have any choice but to do so.

I don't plan on spending any time in the swamps of GA.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by juniorace View Post
    oof! I have never seen a snake at a shelter, kinda weird since they are full of mice.
    My daughter has. Bake Oven Knob Shelter on the AT in PA ...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rain Man; 03-24-2016 at 18:05.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++