WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default re: choosing a trail name

Hello,

I have read that most every AT thru hiker and many section hikers seem to have a trail name.. wanted or not. So looks like I need to come up with one or risk getting saddled with one I don't like.

How do I do this? Is it best to wait till I am on the trail this spring? Is there somewhere an index of previuosly used trail names to help avoid duplicating?

Are most trail names chosen by the hiker or given by others?

DavidNH

It's a non-issue. Pick your own or go with David.

Images

two dogs fu***n', that is the best one i've ever heard. if i was gonna duplicate a trail name that would be it. what a way to introduce yourself.

I once knew a dog called Two people copulating
    I knew a harelip dog, went by Mark
    LW is right, don't matter and never did

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

I gotta dog named NERMAL..Nermal ain't Normal.
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

in 04 i figured trail names were like screen names, so i used my screen name...come to find out in 03 a girl thruhiked named burn...in 05 she thruhiked the pct hiking from time to time with a guy i started with at springer (Wildcat). She's the real hiker, i just build a mean fire at trail days.

think i'm gonna go for a walk tomorrow in the snow so i don't get too outta shape. sidez, i like to end the year hiking...06 should be a great year

when people ask, answer "just david". They will say "no, really, what is your trail name?" and you answer, "Just David". Just David is your trail name.

Justdavid:

congrats.....you've just been named!

Mongoose

Images

I think your trail name should be Mark. When anyone asks "Just Mark?", you can reply, "Yeah, Mark. But my real name is David." If they ask why, tell then some idiot on Whiteblaze suggested it. It probably wouldn't be the worst advice someone had taken from here!

What's your trailname? "Pardon me" What's your trailname? "Pardon me" Oh, never mind...

If you get saddled with one you don't like, just don't answer to it. You don't have to let others define you, on trail or off.

Section Hiking to Maine. little bear's Avatar
    Images

I got my trail name 20 years ago when I was 5 by my father who hiked and enjoyed the outdoors, so when i started section hiking I used it. I know there is another guy out there with the same trail name(Little Bear) but it a cool name, and I have to keep it. If you don't get one before you start your hike don't worry someone will give you one.
    Happy Hikes
    Little Bear

Section Hiker - 900 miles TooTall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH
    I have read that most every AT thru hiker and many section hikers seem to have a trail name.. wanted or not. So looks like I need to come up with one or risk getting saddled with one I don't like...

Are most trail names chosen by the hiker or given by others?
    David,

You really can't get saddled with one you don't like. It's your decision to accept and use any trail name someone else suggests for you. If you choose a name before you get on the trail other hikers will accept it. Or you can wait and let a name choose you as you start the hike. When other hikers know you don't have a trail name they will be very helpful in suggesting a trail name.

I started my hike with my choice of Too Tall and kept it. I've since added my first name because a couple other hikers use that trail name. I also could have switched my trail name. I scooped up an inattentive mouse with my hand and, not knowing what else to do with it, tossed it down the hill in front of the shelter in the Smokies. Other hikers there suggested the name Mouse Bouncer but, even though I liked it, I stayed with Too Tall.

Too Tall Paul
    "He who knows others is learned; he who knows himself is wise." - Tao Te Ching

Non issue....it's not what they call you it's what you answer to.
    "you ain't settin your sights to high son, but if you want to follow in my tracks I'll help ya up the trail some."

Rooster Cogburn.

mouse bouncer...nice

i handed out a few true to character trail names that weren't accepted.

leki-less was named wrong head cause he lost his leki's using his wrong head on day 1, and Xena was named stud finder on day 3 cause she invited all the guys into the shelter but passed on DeJa when she walked in in the rain.

and i wouldn't worry...folks throw out names all the time...dave and miranda just wouldn't take any number of great trail names...which is fine, but man some of the names just stand out, and they were great hikers

I don't have a trail name either. I have used one (mama zen) for a few years while caring for a shelter in Harriman park NY, but want one to "come" to me on the trail, plus I would rather not have a "female" sounding name just for safety sake.

mama zen, Red Dog 04 told the story of how a grand mother was at springer with her grand daughter and was very concerned about the beautiful young lady. The guys suggested a mean and nasty trail name so that no guys following would hunt her down. They named her dragon slayer. A real fun trail name for a wonderful young lady...good luck!

Most times you can tell a female hiker by her handwriting, regardless of trail name.
    Everyone chooses their own trail name...or not to have one. Bottom line.

thanks everyone. My main concern was getting saddled with one I don't like. On the Long trail a couple years ago..I got saddled with Saturday. I will be something else on the AT.

And "just david" is not it.

Untill I come up with something good.. I hope to just be known by my real name.. David ..um...that is not Dave but David. It's bad enough to be saddled with a nick name I don't like out in society!

Nean..how can you tell a hiker is a woman just by her hand writing? Is it that they are so much neater (sp?)?

I use the callsign I had when in the Air Force. My boss and I came up with a motto for our Intelligence Watch Center - Semper gumby - Always flexible, because our tasking was constantly changing. He gave me the callsign and I used that for over 10 years.
    Namaste

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++