WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What do you use to hang socks on pack?

What do you use to hang your socks on your pack?

I plan on switching out my socks halfway through the day and hanging a pair on the back of my pack to dry while I hike. From what I have read, this is a common practice.

I was thinking about using a metal safety pin but I am wondering if that is dangerous considering I am also carrying a inflatable sleeping pad. Also curious if safety pin is reliable enough to hold my socks when they bush up against trees, snags, etc. Thanks!

Little mesh type laundry bag.

Use to loose socks all the time when I'd safety pin em.

Journal Entries

Ive never had any problem , a couple of safety pins are permanent fixtures on my pack.

But my socks are small, and pins are good sized 1.5" or so. You can get big strong safety pins.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-25-2016 at 01:46.

safety pins

Safety pins. I use some old baby diaper pins that have a locking head on them, not sure where these can be purchased today given most people with infants prefer the convenience of disposable diapers.

I have used mesh sacks, though the ones I found work best are the large weave plastic mesh bags that onions come in. Just have to make sure the opening end is rolled over a few times and maybe some gorilla tape to support the opening or they can tear off easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Safety pins. I use some old baby diaper pins that have a locking head on them, not sure where these can be purchased today given most people with infants prefer the convenience of disposable diapers.

I have used mesh sacks, though the ones I found work best are the large weave plastic mesh bags that onions come in. Just have to make sure the opening end is rolled over a few times and maybe some gorilla tape to support the opening or they can tear off easily.
    nice, just saved me an ounce, tanks.

I use bread bag tabs (the square tab with cutout notch). Put the sock around the shock cord and secure with the tab. Also use them to hang and dry clothes in camp, so I usually have about 6 - 8 with me.

Garlic
    Images

Another option, one I haven't used in a while, is metal shower curtain rings. They're a lighter option than carabiners for other items, too, though they don't look as cool.

I carry a couple of heavy safety pins, more for gear repair than hanging clothing. I agree they're a little wimpy if bushwhacking is involved.

My current method is to just wear the wet socks dry. From my experience on my AT thru, it was generally too humid for clothing items to dry on the pack. Or it was more likely raining. I did okay if socks were clean and damp.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Diaper Pins.

Images

PLUS 1 for baby diaper safety pins they have a locking head that must be pulled up before they can be undone, 4 for 3 to 5 bucks. I have never lost a sock, a hat or bandanna secured this way.

Images

My main pack, a ULA OHM, plus most of my other packs (lots of various Osprey's) all have side compression cords or straps, I simply tuck my socks under these cords/straps, one on either side, and make sure the cords are tight, as they should be anyway to keep the pack compressed. There is no need for any other "hardware" on packs with side compression cords, which most packs have. I also hang my little backpack towel/chamois this way to dry.

Journal Entries

I used to use safety pins, but they rust. My pack has four loops on the top that work well for me to stuff a sock through to let it dry. My backup plan is my husband, who walks behind me.

compression straps or the upper cinch for ice axe/hiking poles...

Brass or stainless steel safety pins from a fabric store. They are of higher quality than the dollar store safety pins. Never lost a sock to a safety pin failure yet. Wish I could say the same drying socks out too close to a fire.

Safety pins and/or the bungee that criss cross the back of the pack. However hanging my socks out to dry pretty much guarantees that it will rain, so the question really is "where do you hang your socks out to get wet?"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    My main pack, a ULA OHM, plus most of my other packs (lots of various Osprey's) all have side compression cords or straps, I simply tuck my socks under these cords/straps, one on either side, and make sure the cords are tight, as they should be anyway to keep the pack compressed. There is no need for any other "hardware" on packs with side compression cords, which most packs have. I also hang my little backpack towel/chamois this way to dry.
    ^This +1. I've done this for years and never lost a sock.
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 2,078 miles and counting!

Images

SS Safety pins, one sock on each side of pack with my underwear hanging in the middle like all good hiker trash.

Why take a spare pair of socks to wear while hiking? One pair to hike in (rinse as needed) and one dry pair for sleeping.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Straps. Compression or daisy chain straps.
    Has anyone seen a proper daisy chain or useable, secure external pocket recently?

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++