WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Default "Winter trail" blue blaze side trail at Lehigh Gap PA (Palmerton)

I will be doing a SOBO section hike in May ending in Lehigh gap PA. I am trying to avoid the last mile drop into the gap. Looks very bad going up and I am not going to attempt it going down. Has anyone used the "winter trail" by pass? How steep? How rocky? any other info? How close does it depart the A.T. from the view at the top? Thanks.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Images

Live nearby and have hiked it a few times. both up and down. It is the blue route. It is nicely graded and takes you out, NW for about half a mile before bringing you down to the rail trail. It gets a lot of use. There are a lot of "stones", although I wouldn't use the term rocks, as it isn't really that bad. In terms of AT it really isn't a bad hike whatsoever.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

97 views and no replies?
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Images

Well, I guess I got one. Thanks

Images

I was also waiting for a reply since I'll be heading Nobo through there in a couple weeks. Very concerned about that climb out of Lehigh Gap.
    Simple is good.

Images

the climb really isn't that bad. it isn't technical, other than some scrambling and pulling yourself over a few big rocks. I admit the first time I did it in 2002, I was worried, I kept waiting for the big hard stuff to come and before I knew it I was on the other side of the ridge, wondering "What in the hell was I so worried about". Granted there is exposure and the wind can be nasty, but it is part of the experience. If you really don't want to do ti, Just follow the Rail Trail N out of the upper Parking lot (on East side of river) about 1/2 mile to the junction of the blue (winter) trail and turn right. You'll be up there in no time
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post
    the climb really isn't that bad. it isn't technical, other than some scrambling and pulling yourself over a few big rocks. I admit the first time I did it in 2002, I was worried, I kept waiting for the big hard stuff to come and before I knew it I was on the other side of the ridge, wondering "What in the hell was I so worried about". Granted there is exposure and the wind can be nasty, but it is part of the experience. If you really don't want to do ti, Just follow the Rail Trail N out of the upper Parking lot (on East side of river) about 1/2 mile to the junction of the blue (winter) trail and turn right. You'll be up there in no time
    Toolshed, thanks for the words of encouragement. There are times my mind is my worst enemy, and if I don't do it I'll wish I did.
    Simple is good.

++ New Posts ++