Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Journal Entries

Thanks Naysjp! I have been looking for a lady hiking partner for quite a while so I think I will look into that "Dames" club. It's great to know I am not the only hefty lady out there heaving and gasping up the mountainsides and loving every minute of it! Or at least the minute at the top .

My husband is retired Army and he is the one that really turned me on to hiking a couple of years ago. Since then, with a back torn up by jumping out of airplanes, he has had at least 2 back surgeries and that has really limited his ability to go with me. Apparently, this hiking thing we did that one time wasn't really suppose to "take" with me, as he does like it, but not even close to as much as I do, so he pretty much just tolerates it for my benefit most of the time. He won't hear of me ever going alone, so that leaves me looking for someone to hike with around home.

I said all that to say this... Army dude is constantly under-estimating my will and joy at getting it done. We are both really heavy, almost the same size in fact. He has been steadily proven wrong. Yes, it often takes longer than we planned. Yes, we have had to night hike a time or two because we didn't make it to camp before dark. Yes, we had to set up in the rain and in the dark. OH Yeah, it has HURT!! Yes, I have been scared I couldn't go on any farther (PMT). BUT..... I always did anyway. I was so relieved to see our truck at the end of the PMT I cried, I mean sobbed, like a toddler, as soon as I saw it!! And now I want to go do it again!
    " Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Journal Entries

OH... and I carry a ridiculously heavy pack. I don't every do base weight, because who cares about the least amount of weight you carry? You are only ever concerned about the most amount of weight you might carry, so my pack fully loaded with water and food and ready to walk day 1 is at around 40 pounds. Again... Don't care. I have what I need and a few things I want. I'll carry a stationwagon if it makes me happy and I can huff it.
    " Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

does any females have any suggestions on clothing...i'm about a 16 and REI and different sites don't go up that high. Im also afraid i wear yoga pants they will rub together in between my thighs and tear a whole because that happens with gap yoga pants when i job. any help welcome. thanks

REI does have some size 16 slacks. Try Mountain Hardwear. I get my shirts from Wally World because they're loose, comfortable, effective (wick moisture and stay cool) and cheap. Don't skimp on the pants and shorts though.
    ...the maddest of all is to see life as it is, and not as it should be. Cervantes

Images

Carissa,
    I have hiked in Yoga type pants and never had a problem on week long hikes. For my SOBO hike I'm heading out on in 10 days I bought a Nike athletic skirt at Kohls, and ordered womens jockey type underwear from Amazon to wear under for protection of the thigh rub. I've been doing practice hikes in Maine the past month and very happy with that set up. For pants I got a pair at Bealls in Florida size 18 Columbia brand. T-shirts I found extra large merino wool at Cabella's for reasonable price. You don't have to go to the outfitters for hiking clothes, what's comfortable and works for you is just fine.

Big ladies we won't let others opinions stop us. We can hike as well as others, just plan on extra caution for joint strain, and extra time if we're a little slower. Hike your own Hike.

Well I only got thru half the response before I have to butt in.
    YES , YES AND YES.
    You can hike at any weight . Yes there are overweight people out there.
    I seen tons of thin people with issues with their knees.
    I would suggest working on strengthening that knee for saying anything about weight loss.
    Seriously I am 5 ft 1inch and drum roll...weight 256lbs and I hike all over the smokey mountains and WILL be thru hiking the AT IN 2019.
    Get out there and do what you love...hike.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

I'm 43 yo, 5'2, did weigh in at 189, (with thyroid and hormonal issues) I struggled to lose weight and no matter how much I worked out and how many calories I counted (1200 day) I could only drop 1/2 lb here or there. I finally spoke to a dietitian. She told me I wasn't eating enough. That I needed to eat at least 1800 calories, and that I should be eat 5 small meals a day (breakfast-snack-lunch-snack-dinner). She explained that when you skip meals and eat once or twice a day (I was eating dinner only) that your body stores what you eat as fat because your body doesn't know when it's going to get it's next meal, so it basically goes into starvation mode. I started eating breakfast than a hard boiled egg between each meal.....I started dropping weight like crazy. I am now down to 134, and I am happy at that weight. When I slip and forget my snacks, I do tend to put weight back on after a few days.
    Just my 2 cents, and personal experience.

Can you advice how to loose weight 6-8 pounds in 1 month. We are going to have hiking with boyfriend in April and I'd like to prepare to it

Quote Originally Posted by Kasandra View Post
    Can you advice how to loose weight 6-8 pounds in 1 month. We are going to have hiking with boyfriend in April and I'd like to prepare to it
    Get a good scale. Get an app called Lose It. Record your weight every morning into the app. The app will tell you how many calories you are allowed to have per day. Record what you eat into the app and it will tell you what you have left. Don't buy groceries to fill the fridge... Best to have nothing to tempt you in the evening because I recommend you only eat between 11and5 pm. You will lose weight and learn what food works best because you will weigh yourself every mornibg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Let me go

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++