WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    Pfft, most of us are damned good looking... from a distance.
    HA HA! Touche!

Quote Originally Posted by Casey & Gina View Post
    I got arrested for it in Maryland and had do do a little community service for it. That was embarrassing! As far as I'm aware there was no risk of being considered a "sex offender" since you aren't assaulting anyone by walking around in the woods without clothes. I was also in a state park with a lot more people than the trail is likely to have on it, with easy access for police and the like to respond to reports. Personally I wouldn't worry too much about it on the AT, especially if others are doing it too. That said, if you do get caught, while you probably won't be labelled a sex offender, you may not like the embarrassing consequences!

Thanks for addressing the Crime and Punishment aspect which was how I started the post. Most replies were in the Yeah or Nah opinion variety more than weighing the their options based on potential punishment.

Interestingly, I read the it's legal to be naked in public in VT, but not to take your clothes off in public. It's kind of an anti-flasher laws.

Not sure how that would work on the trail. Would it be OK to strip in your tent then hike naked?

One of the girls hiking up ahead of me in the Shenandoah got a ticket for hiking naked. As I recall back in 14 that was a miserable day, lots of rain and a bit on the cool side, and (thankfully) I didn't see a single naked person all day.

I always thought the idea was pretty asinine, walking around in your birthday suit when the object is to not be self-conscious, to enjoy the outdoors and not be distracted by various controversies like our lives are inundated with these days, I thought most of us want to get away from drama and politics. Personally I think the Puritans get a bad rap being called repressed when in fact they did not want things hidden. And with farm animals around all the time our distant forebears were never particularly modest about the body and its functions. In Europe you can take a pee I hear if it is done properly outdoors instead of being forced to go into a plastic contraption called a porto-potty. Urine is generally sterile so what's the bit deal?

On the legal front it would depend on getting caught and ID'd, so probably someone would have to be really indiscrete and stupid, and either high on something or otherwise impaired. With a good chunk of the internet filled with nudity, I don't know why anyone cares anymore except for using the kiddy excuse, like young people are scarred by seeing someone naked.

Journal Entries

Think about the ticks....

Quote Originally Posted by mortonjl View Post
    Think about the ticks....
    Have you ever noticed how much effort ticks put into getting off of exposed skin and under clothes?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

I was reading about a summer camp that Paul Hoffman went to, Quaker I think in the country where the youth were encouraged to be nude outside in laboring tasks, etc.. I'm sure those days are long gone.

Some trails might be a bit busy to hike naked. But if you haven't seen a soul in hours and aren't near a road or trailhead, why not air it out for an hour or two? Be ready to cover up if you find someone approaching, but they won't be permanently scarred if they catch a glimpse of your stuff. A little common sense goes a long way.
    "I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list." - S. Sontag

In honor of Hiking Naked Day and to give more attention to the often ignored Human Perineum---that space of skin between the bung and the "privates"---I offer this short except from my trail journal dated October 28, 2014.

THE PALE PERINEUM
    When is the last time a human perineum got the full sun of day? Ponder this question as you plan your next trip and the next time you pay for a tanning bed tell them you're most interested in browning your perineum to the exclusion of the rest of your body. Who knows, they might have a room set up just to tan perineums. Slap an ultraviolet lamp up against your 'Neum and see what happens. It'll be like a tailgate barbecue before a Florida game, "tailgate" being the apt analogy ha ha ha.

THIS SHOULD BE AN "ASK JEREMY AND JACKIE BLOWHOLE---BACKPACKING EXPERTS" QUESTION
    "Is it important to get alot of sunlight during a backpacking trip?"

BLOWHOLES
    Yes, especially on the perineum. Even though Jackie and I hike naked, our perineums stay shaded and never get any sun so often we have to stop and do spread-eagle handstands in the sun by the trail. If the sun is at 12 noon we get wonderfully browned perineums which is important at AT shelters when we bend over to put in tent stakes and the shelter hikers can't help but see our glowing brown hued bung areas. Therefore all efforts should be made to tan this most alluring of body parts, the human perineum.

But since the Blowholes are on vacation they won't be able to respond to this question.

I might have missed it being mentioned...when is NHD? I'm hitting the AT in 10 days and would like to avoid it, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Heather1027 View Post
    I might have missed it being mentioned...when is NHD? I'm hitting the AT in 10 days and would like to avoid it, lol
    Summer Solstice. It happens every year. Hard to avoid.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
++ New Posts ++