WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Need help selecting new gloves

I've got a couple of trips planned this summer, one at altitude and one in Northern Europe. I'd like to buy a new pair of gloves that will keep my hands warm/dry (for more than 45 minutes). I've been able to get away with light running gloves on most of my prior hikes because I've only been caught in bad weather for short sections. However, I've found if I'm at altitude with the wind blowing my hands get cold quickly when wet. I can deal with one but not both. Unfortunately or fortunately, living in GA doesn't allow me to duplicate those conditions.

I have a pair of fleece gloves so I either need a shell recommendation or I can leave them at home with a different glove choice. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by evyck da fleet View Post
    I've got a couple of trips planned this summer, one at altitude and one in Northern Europe. I'd like to buy a new pair of gloves that will keep my hands warm/dry (for more than 45 minutes). I've been able to get away with light running gloves on most of my prior hikes because I've only been caught in bad weather for short sections. However, I've found if I'm at altitude with the wind blowing my hands get cold quickly when wet. I can deal with one but not both. Unfortunately or fortunately, living in GA doesn't allow me to duplicate those conditions.

I have a pair of fleece gloves so I either need a shell recommendation or I can leave them at home with a different glove choice. Thanks in advance.
    You want mittens for real cold. Shells and liners suit me.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I still have not found the perfect gloves...
    Durable enough to use with poles, a shell to withstand rain, with just enough insulation to keep my hands warm but not too sweaty when it is not too cold outside.
    I would like to hear some suggestions also!

I recently got a set of Head Digital Touch (works with smartphones) Running Gloves from Costco. Silicone pattern on palms and fingers for grip. Interior appears to be fleece. 1.9 ounces. $12.99. Costco SKU# 643472.

Thin, easily packable, but seems like they should be sufficient for cold nights down to the 40's. I can't say for sure, but that is about how they look, temperaturewise. No rain protection.

http://costcocouple.com/head-digital...running-glove/
    Last edited by Vegan Packer; 03-30-2016 at 02:14.
    "Not many miles, but a whole lot of smiles." Vegan Packer

This is what I use. http://m.duluthtrading.com/store/men...ves/11064.aspx

I have terrible circulation and found these to be the only gloves to keep my hands warm. Fleece liner. Shell is also lightly insulated. Trigger finger style give me more dexterity then just mittens. I have a pair for hiking and work. I'm outside construction year round. Duluth also have some other shells for warmer temps.

Fleece mittens and wind/water shells have served me well in some brutal White Mountain winter conditions.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

What fleece mittens do you like slo-go'en?

Quote Originally Posted by jshannon View Post
    What fleece mittens do you like slo-go'en?
    The ones I used for a long time were made by Chouinard and designed for ice climbers and used a heavy duty and thick mitten. I wore out the shells which were poly-urethane coated nylon with a non slip coating on the palms.

I replaced them with shells and mittens made locally by "Ragged Mountain", but I think you can only get them at their retail store in Intervale, NH and in season. These are not nearly as heavy duty as the old Chouinard ice climbing ones, but work well for general hiking in all but the most extreme winter conditions.
    Last edited by Slo-go'en; 03-30-2016 at 11:15.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

In deep cold, I like a three-layer system: wind/rain shell, fleece glove or mitt, and ultrathin glove liner. The innermost liners are for doing delicate tasks like tying a knot or working a camera. My fleece gloves and shell mitts are a brand that I never heard of, that turned up at TJ Maxx (or was it Marshall's?) of all places, and the glove liners are from EMS.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

++ New Posts ++