WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    GA-ME 2011
    Images

I used the SMD Lunar Solo on my thru. 24 oz., $215, full bug protection, big enough for you and your pack.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

If you want cheap look for Hiker/Biker tent. Non standalone oversized bivy. Used one for years on bicycle touring trips

Are hammocks allowed on the AT? I know they aren't in some portion s of the Smokies, but my whole setup it's less than 2 lbs and much more comfy than laying on the ground...

Cheers,
    the Goat

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat View Post
    Are hammocks allowed on the AT? I know they aren't in some portion s of the Smokies, but my whole setup it's less than 2 lbs and much more comfy than laying on the ground...

Cheers,
    the Goat
    Hammocks are absolutely allowed on the AT, and are another option for the OP. To my knowledge, they are not permitted through the Smokies.

Registered User displacedbeatnik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat View Post

Cheers,
    the Goat
    Not gonna lie. I fear falling out of a hammock seriously. So I'm definitely going to end up buying something on the ground.
    AT Leapfrogging in 2016i (Central Virginia next) http://walkinghometodc.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by displacedbeatnik View Post
    Not gonna lie. I fear falling out of a hammock seriously. So I'm definitely going to end up buying something on the ground.
    Don't be afraid. A decent gathered end hammock almost won't let you fall out. Camping hammocks are a completely different affair from the net and bar backyard hammock you find at the hardware store. There are many cottage vendors that sell a solid quality hammock for much less than what you would pay for a tent and the weight savings is undeniable. There is a bit of a learning curve to setup and staying warm in cold conditions (you need to have your underside covered to keep warm below 55-60f) but I have almost considered getting rid of my bed in favor of a hammock at home. It's that comfy.

Cheers,
    the Goat

Journal Entries
    Images

It does. Though my decision is infinitely harder now. The scout is a nice option.
    IMO the scout is not A bad tent,It certainly is a little heavy but not four pounds,I used it on a small loop hike that was three nights and two days recently and I liked how easy it was to set up and the amount of room it had inside(more than I thought) room for me and the pooch(a pitbull) and most of our gear inside as well and we slept comfy.
    As I said earlier check out anti gravity gear and if ordered through them you get tyvek and stakes for free.
    Only downside is that you have to seam seal yourself ,also free priority shipping.

Also, if you are intent on staying on the geound, check out the Alps mountaineering zephyr 1. We have two of the zephyr II's and have been in some pretty heavy weather with them. We got ours for under $100 and full weight with stock everything is just barely over 4lbs. If you change out the lines to zing it and ditch a few stakes and bags you can trim weight even more. Tent goes up super easy and fast and it's pretty tough. I had my doubts when we got them, but they have proven themselves worthy. Check steepandcheep.com or whiskeymilitia.com for them. Almost always on one of those sites and almost always under $100. Good luck!

Cheers,
    the Goat

FYI, I have a Big Agnes Scout UL2 (not to be confused with the Scout referenced above) listed for sale in the For Sale section of the forum if you are interested...it's a great tent worth consideration. Tarps are not something I would consider as I want a complete barrier between me and insect life. With the addition of an optional footprint it's still only 2lbs and is quite roomy inside, much moreso than most other ultralight tents. You don't even have to use trekking poles to pitch it - my preferred way to pitch it was to put it between a couple trees, and tie the upper roof corners to the tree trunks.

Personally, though it was a great minimalist tent, I ended up being happy to carry four extra pounds for a more versatile double-wall tent with a big vestibule (Hilleberg Anjan 3GT). I share it the tent my wife and child, and the Scout is surprisingly plenty big for this, since you can fit two 25" wide rectangular sleeping pads in it easily, however condensation is an issue as it is in any single-wall tent. Not a big issue as it isn't a big deal but something to think about. With the double-wall condensation is no longer an issue as it collects on the outer tent so the fabric I brush up against when moving around in the morning is dry, and if wind starts shaking the condensation off, it hits the outer side of the inner tent and runs down, instead of me, my sleeping bag, etc. I also like having a huge vestibule that we can fit all our gear comfortably into with room to spare for easy entry/exit. I use a big external frame pack and my wife has a child carrier with a big frame. The Scout has plenty of room in the foot end for gear, but consider setting up camp in the rain - I'd rather leave my wet gear out in the vestibule and keep the inner tent completely dry. Lastly, heavier tent fabrics are more durable, no question about it. Durability doesn't often matter all that much, but when a branch falls on your tent during a rainstorm, you might care more. Plenty of thru hikers get by with ultralight tents though, and no fabric is indestructible. Another criticism of the Scout is that it has wraparound mesh ventilation - this is nice a lot of the time as it helps offset the condensation issue, but if it's a chilly and windy night, the wind will flow right through the tent. If your sleeping bag isn't particularly warm this will cause it to be even less warm. A tent which serves as an effective windblock can help you retain a lot of heat.

These are just some things to think about when you are looking at different tent options. In short, I do believe a minimal tent like the Scout is a fantastic option for thru hiking, particularly if you are okay with using shelters to offset the shortcomings. Personally, I find the additional comforts of a heavier tent to be worth the weight, but A> I will not sleep in a shelter unless I absolutely have to, and B> I have my wife and son to think about too. When I was solo I used a hammock all the time and really enjoyed it.
    Last edited by Casey & Gina; 03-30-2016 at 12:04.

As a ground dweller I prefer a full blown tent but....
    If I were to be a shelter hopper I would definitely consider this.

http://www.zpacks.com/shelter/hexamid_pocket.shtml

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I'm now leaning towards either the SMD Skyscape Scout or Sierra Designs Flashlight 1 (because backcountry.com has it deeply on sale right now) using trekking poles for setup.
    AT Leapfrogging in 2016i (Central Virginia next) http://walkinghometodc.wordpress.com

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I'm now leaning towards either the SMD Skyscape Scout or Sierra Designs Flashlight 1 (because backcountry.com has it deeply on sale right now) using trekking poles for setup.
    As I said earlier I recommend the scout from antigravitygear.
    It was A roomy tent and I liked the easy set up.
    Also IMO polyester is stronger than silnylon if you dont mind the extra weight.
    This tent is 36 ounces and honestly I like mine alot.
    Not sure how much ill be using it this summer or on my thru hike now that I have the deshutes plus,but still will keep it in my collection,if the trekker comes out again I will definatly pick it up as well.

Quote Originally Posted by left52side View Post
    As I said earlier I recommend the scout from antigravitygear.
    Isn't that the same tent or am I missing something? http://www.antigravitygear.com/shop/...t-solo-tent-2/

Quote Originally Posted by displacedbeatnik View Post
    Isn't that the same tent or am I missing something? http://www.antigravitygear.com/shop/...t-solo-tent-2/
    It's the same. AGG is a retailer for SMD and other cottage companies.

Journal Entries
    Images

Isn't that the same tent or am I missing something?http://www.antigravitygear.com/shop/...t-solo-tent-2/
    Yes it is the same tent,just when you order from antigravitygear you get free usps priority shipping usually ships same day and comes with tyvek and titanium tent stakes.
    Also just a friendly company and has helped me alot in the many questions I have had for them.

Quote Originally Posted by left52side View Post
    Yes it is the same tent,just when you order from antigravitygear you get free usps priority shipping usually ships same day and comes with tyvek and titanium tent stakes.
    Cool. I will order it from them for sure then if that's the one I choose (which it 80% will be).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++