WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default another loop review

any thoughts on this loop (or recs for others in the ~35 mile range)? Trying to get new miles in, I've done many of the other popular loop areas - Sterling, Gregory, Cataloochee, Deep Creek, Smokemont

Day 1 - Clingman's down Forney Ridge/Creek to cs 70. 8.5 miles
    Day 2 - Up Jonas Creek/Welch Ridge to the AT and Double Spring Gap shelter. 7.7 miles
    Day 3 - Down Goshen Prong/up Little River to cs 24. 8.7 miles
    Day 4 - up Rough Creek/Sugarland to AT and back to Clingmans 11.8 miles (may shorten this day and stay a 4th night at Mt Collins, still mulling)

many thanks

yeah dude, sounds like a plan --these are all fun miles, IMO. the Forney creek fords are a bear in high water, so come with decent water shoes.

we're getting in to thruhiker season... better get those shelter reservations asap if you're aiming for this Spring.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

That's two killer hills in one trip. Great if you are prepared for it... but unless you know how you would fair, you might consider that extra night at Collins, there's still some climbing to do from there, and if you get there and still feel good, you can still exit early. Worst case is you blow the cost of one night in the back country, but given yourself an option.
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 03-29-2016 at 18:39.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Couple of other loops to consider in that area that don't require as much hill climbing as that loop.

Clingman's Dome to Noland Divide to Noland Creek thru the tunnel to nowhere and back up Forney Creek. To get from Clingmans Dome to Noland Divide, hike the AT towards Collins... but about half way there, you come to a saddle where you can cut over to Clingman's Dome Road. It's around 1/2 mile back up the road towards the dome to get to Noland Divide. It's about 3/4 of a mile of road walking g from Noland Creek to the tunnel.

Go down Forney Ridge to Spring House Branch. Hike down to 74. Next day, hike back up Spring House and down toward Forney Creek. You can return to Clingman's Dome via Forney Creek or Jonas Creek.

Thanks for the tips. Would be a solo trip so maybe I should steer clear of Forney Creek if the fords are substantial? Would be for this weekend, cooler forecast, not sure what levels the creek will be at right about now?

Are there many fords along Noland Creek?

Images

you'll have some fords along noland between CS 64 and 61....

the lower ones, obviously, will be wider and deeper than the upper ones----but i found these fords easier than forney.........

much of that area will be under flood watch this weekend. good luck..

Images

just got back from eagle creek trail water is not too high, naturally made it all the way to the 18th crossing before slipping and getting but wet, eagle creek trail is 9 for solitude less welcome are all the dead hemlocks, they are falling everywhere.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

The big Noland Creek crossing are on bridges. Only the upper most crossing mentioned is unbridged. By comparison, all the Forney crossing are unbridged, and the worst of Noland is easier than the easiest of Forney.

Thanks for posting this.

279.6 Miler (Tanyard Gap) CamelMan's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I've only taken Forney Ridge down to Andrews Bald so I can only speak for the TN side of your hike. The Goshen Prong Trail is nice, in a valley next to the river once you make the initial descent. It's been over a year since I've hiked the Rough Creek Trail and I was in bad shape at the time, so my remembering it as being a little strenuous near the top is probably nothing. At least the steep part will be short.

The Sugarland Mtn Trail is pretty easy. From the Sugarland Mtn trail you'll be able to get a view of the Chimney Tops through some breaks in the trees, so that's a bonus. I didn't go all the way to Clingman's but it didn't seem too bad, except for that unnecessary dip into Collins Gap.

++ New Posts ++