WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Water Storage

Default Water Storage

On my last section hike I ran into a guy at one of the shelters who, instead of going back and forth to the water source, had a collapsible water container. I thought I might want to try this as it would make dish washing significantly easier along with just having a decent amount of water readily available. I tried looking online, but people seem to say that the cheaper tanks tear almost immediatley, but I can't seem to find any alternative. Any suggestions on where I might find something like this? Is it even worth it?
    Thanks!

I just use my Platy bag for that. Usually fill it shortly after making camp, and then I'm set for the evening. Maybe even to the next water source in the morning.

If water is a distance from camp, I have 2 clean water bottles so I filter and fill those, then carry 2.5 liters unfiltered in sawyer squeeze bags. I filter them later. that one trip will be plenty for evening and next morning. For the future I am thinking of doing gravity filtering so I may change this up somewhat.

I just bought one of these, https://www.rei.com/product/847589/s...c:cse_PLA_GOOG

Expensive, but 1 ounce holds 10 liters folds to nothing

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hosh View Post
    I just bought one of these, https://www.rei.com/product/847589/s...c:cse_PLA_GOOG

Expensive, but 1 ounce holds 10 liters folds to nothing
    I have one of those also, and a piece of car chamois from the dollar store. There's nothing like being able to spread out my tent footprint, sit down next to a bucket of water, and have a bath at the end of a sweaty day. It also gives me a place to hold the rinse water when I'm washing my socks on the trail. (The soapy water can go in my cookpot.) And it's a way to haul 'dirty' water to treat it away from the source, particularly nice if the stream bank is muddy or slippery without a good place to sit. If someone's doing a campfire, I also feel a lot safer with a half a bucket of water sitting around in case a spark hits someone's tent or something.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

The one I posted earlier will not stand up on it's own, it needs to hung.

I think this one is self standing, http://www.seatosummit.com/product/?...=0&o2=0&o3=371 and it's a bit heavier.

Images

Another vote for the Sea to Summit Ultra Sil! https://www.rei.com/product/847589/s...c:cse_PLA_GOOG

Yes, it needs to hang off something, but that is easy enough to do via tree, trekking pole/tent pole, or shelter hooks. I like being able to haul water up to my camp site, rather than filter at the source. When it is raining it sucks to have to sit there and filter in the rain.

I use a Sea to Summit Ultra Sil Kitchen Sink. 1.7 ounces with the cover; 1.5 with just the bucket. 5 liters. Stands on its own, but not in all terrain.

http://www.seatosummit.com/product/?...=0&o2=0&o3=193
    "Not many miles, but a whole lot of smiles." Vegan Packer

I have a one gallon sil water bag from Antigravity Gear which can be set down and doesn't spill as long as it's very level. It does slowly leak though. Being able to carry a significant amount of water from the spring is very nice, especially if the spring is 1/2 mile down hill.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Images

We use one of the 6 liter Platypus big zip bags to collect and treat water.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I have a one gallon sil water bag from Antigravity Gear which can be set down and doesn't spill as long as it's very level. It does slowly leak though. Being able to carry a significant amount of water from the spring is very nice, especially if the spring is 1/2 mile down hill.
    I have this one too. Noticed the leak. Thought maybe it was just mine. Their web site has a picture of it setting on the the ground with water in it.

http://www.antigravitygear.com/shop/...lon-water-bag/

I also carry the Sea-to-Summit Ultra-Sil Bucket and Kitchen Sink. Love them both!

Journal Entries
    Images

Buckets are fine, but still require you camp relatively near a water source.

With a couple Platypus you can camel-up and look for a dry camp 1/4 mile (or whatever) beyond.

This opens up a whole new world of possibilities beyond those available to the majority of hikers who cannot conceive of camping even that short a distance away from water.

I use a platy 4 liter zip top bag. Only one trip to the water source for me.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Buckets are fine, but still require you camp relatively near a water source.

With a couple Platypus you can camel-up and look for a dry camp 1/4 mile (or whatever) beyond.

This opens up a whole new world of possibilities beyond those available to the majority of hikers who cannot conceive of camping even that short a distance away from water.
    Redefine your camping experience. You don't need a lot of water to camp, just a bit for cooking and drinking. Wash yourself during the warmer daytime when you pass water midday, save your dirty dishes for the next water source you pass after you get going in the morning, etc. You will want a break during the day anyways, and there is better light and warmth at this time. No need to camp near a water source. I also like preparing the main cooked meal midday and something lighter and fast at night.

Platy bottles are also great though - I carry one too plus my bladder and also a dirty bag. So if I really want to haul around 6L or so of water I could. I find it easiest though to just take the bucket to the water source, then do filtering at camp to refill bladders, use unfiltered water for cooking or if I do cleaning then, and have plenty of extra left over which ends up getting quickly dumped out when I am ready to go.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    I use a platy 4 liter zip top bag. Only one trip to the water source for me.
    +1 for this. Worked perfectly for me and between that and my bottles I had enough water not to make a trip to the water source in the morning, either. Because of the design with the handles, it got nicknamed "the water purse".
    LT 2013, AT NOBO 2015, MSGT 2016, PCT 2017/2018

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Casey & Gina View Post
    Redefine your camping experience. You don't need a lot of water to camp, just a bit for cooking and drinking....
    Ditto this (and if you go stoveless or don't cook where you camp, you hardly need any at all, just a few sips overnight). Nearly every problem I've had with campsites has been directly related to nearby water: more condensation, nighttime thermal inversions, mosquitoes, vermin, nearby campers and other civilization.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I carried two 1 l Gatorade bottles usually only filling one until I came to a long, dry section. I have a 3 l Platypus colapsable that I fill the last stop before a dry camp. I seldom camped at shelters so this was often.

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    Ditto this (and if you go stoveless or don't cook where you camp, you hardly need any at all, just a few sips overnight). Nearly every problem I've had with campsites has been directly related to nearby water: more condensation, nighttime thermal inversions, mosquitoes, vermin, nearby campers and other civilization.
    Yes, and that is because water is essential to life. You make a good point about dry camp, but that does imply carrying water.

Why is that an issue? Well, because I do often hear folks arguing about exactly how much water to carry.

I like having my 3L Platy bag near full, late in the day... it confers a great deal of freedom.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++