WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Top Quilt-June in Shenandoahs

So I am picking up where I left off in my hike at the Shenandoahs in early June. I have a Jacksrbetter quilt rated to 20, but I would like something a bit lighter for when I go back out. I am not sure of whether to get a 40 or 50 degree bag for the temps I'll be experiencing, I'll be hiking north to Katahdin. I have been back and forth between enlightened equipment and hammock gear, and both look like great options-any thoughts on this?

When do you plan on being at Katahdin? It snows there in October. It can snow anywhere along the AT in Vt, NH and ME from September on. Do you really want a 50* quilt?

I have a 40 deg top quilt for summer use. I too will be in SNP with it in June. I got the 40 deg quilt so I could also use it in shoulder season and not worry about getting cold at night up in the mountains. Seems a lot more versatile. Worth the few extra grams and bucks to me.

I plan on being at Katahdin much before October, I have another bag I can switch to if needed. Thanks for the input, I went with a 50 degree hammock gear quilt and I think it will do the job this summer just fine, thanks a ton!

you already bought a 50*, or you're still thinking about it?..

if it were me (and it is), I would buy a 40* (and I did) because it was not significantly heavier or more expensive, and having experienced summers in NE states, I've had nights where I was cold in jeans, wool sweater and a light jacket.

weather in the NE is funny. one day will be so hot and humid I drip sweat nonstop. and then later that day or the next, a weather front comes down out of Canada and it's teeth chattering time in just a t-shirt...

++ New Posts ++