WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Good Shoes for Planters Faciitis

Hey guys,

Looking forward to starting my thru-hike in mid-May, but sadly am battling a little case of Planters Faciitis. Anyone whose had PF have any suggestions for good trail-runners or boots that have the needed support with or without insoles?

Thanks ahead of time!!!

PF is a difficult condition with lots of different causes. I had it once and it took a while to get rid of it. I actually think riding a bike and purposely stretching out the café a lot helped to heal. A second case a couple years later was mostly just a mater of calf stretching, but there are also some foot stretches that helped. I don't know that shoes are that important as long as you have good fitting ones.

I found that Superfeet green helped me. I still use them daily. As for shoes, if it fits...
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I have prescription orthotics for shoes, but I use a heel support specifically for Plantar Fasciitis from CVS that is a "half" insert supporting both the heel and arch.

I have been battling this since last fall and though it is getting better (very, very slowly) it only started to get better when I changed footgear from trail shoes to my winter weight boots (Asolo 520s) on recommendation of my MD. The boot has a lot more support than the lighter shoes and are less demanding on the tendon(s) under the arch of the foot. On a long hike, I would recommend the more sturdy footgear to start out until the condition clears up (presuming it does).

orange superfeet and atleast midheight boots.

PF was an on again, off again annoyance to me for several years. Until I found a Podiatrist that supplimented exercises, insoles, and the right sandals (for daily wear) with steroid injections.
    Problem solved and has not come back (3 years now).
    As with all physical complaints YRMV, unfortunately.😕

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

I have/had PF on several different occasions normally set on by running to many miles. When it flares up, I do the exercises with tennis ball and stretches along with a Dr prescribed orthotic. I have always had great results with a disciplined exercise schedule. I wear Salomon XA Pro 3D with the Montrail insole when I hike. They have a rock plate in the sole that provides excellent support in the arch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out Hoka One One's. I suffered PF for several years. Shoes with all the cushion I could stuff in gave me some relief. Stretching has kept it at bay . I have worn a pair of Hoka Challenger ATRs since December. I've been training for an AT thru hike. I run 5 miles almost every day,on my feet all day as a carpenter, and doing stairs after work. 20,000 to 30,000 steps a day. I added a Dr. Scholls heel and arch support. My feet have never felt better.
    feet

Get a good pair of lightweight hiking boots, with a rigid shank and good arch support. If you have high arches, you may need to buy some insoles, but the main thing is the rigid shank. I've had success with Danner 453 GTX boots and Softsole insoles.

If you're like me, 8 hours a day of walking in a good pair of boots will cure your Plantars -- at least until you get back home.

I just saw a bone doctor for shots for my Plantars. I asked why it goes away when hiking. He said it's probably the exercise, which stretches the tendon, and the rigid shank boots, which stabilize the foot and prevent over-stretching and pronation. He said he thinks the reason so many people have plantars these days is the junky shoes we wear, especially flip-flops.

Back in 2013 I attempted a thru-hike and started on April 30th to avoid the hiker bubble. Before the hike I had problems with PF and a podiatrist had suggested using Superfeet insoles which seemed to help. By the time I reached Franklin I could barely walk. I noticed in the AT Guide by AWOL that the staff at Outdoor 76 where footwear experts and went there. The owner, who's name I forget, helped me out and suggested my problem was the arch was too short in the shoes I was using. He provided me with three choices of hiking shoes and I went with a pair of low cut Vasque hiking shoes which he fitted with a set of Sol insoles. I put the new shoes on and from the first step there was absolutely no pain... it was miraculous. I asked the owner how he had come by his knowledge and he said he trained under a podiatrist for three years. I managed to hike another 525 miles in those shoes with absolutely no foot pain. I had to leave the trail just north of Roanoke due to a stress fracture in my right knee, but I don't believe that injury was due to the new shoes.

HI there

I found that a new pair of Superfeet green every 500 miles or so helps. I also use a device calle to d a plantar fasciitis night splint that I got on Amazon. It helps to stretch out your calf at night.

good luck!

Try ProFoot inserts, $10 and they work for me. I put them in every pair of shoes I have.

Journal Entries

I needed Altra zero drop with Sole inserts to fix my PF.

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaskin View Post
    Check out Hoka One One's. I suffered PF for several years. Shoes with all the cushion I could stuff in gave me some relief. Stretching has kept it at bay . I have worn a pair of Hoka Challenger ATRs since December. I've been training for an AT thru hike. I run 5 miles almost every day,on my feet all day as a carpenter, and doing stairs after work. 20,000 to 30,000 steps a day. I added a Dr. Scholls heel and arch support. My feet have never felt better.
    feet
    I also wear Hoka One One shoes for training. I work on my feet and have been plagued for years. The single best piece of advice I received---and it has worked long -term--is to keep the affected foot in a flexed position when you sleep. There are inexpensive devices that you can get at retail drug store chains and Walmart to do this. My orthopedist told me that the connective tissue does a lot of its mending at night, so if the foot is pointed when you sleep, the tendon will heal in the shorter position. By keeping it flexed, the healing will happen in the elongated position. You might notice that the pain is the worst when you get up in the morning and first step down on the heel. That's because you are undoing all of the healing that happened overnight. That's what my orthopedist said, anyway.

Thank you all so much. I will take a look at the shoes that you have all suggested!! Fingers crossed that I can calm it down by the time I begin!

Truly appreciate all of the responses.

++ New Posts ++