WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Deoderant?

Question Deoderant?

Usually on the trail, I just use dehydrated wipes and some camp soap to wash oil off my skin (Never at a water source). Occasionally I'll douse my head in some water, but I don't really feel then need to carry shower equipment with me. However, I'm not sure about deoderant. Considering that as we get going me and my girlfriend can't really smell each other, the deoderant is more of courtesy to anyone else we run into on the trail. I was just wondering what y'alls thoughts were. Am I just disgusting? xD

Quote Originally Posted by OneDoesNotSimplyWalk View Post
    Usually on the trail, I just use dehydrated wipes and some camp soap to wash oil off my skin (Never at a water source). Occasionally I'll douse my head in some water, but I don't really feel then need to carry shower equipment with me. However, I'm not sure about deoderant. Considering that as we get going me and my girlfriend can't really smell each other, the deoderant is more of courtesy to anyone else we run into on the trail. I was just wondering what y'alls thoughts were. Am I just disgusting? xD
    Seems fairly pointless. You might have daisy fresh underarms, but everywhere else will still stink eventually. When you do find a water source suitable for dunking, please at least wipe yourself down before entering and dispose of that rinse water 200 feet from the water source.

My pet peeve used to be people who slathered on perfume in the office because they weren't able to bathe properly. Better an honest stench than that sickly sweet corruption odor.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Using deodorant while backpacking is kind of like trying to put out a housefire with a squirt gun, pointless.

On trail nobody is going to care what you smell like. Basic hygiene is still important for health reasons, but smelling nice isn't on the list of expectations. If you want to be courteous while heading into town or the like, try putting on some sunscreen and then wearing your rain jacket, that is about the best smell barrier I've heard of.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 04-01-2016 at 17:19.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I don't dunk in the water source, I don't need to be killing everything downstream xD

Quote Originally Posted by OneDoesNotSimplyWalk View Post
    I don't dunk in the water source, I don't need to be killing everything downstream xD
    My dad used to go in his pool instead of baths. No thanks dad, I don't feel like swimming today.

Many years ago,a member here at WB,Cosmic Zian,swore by a product called Naturally Fresh Deodorant Crystal.Read the reviews.It stops bacterial growth and can be used on other "parts" like feet to help keep them dry.
    You can break it in pieces if the 3 oz. is too much for you.A little goes a long way.You do use it wet to apply.http://www.amazon.com/Naturally-Fres...3_a_it&sr=8-13

You only need deoderant if you have oder.

I always carry and use a travel-sized stick of Ban or the new 48-hr stuff or something similar. And I wash off every evening in my "sink" (cut off bottom 2" of a gallon plastic milk jug) with Dr. Bronner's and a section of nylon mesh Japanese washrag. I carry the Dr. Bronner's in a plastic 1 oz gelled alcohol bottle. I don't like smelling like a toilet. My entire washing kit weighs only a few ounces. But I only do 4-8 day section hikes.

Most deodorants are also antiperspirants. Stopping your pits from sweating makes you sweat more some where else...like head and crouch.

It screws up the natural cooling system.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Most deodorants are also antiperspirants. Stopping your pits from sweating makes you sweat more some where else...like head and crouch.

It screws up the natural cooling system.
    Hadn't thought about it that way before but that makes sense.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

"I take your point, but I would say, the skin area that you're applying antiperspirant to is such a tiny fraction compared with the whole of the rest of your body that it probably is going to make almost zero difference."

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/questions/question/3275/

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

wear that stink with pride.

I wanted deodorant too, my first hike. An experienced (thru) hiker did my shakedown & that was the first thing to go. She said everyone else would smell as bad or worse than me, so don't add the weight.

However . . . If you are going to have a bounce box, you could put a deodorant in that, so on those trips into town, after a good clean shower, you could enjoy smelling nice again for a few hours/days. And the town people could like you a little more. ; - ).

Yeah, I was wondering if it was necessary. Didn't want to offend anyone's senses though, but I get the feeling everyone smells about the same. xD

I worried about this at first but after awhile I found that I don't need it and no one on the trail notices. I do try to clean up when I go into town tho : )

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Trailweaver View Post
    ...However . . . If you are going to have a bounce box, you could put a deodorant in that, so on those trips into town, after a good clean shower, you could enjoy smelling nice again for a few hours/days. And the town people could like you a little more. ; - ).
    This is exactly how I'm planning for my thru. I plan to bounce things pretty far ahead (6-10 days away), so I won't get my box as often as some, but it'll be nice in the towns for the day that I do have this for.

I swish each armpit with antiperspirant/deodorant before bed every day. I consider it a luxury item. The women's versions come in smaller stick sizes so I generally use Suave powder.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

None here. Just a basic wipe-down and a shower every so often does the trick. Everyone else is gonna stink, join the club.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Christoph View Post
    None here. Just a basic wipe-down and a shower every so often does the trick. Everyone else is gonna stink, join the club.
    With my routine, I'm not going to stink, so not everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    Many years ago,a member here at WB,Cosmic Zian,swore by a product called Naturally Fresh Deodorant Crystal. . .
    Crystal Alum (probably what "Naturally Fresh Deodorant Crystal" is) can be found under a wide variety of names. It is commonly used in SE Asia and other more 3rd world places as deoderant/antiperspirant. It is essentially odorless and works surprisingly well. A crystal piece half the size of my pinky will last for weeks. I have encouraged people that fight problems with overly sweaty feet to try this stuff, although I haven't heard how well it works for that particular use. It certainly solves that back-country deodorant problem where people don't wont to carry perfumes, but still want a little odor control.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++