WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Water Sources On The Duncan Ridge Trail

I know this is a shot in the dark but I will give it a try anyway.

I am hiking the Georgia Loop next week which is a 60 mile trail which includes both current and the old, rerouted sections of the AT in Georgia.

From what I have read, the original AT comprised part of the Benton MacKaye Trail and what is now known as the Duncan Ridge Trail.

I am wondering if anyone has been on the Duncan Ridge portion of the Georgia Loop between Rhodes Mountain and Blood mountain recently?

There are two listed water sources on the 18 mile stretch that look reliable, one at Whiteoak Stomp and the second at Mulky Gap.

Any comments on these water sources or any others that may be along that stretch of the DRT trail?

Thanks in advance.

Carl

Journal Entries

i was at mulky gap about a year ago and was very thankful to find a very small spring right on the trail. it's just beyond the fs road at the top of a draw. very slow, but cold and wet. then, i was at the same place about four months ago and that little spring was dry (on the surface at least)...so i hoofed it down into the steep draw (maybe ~70 yards) and found the spring-fed little creek which was great. camped down at the bottom that night and it rained like crazy. woke up and that little stream wasn't so little anymore and water was bubbling out of the ground in places like lava. so it's there, you may just have to go down in that draw. sorry, i can't remember the situation at rhodes mountain. will probably be getting rain in the area in the next few hours so that'll help. there is one mysterious water source down at the bottom after you descend coosa bald (assuming you're going ccw like i always do for some reason). you'll hit a fs road and there is water signage (small 1x4 blue arrow), but i haven't been able to find it yet. oh, and very near the intersection of the drt and the coosa backcountry trail there is a small stream that is fairly reliable. there are 2 other marked sources which i always find water at but i can't remember the names of the gaps! long story short- i've never had a water problem on the drt but when i do find water i go into camel-mode and drink up. and, that water at mulky gap has always been a welcome sight.
    Last edited by ChrisJackson; 04-01-2016 at 14:10.
    hikers gonna hike

Chris, great information. I really appreciate the feedback on those sources.

I will be sure to take some pictures of the water sources and then post them on this tread when I get back in case anyone else is interested.

I cannot speak to any water source per se, but what I can tell you is that currently water is flowing strong in the area. I am confident that any water source published is flowing well.

Forum member "Dances with mice" in the past was the trail maintainer for this section and may still be. PM him and you will get a plethora of information on the DRT.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJackson View Post
    i was at mulky gap about a year ago and was very thankful to find a very small spring right on the trail. it's just beyond the fs road at the top of a draw. very slow, but cold and wet. then, i was at the same place about four months ago and that little spring was dry (on the surface at least)...so i hoofed it down into the steep draw (maybe ~70 yards) and found the spring-fed little creek which was great. camped down at the bottom that night and it rained like crazy. woke up and that little stream wasn't so little anymore and water was bubbling out of the ground in places like lava. so it's there, you may just have to go down in that draw. sorry, i can't remember the situation at rhodes mountain. will probably be getting rain in the area in the next few hours so that'll help. there is one mysterious water source down at the bottom after you descend coosa bald (assuming you're going ccw like i always do for some reason). you'll hit a fs road and there is water signage (small 1x4 blue arrow), but i haven't been able to find it yet. oh, and very near the intersection of the drt and the coosa backcountry trail there is a small stream that is fairly reliable. there are 2 other marked sources which i always find water at but i can't remember the names of the gaps! long story short- i've never had a water problem on the drt but when i do find water i go into camel-mode and drink up. and, that water at mulky gap has always been a welcome sight.

Could the mystery gap be "wolfpen gap"? Thats really the only gap that I can remember on the coosa..

Do a google search for Georgia Loop Trail checking out the well documented water logistics on WB threads involving Dances With Mice.

It's not as hard as some make the Loop out to be.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    Could the mystery gap be "wolfpen gap"? Thats really the only gap that I can remember on the coosa..
    Capture.PNG
    I think it's Whiteoak Stomp. You come down off of Coosa Bald and hit that FS road.There are 2 water sign markers, each pointing out in the woods...and I somewhat embarrassingly have never been able to find the water (nor the path leading to it). Granted...I've never really needed water there so I don't look very hard...but still...I'd like to find the durn thing
    hikers gonna hike

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

At Whiteoak Stomp look downhill, across the road, and you'll see a clump of trees down in the draw, about 2 - 300 yards straight down. The spring is there and is reliable.

At Mulky Gap simply follow the gated road to a wildlife pasture with a hunting blind and follow the sound of a stream to water. Stay straight as the road enters the pasture, you'll see the trail on the back right hand side of the clearing. There's also a spring at the lowest dip in the road, to the right, but the stream is easier to access. There are now new, more visible signs at the gated road's entrance pointing the way to water.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

I just got back from my 6 night Georgia Loop hiking trip which included hiking on the Duncan Ridge Trail between Blood Mountain and Rhodes Mountain. I can honestly state that the Duncan Ridge Trail lived up to its tough reputation. Once I finished the Duncan Ridge portion of the Georgia Loop, the BMT and AT sections seemed almost easy.

I hiked the Georgia Loop counterclockwise beginning and ending at Blood Mountain. The loop is 60 miles but I added 5 additional by hiking up from the Byron Reese parking lot and over Blood Mountain to the starting point.

The water on the Duncan Ridge Trail was adequate at best and not exactly easy to access. But I made it through the 18.6 mile section with no problems.

The first water source on the DRT heading west from the Blood Mountain starting point was at the GA 180 crossing at Wolfpen Gap (3 mile mark).

The stream is to the left of the trail (south on highway) at the road bend maybe 200 feet from the trail. Nice reliable water source.

wolfpen1.JPG

Wolfpen Gap stream by road

wolfpen2.JPG

The next water source is at the 6.1 mile mark at Whiteoak Stomp at FS 39. There is a little blue W sign pointing across the road and down a hill.

whiteoak1.JPG

It is a steep .1 mile hike down to the water.

whiteoak2.JPG

But another decent water source.

whiteoak3.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cneill13; 04-10-2016 at 10:50.

The third water source that I found on the DRT was at Mulky Gap at the FS4 crossing. Be careful about leaving your backpack near the road as the hike down to the water was fairly far. When I came back up, a pickup truck was sitting there with two people in it. They were wondering why someone "abandoned" a backpack in the woods. If I had come back 5 minutes later, I am sure it would have been gone.

Mulky Gap is at the 11.4 mile mark of the DRT. Several roads converge here so look for the one that has a crossing gate. It is a well graded gravel road. There is a small W sign to the left of the road nailed to a tree.

mulky1.JPG

The water is .2 miles down the road on your right. Not a great creek but adequate.

mulky2.JPG

The final water source on the DRT is at Sarvis Gap, mile marker 16 heading west. I camped the night here, an excellent camping spot away from the Forest Service roads and locals. I had two motorcycles come through my campsite near Whiteoak Stomp the first night.

sarvis1.JPG

The water is .2 miles downhill from the trail. This stream is a good water source and the last before reaching Rhodes Mountain and the BMT portion of the Georgia Loop.

sarvis2.JPG

I really enjoyed the Duncan Ridge Trail even though it was extremely challenging. The Georgia Loop is my favorite trail I have hiked on thus far.

Carl
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cneill13; 04-10-2016 at 22:19.

Journal Entries

That's great Carl! And thanks DWM for the info! I didn't know we could go beyond that gate at Mulkey. I'll check it out next time. Carl, thanks for the report and the pictures! I'll probably hit it July-ish. It's really a great loop. The DRT has some serious calf burners on it! Peace.
    hikers gonna hike

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cneill13 View Post
    The third water source that I found on the DRT was at Mulky Gap at the FS4 crossing. Be careful about leaving your backpack near the road as the hike down to the water was fairly far. When I came back up, a pickup truck was sitting there with two people in it. They were wondering why someone "abandoned" a backpack in the woods. If I had come back 5 minutes later, I am sure it would have been gone.

Mulky Gap is at the 11.4 mile mark of the DRT. Several roads converge here so look for the one that has a crossing gate. It is a well graded gravel road. There is a small W sign to the left of the road nailed to a tree.

mulky1.JPG

The water is .2 miles down the road on your left. Not a great creek but adequate.

The final water source on the DRT is at Sarvis Gap, mile marker 16 heading west. I camped the night here, an excellent camping spot away from the Forest Service roads and locals. I had two motorcycles come through my campsite near Whiteoak Stomp the first night.

sarvis1.JPG

The water is .2 miles downhill from the trail. This water a good water source and the last before reaching Rhodes Mountain and the BMT portion of the Georgia Loop.

sarvis2.JPG
    Great report, Carl. I think I've seen that sign before somewhere... From your description, did you walk all the way to the end of the road and the clearing with the hunting blind? There would be another sign there leading to a creek which I believe is larger than you described.
    DSCF0762.jpg
    Where, in your opinion, should more "W" signs be placed to help hikers? I lean on the less is more side of sign placement but then I already know where the sources are. My idea of what is obvious may not be the same as someone less familiar with the area.

And I encourage everyone interested to hike the DRT soon. The FS has plans to relo the DRT to all sidehill from Fish Gap to the BMT intersection, bypassing all the "fun" up and downs.

I'll be out the last week of this month doing maintenance and placing more signs to water if needed.

Images

And if anyone else intends to camp at Whiteoak Stomp, about 20'ish yards going CCW (west at that point?) is an old logging road cutting off to the right. It's a sidehill with lots of blowdowns but offers multiple flat tent sites and a lot more seclusion than camping beside the road.

I hope they don't relocate the DRT as its toughness makes it so unique.

Not it sure about your first question Dwm but in regards to the water signs, I think they are fine as is. I think if you add more signs it might attract vandalism to the signs from the local non hikers Just my opinion

BTW thank you for all the work you do on the DRT Dances with mice. It is expertly maintained equally or better than the AT

Images

Let me rephrase the first question: On the gated road, did you see a poured concrete sidewalk leading to a hunting blind? It seems out of the ordinary, but it's an area reserved for wheelchair bound hunters. Just past that sidewalk is a trail leading to a good stream.

There is another water source before that, at a dip in the road that is less reliable. Your estimate to water was 0.2 miles, I calculated 0.25 and was wondering if you stopped a little short of the area where I was trying to lead hikers.

I do try to keep signage to a minimum but if there are problems finding the relatively rare water sources I can add more. Vandalism has not been a problem so far, knock on wood.

Over the years I've found that the cedar plank signs I used at both Whiteoak Stomp and Sarvis Gap weathered dark and made the navy blue'ish paint used to mark the sources hard to read. I repainted the Whiteoak Stomp signs a lighter blue for greater contrast and will re-paint or replace the Sarvis Gap signs later this month.

I thought the gated Mulky Gap road needed another sign on the opposite side of the road from the sign you pictured. And I had another sign for the CCW direction entry into Mulky but, dammit, there wasn't an appropriately placed tree for the direction of the arrow I had pre-painted! I placed it the best I could but thought another sign at the road entrance, before the gate, facing the trail would be helpful and maybe another with an arrow somewhere along the road to the stream. And I need to trim some branches away from the signs, they are visible now but may be covered later this year. But that's minor, it's more important to have hikers able to find the sources.

I'm also thinking about placing another, larger "W" down near the spring at Whiteoak. There used to be a trail to water there, really, but it grew over with ferns due to lack of use. Personally, I'm fine with that.

I'm afraid the relo of the DRT is a done deal. It's a shame because we're going to lose the old mining site (second peak from Sarvis, right after Payne Mtn, but I'm blanking on the name right now) and the great view from Rhodes Mtn. As small consolation, the relo is planned on the left hand side of the mountains as you walked it, facing the Blue Ridge rather than the cleared and farmed valley on the opposite side.

Images

what is the reason for the relocation of the trail?

DWM - no, I didn't notice the poured concrete sidewalk. I was so nervous that I wouldn't find water that I very one directed in looking down the road. There was a very large military-like painted road grater about 1/2 way down to the creek on the right. The distance I used to the water source came from Sgt. Rock's BMT Guide (highly recommended).

The water signs were a bit faded but still very readable. Again, really appreciate your effort with this trail.

So glad I hiked the DRT before they move it. The last 2.6 miles west from Sarvis Gap to Rhodes Mountain absolutely wiped me out. I was throwing a few choice curse words into the wind. Literally straight up on my toes over 3 peaks. It hurt so bad but also so good (when done).

Then I hiked down the BMT to the Toccoa River Swinging Bridge for an 11 mile day. Doesn't sound like much but I was very tired. It might be the toughest single day of hiking I have ever done.

Carl

Sorry for another post but your comment about putting another sign downhill at Whiteoak would be very helpful. There were small red flags at one of the gaps ( Whiteoak maybe) laid down the trail but someone had pulled most of them up.
    Last edited by cneill13; 04-11-2016 at 18:34.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    what is the reason for the relocation of the trail?
    Quoting in its original bureaucratese from the notice sent by the Blue Ridge Ranger District of the Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forests dated Feb 23 '16:

Purpose and Need for Action

Currently, sections of the Duncan Ridge Trail incorporate unsustainable grades (i.e. steep slope) for extended distances. The purpose of the proposed action is to relocate approximately two miles of trail to a more sustainable location and maintain the existing trail. The relocation is from the intersection with the Benton MacKaye Trail to Fish Gap Knob. This would provide a more sustainable and enjoyable trail experience.

Proposed Action

Construction will incorporate the specifications of 18"-36" tread width, 7'-8' height and 3'-5' width clearance, capable of supporting foot travel. Where necessary, water control techniques such as grade dips or grade reversals will be used to remove water from the trail and reduce the potential for future soil movement and loss. Rock cribbing may be used to stabilize the trail tread.

The proposed action is consistent with the goals and objectives provided in the Chattahoochee-Oconee NF's Land and Resource Management Plant (Forest Plan). Listed are some of the goals, objectives and standards this proposed action meets:

Direction for Recreation Opportunities/Experiences

Goal 31 - "Provide a spectrum of high quality, natural based recreation settings and opportunities that reflect the unique or exceptional resources of the Forest and the interests of the recreating public on an environmentally sustainable, financially sound, and operationally effective basis. Adapt management of recreation facilities and opportunities as needed to shift limited resources to those opportunities" (Forest Plan pg: 2-31)

Goal 34 - "Trails do not adversely affect soil and water resources" (Forest Plan pg: 2-32)
    The point being that if you want to experience the DRT in all its soon to be legendary rugged glory then plan to go soon. I don't know the timeline for the relo, or even if one has been decided yet.

Images

As a side note the relo project has NOT been tasked to the GATC. I'm assuming, so take it for what it's worth, that the relo would be machine built similar to the relo done several years ago west of Wolfpen Gap and on the DRT/BMT around Licklog Mtn.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++