WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: NoBo Winds

Default NoBo Winds

Guidance please.

South Pass > Togwotee Pass - 170 miles

I understand that this is a difficult section and that there are lots of variables including 3 alt routes.

Does anyone have any experience of the above section whilst avoiding Pinedale, e.g. 7/8 days hiking?

Appreciate your feedback.

AT - 2013 PCT - 2014
    Journal Entries

I have not hiked the official but have hiked the/a Wind River high route which was an eight day trip. You could shorten by 40 miles or so by taking an overnight at Big Sandy and picking up a box there. They do require you to stay the night at $140 which does include 3 meals. I talked with them by phone and they seemed like they are flexible with thru-hikers as far as reservations fo. Still, my plan for this year is more in line with what you have mentioned. I will most likely include the Knapsack Col. alt too. It's going to be great! See you out there.

Quote Originally Posted by firesign View Post
    Guidance please.

South Pass > Togwotee Pass - 170 miles

I understand that this is a difficult section and that there are lots of variables including 3 alt routes.

Does anyone have any experience of the above section whilst avoiding Pinedale, e.g. 7/8 days hiking?

Appreciate your feedback.

The Winds are remarkable, but IMO, not difficult at all. Good trails, well marked, water everywhere. Some of the best trail you will find on the CDT. If you do alternates it is more challenging.

Garlic
    Images

I agree, it should not be difficult, or no more difficult than any other 170-mile hike. Try to see the Cirque of the Towers--Texas Pass is navigable off trail to avoid back-tracking. There are bail-out options and a few people and horses should things go wrong.

We did two different routes through the Winds on our two thruhikes. The area is incredibly beautiful, and both routes were great. We resupplied at Big Sandy on both hikes. Afternoon thunderstorms were common, but mornings were glorious.

I have done 3 - 7 night BPs in the Winds. It is a real toss up as to whether SEKI or the Winds are my favorite BP desitnations. If you are not in a rush, it is relatively easy to go off-trail through the Winds and very rewarding. But the trails are good and don't leave little majesty unexplored. I do advise the Cirque of the Towers and Titcomb Basin/Knapsack Col. but there are many other great spots there too. You could spend a month or more exploring there and still want more. I have not studied a NOBO through the Winds closely but am looking at crossing the divide in the N. Winds and hiking out to Dubois. There are some good trails on the east side and a number of FS roads that make it look OK. Bomber Lake/Trail Lake trails etc. are examples. You may lose a bit of time by getting off-trail over the divide, but the Winds are amazaing and worth the time for sure.

++ New Posts ++