WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bstiffler View Post
    beginning long distance hiker and a newbie here but started out day hiking and loved it so started doing longer and longer expeditions/ stays. To see if Id tolerated lugging around a full size pack I got one and loaded it with my gear and extra weight to get to what I expect to be carrying when I'm on the trail. If you hate lugging it for a few hours on a day hike, I imagine you're not going to like your first couple of weeks. How do you feel about hiking in rain or being cold and wet? I live in florida and my neighbors think I'm crazy because Ive been out wandering in torrential rains both with and without my rain gear to get used to it. If you live near the trail take a weekend and do an out and back to one of the shelters. A couple weeks ago I drove 18 hours to get to amicalola to do thew approach trail to get a sense of the lay of the land. Probably the senseless ramblings of a newbie but maybe it will give you some ideas.
    I've been hiking in downpours, and frankly, I sort of loved it. Granted, I only got to love it for the day, and then it was back home to central heat, a hot shower, a hotter steak, and a pillowtop mattress. Who knows if I'll like being soaked for days on end? Good idea taking a full pack on a day to see what that's like. Maybe I'll do that next time as long as I'm hiking anyway.

I'm generally a dayhiker myself, with limited camping experience. Some things translate easily from dayhiking to distance backpacking, some don't. This website has great people willing to share all kinds of experience. I'm starting my thru attempt on Thursday, and I still find myself gathering ideas, techniques and tips that apply to a day that ends in a tent, rather than a shower and a soft bed.

Read a lot, all the topics, you never know when you might find some gem of wisdom in an entirely unexpected thread.

I don't understand why this is such a complicated thread. Simple question should get a simple answer: Yes, you can do it. It's far better to get out there and get going while still out of shape than to be afraid to start because you're overweight.

If you start by mid April you can afford the time for "on the job" training. Figure on getting through the smokies and you'll probably have lost a ton of weight by that point and then it's a matter of deciding how interested you are in continuing at that point. During a thru you have so much time to think about what you really want. If it turns out you are sure by mid June that you won't get to Katahdin by mid October then fine, flip flop it. No big deal, naysayers.

When I did my thru I lost most of my weight in the first month then the remaining shed more gradually. I started without almost any backpacking experience. Also tons of people more overweight than me started heavy and out of shape, and still completed the thru.

Do it.

I should add. The first month or so is physically tough, nod dought. By southern Virginia it gradually becomes physically easier but mentally harder. By NH it becomes physically difficult again but the challenge, at least for me, was invigorating and helped me forget the mental difficulty.

I'm in the same boat out of shape very badly-so I am walking, hiking and doing some gym so that I can try and thru hike in 2017-by the way I am 60 years old.
    I am retired so I have that going for me in the training part.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCheek View Post
    I don't understand why this is such a complicated thread. Simple question should get a simple answer: Yes, you can do it. It's far better to get out there and get going while still out of shape than to be afraid to start because you're overweight.
    Thank you I actually don't mind getting told it might not be a good idea, it's a valid opinion. But some folks have a jaded demeanor about it and seem to want to punish a guy for even asking. Already telling me about the excuses I'll be making once I quit is just not constructive; it's unnecessarily negative and discouraging. Thank you sincerely for your comments!

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    I'm generally a dayhiker myself, with limited camping experience. Some things translate easily from dayhiking to distance backpacking, some don't. This website has great people willing to share all kinds of experience. I'm starting my thru attempt on Thursday, and I still find myself gathering ideas, techniques and tips that apply to a day that ends in a tent, rather than a shower and a soft bed. Read a lot, all the topics, you never know when you might find some gem of wisdom in an entirely unexpected thread.
    Good luck! I'm reading a lot now, trying to get a feel for what it'll actually be like, tips, and gear research. This forum is great, an overwhelming amount of info.

Quote Originally Posted by pickle View Post
    I'm in the same boat out of shape very badly-so I am walking, hiking and doing some gym so that I can try and thru hike in 2017-by the way I am 60 years old.
    Good for you man! You're a better man than I. I wish I had the patience to hit the gym.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Section hike first. That will give you the chance to:
    Understand what its like to hike day after day, in all weather
    Test your gear
    Get your shoes dialed in (most important!)
    Find out if you even like hiking the AT

I did over half the AT as sections before I did a thru and credit that experience for helping me complete the trail.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

If you're about to imminently start a northbound AT thru hike out of shape and unprepared, this is the experience.

You're starting a six-month fling with a gorgeous experienced older woman who has a reputation of demolishing and desposing of men while saying "Next"' before most men know what happened.

For the first thirty days of your fling -- assuming you're still there -- you'll wake up ultra sore and groggy from the previous days fling activities and from your sleeping bag you'll call her on the telephone. She'll see it's you calling and answer your call, "Are you STILL here? I've scheduled hail and mud for you today -- are you good-with-that-fine" and the line goes dead. That's because for her, you are a four-day fling. Tops. This is the way she weeds out her thru-hiking lovers. You'll likely see grown men have mental breakdowns along the Trail while lamenting, "I just wanted to love her, why won't she let me love her? I've spent all this money and time on her and told everyone I know that I'm hers and now she kicks me to the curb and walks away. She's so mean and deranged!"

Yet if you do finish your AT thru-hike, carry your backpack the entire way, hike pas every white blaze -- your fellow suitors and you will be saying to each other at the end, "Was that fantastic or what? Wow I can't believe that fling was so fantastic."

Fifteen years from now all of you will STILL be saying to yourselves, "Never would I have given up that time to have done anything else than to have thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail."

Datto

I'm not not really picking up any jaded demeanor in the responses. You started out with a "I'm not going to prepare, am I nuts?" general statement. People are rightly responding to that as a kicking off point. If you ever ask "am I nuts?" be prepared for people to say "yes" and then to fill you in on all of the details. It's not meant maliciously, it's just a pragmatic response.

You say you don't want to get in shape beforehand. I would at least make sure you can walk 8-10 miles in one go multiple days in a row without getting crippling blisters. If you do, you can make changes. More than likely you will definitely be making changes. Get your footwear/sock system perfect, or as perfect as you can before you get on trail for a thru. If your feet are screwed up, hiking will be miserable, no matter how gorgeous the day is.
    AT '16: 1,378 miles GA-NY

trail journal
    // blog

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    I'm not not really picking up any jaded demeanor in the responses. You started out with a "I'm not going to prepare, am I nuts?" general statement. People are rightly responding to that as a kicking off point. If you ever ask "am I nuts?" be prepared for people to say "yes" and then to fill you in on all of the details. It's not meant maliciously, it's just a pragmatic response.
    I was referring to one post in particular. I don't want to quote it cause I'm not interested in starting a flame war. Most of the replies here were actually very helpful and I really do appreciate them.

Journal Entries

When I thru hiked in 1990 my preparation was to go to every restaurant in town and have a good meal :-) I weighed 245 when I started, 185 when I finished. Finishing the trail is 10% physical, and 90% mental. I never had a single doubt that I was going to finish, as it was a lifelong dream. I wasn't in any hurry, and it took me from April 25 to October 26 to finish. I was lucky - they closed Katahdin on the 27th for the season. We had to stay out of the park the night before as the camp was closed. If I had known for sure that the mountain would be closed on the 15th I would have increased my pace to make it.

I had many people in Georgia tell me I would never make it. I had two pictures taken of me on Katahdin. The first was your normal happy hiker pic. The second was for all the people who rudely told me to quit - it was the happy hiker pic with two "birds" flying out of my hands :-) May of the people who told me I wouldn't make it were "Thru" hikers who never finished themselves. I guess being in so much better shape than me wasn't the deciding factor after all.

I will be hiking SOBO this year... I am in a bit better shape this time, and will spend a bit of time before my hike doing steps to make sure my legs won't hurt so much the first few days. Again I have no doubt that I am going to finish, barring serious injury. I won't have a greater chance of being hurt at the beginning of the trip because I know my limits and will respect them. I hike at my own speed, even if that means the wonderful people I just met will out walk me.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

There's two type of people who finish a thru. Those that love the trail and there's no place else they would rather be than on the AT. The others are just too stubborn to quit.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

I always enjoy reading your feedbacks, but feel the need to respond about something you have said. I'm getting set for my NOBO thru hike next spring (2017). I have never backpacked nor set foot on a major trail before. I want my thru hike to be a complete surprise. Part of the adventure is the "shock" value. I have read enough to know what to expect and I'm sure doing it and reading about it two vastly different things, yet this is what I seek. I don't want to know all about it in advance. If I find out long distance hiking ain't my bag, so be it. Just trying to state my angle, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by trpost View Post
    When I thru hiked in 1990 my preparation was to go to every restaurant in town and have a good meal :-) I weighed 245 when I started, 185 when I finished. Finishing the trail is 10% physical, and 90% mental. I never had a single doubt that I was going to finish, as it was a lifelong dream. I wasn't in any hurry, and it took me from April 25 to October 26 to finish. I was lucky - they closed Katahdin on the 27th for the season. We had to stay out of the park the night before as the camp was closed. If I had known for sure that the mountain would be closed on the 15th I would have increased my pace to make it.

I had many people in Georgia tell me I would never make it. I had two pictures taken of me on Katahdin. The first was your normal happy hiker pic. The second was for all the people who rudely told me to quit - it was the happy hiker pic with two "birds" flying out of my hands :-) May of the people who told me I wouldn't make it were "Thru" hikers who never finished themselves. I guess being in so much better shape than me wasn't the deciding factor after all.

I will be hiking SOBO this year... I am in a bit better shape this time, and will spend a bit of time before my hike doing steps to make sure my legs won't hurt so much the first few days. Again I have no doubt that I am going to finish, barring serious injury. I won't have a greater chance of being hurt at the beginning of the trip because I know my limits and will respect them. I hike at my own speed, even if that means the wonderful people I just met will out walk me.
    Beautiful. That's awesome. Good to know it can still be done with a late-April start even with no particular rush!

I have questions. Did you get injured at all? How did you deal with charlie horse and other muscle things in the beginning? Did you end up having to camp out for extended breathers over days, or did you just take it slow? Or power through? What was the toughest aspect you had to deal with in the beginning?

Quote Originally Posted by AlyontheAT2016 View Post
    You say you don't want to get in shape beforehand. I would at least make sure you can walk 8-10 miles in one go multiple days in a row without getting crippling blisters. If you do, you can make changes. More than likely you will definitely be making changes. Get your footwear/sock system perfect, or as perfect as you can before you get on trail for a thru. If your feet are screwed up, hiking will be miserable, no matter how gorgeous the day is.
    Thanks, good tip I do need to read up on socks and sock liners etc. Not sure if I'll do actually do test runs or take a few options with me, since socks don't weigh quite so much.

Quote Originally Posted by skinnbones View Post
    I always enjoy reading your feedbacks, but feel the need to respond about something you have said. I'm getting set for my NOBO thru hike next spring (2017). I have never backpacked nor set foot on a major trail before. I want my thru hike to be a complete surprise. Part of the adventure is the "shock" value. I have read enough to know what to expect and I'm sure doing it and reading about it two vastly different things, yet this is what I seek. I don't want to know all about it in advance. If I find out long distance hiking ain't my bag, so be it. Just trying to state my angle, thanks.
    That's my thought as well Skin. Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by equazcion View Post
    Hi, I'm new here. I was hoping for a bit of advice.

I've day-hiked on many easy/moderate trails, and gone tent camping often (only at campsites with facilities). I've never gone "primitive" camping or backpacking before. I'm also out-of-shape (not obese, just weak right now from sedentary living). Strenuous uphill hikes make me winded easily.

I don't want to work out beforehand. I'm kind of an all-or-nothing spontaneous sort of fellow

Some literature warns people like me from trying a thru-hike. My view is that if I take it slow and take longer than usual breaks, I'll adjust along the way, even if I have to rest off some charlie horse for days at a time in the beginning.

Am I nuts to think this is doable? Will I just injure myself, or be completely miserable, and should not even try this?

Thanks for any advice -- especially from out-of-shape people who've tried this before, if there are any; it would be cool to hear those stories. PS. If this post violated some etiquette or is in the wrong section I apologize, it's my first one here.
    i ain't read all the responses but i'm sure the experts have given you their opinions. i've only walked 16,000 or so miles on the AT. been to springer 17 years in a row and met folks like you. the answer is yes, it's totally doable. especially nowadays with cell coverage and shuttle support. the best thing you can do is get off of here and do your thing. too many cyberhikers givin' bad advice. i got more experience than most on here. just go walkin'

I started section hiking with my daughter last year at he age of 58, not in the best of shape and with leg problems after six surgeries. And from my trail name, Snail, you can see I don't go fast or expect to. But we enjoy our time out there and have several week long trips planned for this year. But from just the little bit of time that we have put on the trail so far, one suggestion I would make is to do a few overnight trips before starting a thru to test out your equipment. Little things like the wrong socks, shoes that don't fit right, even pants that rub on you in an unexpected spot can make life miserable even after a single day.
    Other than that, all I can say is go for it and have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Datto View Post
    If you're about to imminently start a northbound AT thru hike out of shape and unprepared, this is the experience.

You're starting a six-month fling with a gorgeous experienced older woman who has a reputation of demolishing and desposing of men while saying "Next"' before most men know what happened.

For the first thirty days of your fling -- assuming you're still there -- you'll wake up ultra sore and groggy from the previous days fling activities and from your sleeping bag you'll call her on the telephone. She'll see it's you calling and answer your call, "Are you STILL here? I've scheduled hail and mud for you today -- are you good-with-that-fine" and the line goes dead. That's because for her, you are a four-day fling. Tops. This is the way she weeds out her thru-hiking lovers. You'll likely see grown men have mental breakdowns along the Trail while lamenting, "I just wanted to love her, why won't she let me love her? I've spent all this money and time on her and told everyone I know that I'm hers and now she kicks me to the curb and walks away. She's so mean and deranged!"

Yet if you do finish your AT thru-hike, carry your backpack the entire way, hike pas every white blaze -- your fellow suitors and you will be saying to each other at the end, "Was that fantastic or what? Wow I can't believe that fling was so fantastic."

Fifteen years from now all of you will STILL be saying to yourselves, "Never would I have given up that time to have done anything else than to have thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail."

Datto
    I love it! Datto compare the AT to a cougar.

I've just started backpacking and have learned pre-training is helpful to make a trip enjoyable. I am older and am actually obese so maybe packpacking won't be as hard on you. I have been active walking 5-7 miles a day 5xweek for ages so I thought it would not be too hard backpacking. I even had a pack with 25 lbs I would carry sometimes. So I did an overnight trip to try out my gear and was surprised in the mountains I was actually cramping that night with just doing 10 miles. All my training had been on the flat.

After about 5 weeks I went back, but I hiked with 35 lbs and in hilly terrain on the weekends training. That trip I did 70 miles in 7 days and did not have any cramps. So I believe the added training with hills made me more prepared. I know if I do a thru when I retire I will be sure to do some extended trips and lots of practice hikes every day in hills.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++