WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Lifetime Section Hiker Berry Belle's Avatar

Default Trail of Hope Hostel near Caledonia State Park

Has anyone stayed at this hostel? How was it?
    "Are we there yet?"

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

mind your P's & Q's around Hard Ranger...

From Google search, it seems that the people who have stayed there were happy with it.

Lifetime Section Hiker Berry Belle's Avatar

Talked today with a hiker who stayed there last night. They were generous with food, and they mentioned that the hostel was part of the church ministry but did not proselytize. His one complaint was that two female hikers were given both top and bottom sheets, and blankets, but when two male hikers went to get sheets and blankets from the locker, they found it was locked, and they were told that males do not get a bottom sheet, only a top sheet. The person I spoke with was concerned about the risk of infections like MRSA from sleeping directly on the mattress, and he used his sleeping bag instead. He felt it was very sexist to provide better bedding to one sex, and I agree. It's hard for me to imagine what the reason for this would be.
    "Are we there yet?"

Berry----While I agree with you that all hostel guests should be treated the same when it comes to accomodations and assorted accessories, I gotta tell you that worrying about getting an infection from the mattress is more than a little ridiculous. Hiker hostels, because of the level of hygeine of their guests, their clothes, etc., are not exactly pristine places, and having an extra sheet on the bed is not going to do much to make anyone any safer or healthier. People that pathological about bed linens and microbes would do better to avoid hostels altogether. (And trail shelters, too!) Oh, and incidentally, I've seen plenty of hostels where linens were provided but weren't necessarily changed every day. In terms of cleanliness, one would have probably been better off on a bare mattress.

I stayed there last year, it was a nice place. Junker does require a respectful attitude and language but no one working there overtly proselytized. The facility was clean, beds had both top and bottom sheets. Food was prepared by a SOBO that decided to hang for awhile, man he could cook!

What are hiker hostel mattresses like? In the youth hostels, typically plastic-covered with a few inches of foam rubber inside. The hostels give or rent sheets and blankets (Bennington for example collected $2 for bedding, but had a low-cost campsite, shower included in fee); sleeping bags aren't allowed; you can wipe down the mattresses with soap and water or anti-bacterial product. Quiet time in the bunk rooms after 10pm (not always enforced).
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing​ and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there. --Rumi

Images

Hiker hostels (and their mattresses) vary widely. The on-trail hiker grapevine is an excellent resource to figure out what you are getting into up the trail.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Hiker hostels (and their mattresses) vary widely. The on-trail hiker grapevine is an excellent resource to figure out what you are getting into up the trail.

Thank you, Jeff. I'm sure that y'all's are quite comfortable. Looking forward to it, and to once again seeing the little bookstore in town. Manchester is a swell place.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing​ and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there. --Rumi

Make sure to hit the Timbers Restaurant just before you get to the hostel. Hiker breakfast called Trail Mix. Potatoes, egg, ham,sausage, bacon covered in delicious gravy only 6.50 or a double portion for 10 bucks. Hiker hunger solved. All locally sourced ingredients. Tell them Soggy sent ya.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Binjali View Post
    I stayed there last year, it was a nice place. Junker does require a respectful attitude and language but no one working there overtly proselytized. The facility was clean, beds had both top and bottom sheets. Food was prepared by a SOBO that decided to hang for awhile, man he could cook!

Is this the hostel? We called this Junker's Bunker when Snacktime and I stayed with him. It wasn't a hostel at the time, but he was talking about future plans. They don't get better than Junker.

014.JPG013.JPG012.JPG
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Images

Those pictures aren't of the Trail of Hope hostel. The hostel is in a two story home. Upstairs there are several rooms with bunkbeds. When I stayed there were sheets, pillows, comforters, towels. MYO breakfast included. No wifi. At $22 it's great.

Timber's is a convenient stop for a meal before u arrive.

++ New Posts ++