WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

A hint is plan on an early morning to get in line early, the weather on the summit is generally the best in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefduffy View Post
    You need to be at the gate by 7 am, or lose your parking spot. I recommend being at the gate no later than 6 am, when it opens. There is often a long line of cars waiting when the gate opens. A secret: if you are in line and it looks like you wont make it up to the gate by 7, one of you can walk the pass up to the gate and they will honor it. 2 good motels and a very nice hiker lodge (Appalachian Trail Lodge) in Millinocket, about 40 minutes from Baxter.
    Thank you for the heads up. I think I'll try to get reservations at the AT Lodge for that sunday night.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoSpirits View Post
    The knee has healed up -- as well as it ever will, anyway. Thank you so much for asking. It took a LONG time, and there are days when it still haunts me a little. Definitely the worst part about getting older -- the time it takes to recover from injury. But I'm back to putting on some miles and enjoying a few nights out on a couple local trails...and getting excited as I begin planning a section in northern Virginia (SOBO from Harper's Ferry to Rockfish Gap) next fall (September/October 2017.)

Although I don't think another thru attempt is in the cards, I consider the HMW at least to be "unfinished business", and am planning to get back there as soon as I can. Truthfully, if I never get out of BSP I'd still be happy -- it is a beautiful, special place. Maine, Millinocket, and BSP captured my heart and I think about going back nearly every single day.

I may not ever SOBO end-to-end, but I'm always going to be a SOBO at heart, and always enjoy your updates and information.

Thanks, and happy hiking!
    I know how you feel my knee is still healing from a 2015 thru hike injury!

Be sure to check out the new ATC field office in Monson!
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

I didnt see it posted anywhere else on Whiteblaze, but according to BSP's Facebook, Abol trail is now open.

Journal Entries
    Images

During my 2001 thru I flip flopped. my wife drove me up to Katahden to finish my hike as a SOBO. We spent the night at the AT Lodge. The next morning we were at th park gate at 5:30 and joined a line of about 20 cars. Once they started letting cars into the park we approached the gate house and were told that no more vehicles were allowed in Katahden Springs camp area. I told the ranger that my wife was just going to drop me off at th AT road crossing but they still would not permit us to proceed. I did not want to have to return the following day so I told the ranger that we wanted to go to a different campground that we saw on the park map. they permitted that. My plan was that When we crossed the AT I would get out and head up Katahden. this worked and I was able to summit.
    I would recommend that you be at the park gat at 5:00 to insure enterence.
    Grampie-N->2001

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    I didnt see it posted anywhere else on Whiteblaze, but according to BSP's Facebook, Abol trail is now open.
    Sure is! Expect it to be busy this weekend.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++