WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Images

Default 2016 Section Hikers

I figured since the thru hikers have a thread we can too. Just curious what's everyone's plan this year for section hike?

I will be hiking from Dennis Cove to Damascus next and then another section hike this fall. Hope to see you guys out there.

Fontana to Hot Springs end of this month.

Then long weekend trips Hot Springs to Damascus over the rest of the year.

A two day trip early in June to finish NJ, then a week later in June heading from NJ up into NY. Then in Aug a week starting at Harpers Ferry and heading up through MD and hopefully into PA. Plus the occasional day or weekend in either NY or PA and opportunities present themselves.

We should have our own page in fact. Section hiking rules! Instead of getting all excited about one hike once, we get all excited multiple times a year!

If I can swing it $$, end of the month, Albert Mtn to Stecoah Gap where I left off last fall. Then return this fall to tackle smokies? Or at least get to the smokies this year.

Waynesboro / start of SNP to VA 522 (Front Royal) sometime starting mid to late May. . .

Late summer I am hoping to chip away at the northern end of the trail, starting just south of the Imp Shelter in NH (where I broke my ankle in 2011) and heading into Maine. Meanwhile, I'll be tending my garden and walking my new rescue husky in local parks.

Mid-May, first section hike in 50 years. As a boy scout, did Penn-Mar to Harper's Ferry, 1964, then HP to Front Royal in 1967. This year, Springer to Franklin,NC. Next year, maybe more in Va.
    "We may lose, and we may win, though we will never be here again".

I've often wondered why there wasn't a separate Forum for Section-Hikers? Just me but I think it has great possibilities. In 16 days I'll be back on the trail starting at James River 785.7 mm (Big Island, VA) to Humpback Visitors Center 855.2 mm at the end of this month; approx. 70 miles. Then late October Humpback Visitor's center 855.2 to Harper's Ferry 1023.4 mm... that roughly 168 miles. This is if my body... especially my feet can hold up. Then I've got to rethink this section-hiking approach: First... I'm running out of time; Second... I'm running out of steam; Third... so many trips have been 800-1000 miles of driving round-trip and going further north will just get worse.......... So maybe a Spring or Fall 2017 little hump to finish the remaining 1,165 miles... what do you think? Happy Trails

Springer to Fontana early May with my dog. Did the Smokies 40 years ago.
    IMG_9102.JPG

No sections planned, but I've been imagining a road trip to make up a few blue-blazes along the way. That would be an interesting adventure.

There's not a year that passes where I don't do a few (or a few dozen) AT miles. But my last hundred-mile AT section was six years ago.

I wish I could hit the trail several times a year!

Unfortunately, my section hikes are once a year, usually for 100 miles. This year, however, I get to "up the anty" since I am getting older and more worried about finishing!

I will be going from the NJ/NY border to just into VT, starting mid-June.

Any advise on that section - pertaining to poor water areas, the land, preferred shelters/hostels, good resupply areas, places to get a meal or special treat, or better areas to reduce mileage - any of this would be SO VERY APPRECIATED!!!! (Yes, I do have AWOL's guide, but we all know that the hikers can help with so much more info!!!)

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Harpers Ferry back to my home in the Whites, ~ 850 miles to my front door. At least that's the plan for the moment.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Great idea, I'll be starting at 19e at roan mountain heading north on April 25th and stopping at Woods Hole Hostel around May 12th.

My plan is 250 miles. That will put me over 1000 miles complete, and not burn me out as 375-450 miles have in past years
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Journal Entries

Later this month we're doing the 20 miles from Front Royal to Ashby Gap. Gonna throw in a non-AT rock scramble on Old Rag while we're up there.
    Early July we're doing the White from hut to hut. Essentially slacking, but we're getting older and we'll do it anyway we can.
    Late August/early Sept we're doing the HMW and K southbound. Really looking forward to this!

We have three weekend non-AT hikes in the Smokies this summer and several dayhikes to keep us toughened up.

Journal Entries

I plan on starting very late in June at springer and going NOBO until late August. Where I will end up I don't know but I'm hoping to get to harpers ferry.

Journal Entries

~100 mile BMT section in early May! ~100 mile section Long Trail early September!
    hikers gonna hike

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shelb View Post
    I wish I could hit the trail several times a year!

Unfortunately, my section hikes are once a year, usually for 100 miles. This year, however, I get to "up the anty" since I am getting older and more worried about finishing!

I will be going from the NJ/NY border to just into VT, starting mid-June.

Any advise on that section - pertaining to poor water areas, the land, preferred shelters/hostels, good resupply areas, places to get a meal or special treat, or better areas to reduce mileage - any of this would be SO VERY APPRECIATED!!!! (Yes, I do have AWOL's guide, but we all know that the hikers can help with so much more info!!!)

THANK YOU!!!!!!!
    Until Massachusetts you hit towns all the time with possibilities for food and resupplies you can eat out almost every day if you really wanted to. In NY graymor life spiritual shelter I think it's called is a great place I believe its .4 off the trail but has power you can order pizza there shower clothes line great stop in my opinion. RPH shelter is another good shelter to stay at if possible. NY in the summer has a few dry stretches but I happened to run into plenty of trail angels who left water so you should be alright. West mountain shelter in NY is a good one too if it's nice weather you have a view of NYC. I'm starting to think NY was my favorite state... Another stop in Massachusetts is upper goose pond cabin that's a must stop. I also stayed atop of Mt. Graylock in the bunk room I recommend that as well. Hope this helps and enjoy your section hike it was a great section hike for me. I did PA/NJ border to MA/VT border.

Images

Starting at Springer and going 9 days starting April 28. Hope to do Georgia section. Then coming back later and continuing on at different times during the summer. Possibly going to Tahoe to do the Rim Trail. 165 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Eagle View Post
    Mid-May, first section hike in 50 years. As a boy scout, did Penn-Mar to Harper's Ferry, 1964, then HP to Front Royal in 1967. This year, Springer to Franklin,NC. Next year, maybe more in Va.
    I may see you out there, I'll be going sobo from NC to Neel Gap mid-May with my son who lives in Cumming GA.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++