Default Inflatable sleeping pad puncture worries?

I'm in the very early stages of planning a potential '17 PCT thru hike, and with the possibility for another adventure I can't help but start doing some research. One thing I've noticed is that some people avoid using an inflatable sleeping pad in the desert, as the risk of puncture is high. My only desert hiking experience was in the Grand Canyon, on a four day trip, so I figured I'd ask about it here. Is the risk of puncturing an inflatable really that high? I'm happy to carry a patch kit, and I figure I'll bring a very minimal foam pad to use for both extra insulation and an extra layer of protection from sharp objects. For anyone curious, I've got a synmat UL7 that I would likely bring. I appreciate any advice on the matter, especially from people with PCT experience. Hopefully I can keep from getting too excited until the decision to do the hike is finalized.

Thanks for the help

the risk is significant. you can patch them, but it usually means some (or at least one) bad nights sleep before you get it done right. Sometimes not easy to find enough water for full submerge to find the leak easily
    A pad underneath would cut the risk, but I would probably resupply myself with an inflatable further north so that I don't have to bother with that crap.

Journal Entries
    Images

Well a few ideas come to mind..... - maybe a sheet of tyvek underneath, perhaps a sheet of strong but light Cuben... I would suggest not inflating all the way... FYI most of the self inflating pads I bought ten years ago, are gone - nothing lasts forever.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

My experience in desert hiking is from my "pre-inflatable" days. I did have a number of thorns and other items stick into my closed cell pads, but I was not all that careful about where I put it, since it didn't do that much permanent damage, and closed cell foam pads are cheap.

I have spent a little over a month hiking on and around the JMT in the High Sierras with their sharp granite sand sites and some brutal conifer cones. I used an inflatable X-Therm with no problems. I always used a ground cloth underneath it and I policed the site prior to laying it out.

In your case, I think I might carry a blue foam pad to place underneath the inflatable for the desert section at least - peace of mind and all that. Plus, if you did ruin your inflatable, you would still have the closed cell pad to use. Or just use the closed cell pad, and mail the inflatable ahead.

I'm sure others will be along to contradict my opinions shortly.
    Last edited by Lyle; 04-06-2016 at 23:37.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    I'm in the very early stages of planning a potential '17 PCT thru hike, and with the possibility for another adventure I can't help but start doing some research. One thing I've noticed is that some people avoid using an inflatable sleeping pad in the desert, as the risk of puncture is high. My only desert hiking experience was in the Grand Canyon, on a four day trip, so I figured I'd ask about it here. Is the risk of puncturing an inflatable really that high? I'm happy to carry a patch kit, and I figure I'll bring a very minimal foam pad to use for both extra insulation and an extra layer of protection from sharp objects. For anyone curious, I've got a synmat UL7 that I would likely bring. I appreciate any advice on the matter, especially from people with PCT experience. Hopefully I can keep from getting too excited until the decision to do the hike is finalized.

Thanks for the help
    I've hiked a few thousand miles in the SoCal desert over the past few years. The entire time I've used a neoair xlite. I've had zero puntures.

Choose your site carefully. Use a ground sheet. I use tyvek because its cheap. Lay out your ground sheet, then lay down on it and feel for anything poking through. You're then good to go.

I should have clarified, I will be using a tyvek groundsheet, under a smaller foam pad, under the inflatable. When I do sleep in my tent (Tarptent Squall 2), I'll have the floor of that as an additional layer of protection, too.
    -Achilles
    AT '12

I should have clarified, I will be using a tyvek groundsheet, under a smaller foam pad, under the inflatable. When I do sleep in my tent (Tarptent Squall 2), I'll have the floor of that as an additional layer of protection, too.
    You should have no problems with that setup. I don't use a ground sheet but have a closed cell pad cut to fit underneath my Neoair. As mentioned, I place my foam pad down first then feel for anything that is poking up. My experience in SoCa is that you can find plenty of good sandy sites to setup without having to worry about thorns.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

I used a blue foam pad my first year but ditched it because I found it unnecessary. It is nice to have peace of mind just in case your inflatable leaks, but it doesnt seem cold enough on the PCT to really worry imo.

Also I had the blue pad strapped to the outside of my backpack. It gradually became smaller as pieces ripped while navigating parts of overgrown trail.

Journal Entries

I use my cuben groundsheet, raingear, maps, spare ziplocks, cuben stuffsaks, etc all under my xlite.....no problem yet. 1/8 " evazote works good too, but when used as sitpad in day can pick up needles in it. Lots of them

Don't confuse risk of puncturing an inflatable pad used in GC NP on main corridor trail campsites that have a lower risk IMHO of a puncture than the Mojave Desert on the PCT with IMO a higher risk of puncture with everything else being the same. I would take much closer notice of trail conditions ESPECIALLY SHARP POINTY VEGETATION in the Mojave to protect puncturing that same inflatable pad used in GC NP. All "deserts" are not equal!

As Lonehiker said though, one can certainly use an inflatable on the PCT through the Mojave without pad failure if some considerations are applied. It's much more windy for PCTers than in GC NP so be careful your pad(and other gear) doesn't blow into a Joshua Tree clump, other cacti(several to be concerned with!), manzanita, chapparal, etc. Find a soft sandy clear spot in the Mojave preferably with a wind break and you shouldn't have much problem with a puncture IF you examine the site first for sharp objects which is what you should be doing wherever your using an inflatable pad anyway.

If all that concerned bring along a tiny tube(1/4 oz) of Mcnetts Seam Grip or buy it along the way for a 2hr patch. On trail take along a couple Tenacious Tape patches. Again, the Mojave has nice soft sandy places to sleep so you might even forgo an inflatable pad. jus dish out the spot where your hip falls if you're a side sleeper. Jus use a ground cloth. IMHO , the PCT in So Cal is optimal weather conditions in general to cowboy camp or tarp anyhow going more minimalistic than most ATers would. Observe. Consider. Adapt. Adjust. Reset. Hike. Repeat.

GAME 06

Some might consider you have gone way past what is necessary. I just finished the AZT (last fall and this spring) and most of that trail has big issues with puncture risks. But I and a significant percentage of the people I saw were using inflatable pads. My hiking companion and I both were and we use cuben fiber tents with no extra ground sheets or foam pads. 1 puncture between us in a total of 1600 miles. Easily fixed. Just examine the ground before you set up and be careful with your gear and you will be fine - cactus needles often blow downwind from the plants. Carry the patch kit and you can often find the holes without needing to put the pad under water. BTW the patch kit weighs a lot less than the extra ground sheet and pad. I wold consider leaving them behind.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post
    Some might consider you have gone way past what is necessary. I just finished the AZT (last fall and this spring) and most of that trail has big issues with puncture risks. But I and a significant percentage of the people I saw were using inflatable pads. My hiking companion and I both were and we use cuben fiber tents with no extra ground sheets or foam pads. 1 puncture between us in a total of 1600 miles. Easily fixed. Just examine the ground before you set up and be careful with your gear and you will be fine - cactus needles often blow downwind from the plants. Carry the patch kit and you can often find the holes without needing to put the pad under water. BTW the patch kit weighs a lot less than the extra ground sheet and pad. I wold consider leaving them behind.
    +1/ I, too did the AZT with an inflatable (X-Therm) and had no punctures. One only needs be careful in selecting a campsite. I used a Zpacks cuben groundsheet inside my Hexamid+.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

You probably won't need to worry about puncturing in your sleep. But you won't have an easy way to whip out a comfortable place to sit when you take a break. This is why I just use a z-rest on the PCT and save my inflatable for local/shorter trips.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

I punctured mine the first night, at Moreno campground. I think it was due to ghost spurs that I carelessly tracked into my tent. Just walking a few steps in my camp shoes there, and those shoes would be loaded with those things.
    After Moreno, I didn't notice any more of these, at least up to Warner Springs. ..

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by handlebar View Post
    +1/ I, too did the AZT with an inflatable (X-Therm) and had no punctures. One only needs be careful in selecting a campsite. I used a Zpacks cuben groundsheet inside my Hexamid+.

Same results here. I got one puncture from the wind catching my inflatable when cowboy camping sending send it flying into some cacti.

Most of my hikes go into the desert, and I'm using Thermarest inflatables exclusively. Punctures just happen. If you check the ground very carefully you may avoid them quite OK, but most likely you are not that careful verey time you spread out the mat.
    I've had so many punctures already that I stopped counting. Now having "some" experience in this topic, I can fix many a puncture without water. Most punctures happen in the hip and the shoulder area. And many times, if there is a puncture on the bottom side, the thorn very likely stung through to the top side too.
    Had bad experience with an original Thermarest repair kit, now I'm using medical tape. Works very fast and simple.
    My recent Thermarest has a tiny leak I didn't care to find yet, leaving the mat half-flat after the better part of the night, so I have to refill it just in time with the pee break.

++ New Posts ++