WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Can't upload 12-18 PDF map. Batona map.jpg
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    Wonderful information! I think it is time to start thinking about adding this hike to plans for this fall. I really like the idea of making this a loop. Are there any specific maps that stand out for these trails? Or, am I good to go with whatever maps I end up with?

Yeah...ticks. Yuck! I treat my dogs year round and tick checking is just part of the normal routine. At least the winter of '14-'15 got dang cold and was a deterrent for some of the little buggers. This past winter was a lot warmer. The local vet said the tick issues never really stopped this past winter, so this year should be something else. Yippee
    Unfortunately, there don't seem to be any Official Maps or guides for the trail - there are only relatively useless pamphlets that the Parks Dept. puts out, which (as of a few months ago) were out of date, with a rather sizable section eliminating a road walk inserted in as a separate photocopied piece of paper.

Your best bet is to look at Kayak Karl's posting, and gps tracks. They are much better than the materials you get at the Ranger Stations where you sign up for campsites.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Schnitzel View Post
    Unfortunately, there don't seem to be any Official Maps or guides for the trail - there are only relatively useless pamphlets that the Parks Dept. puts out, which (as of a few months ago) were out of date, with a rather sizable section eliminating a road walk inserted in as a separate photocopied piece of paper.

Your best bet is to look at Kayak Karl's posting, and gps tracks. They are much better than the materials you get at the Ranger Stations where you sign up for campsites.
    I can email topo map to anyone. It was made from my GPS tracks and is up to date. Has camp blue blazes also. [email protected]

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Previous WB Batona Tr threads contain these maps. Some of the SP maps are done well enough combined with following the trail signs and pink blazes. Maybe it's me but I never found the BT hard to follow even before the better blazing and KK' s map tracks.

Journal Entries
    Images

Well here is the MAP and there is no worries... Just park and hike. I set up a hammock and took a dog multiple times. The location off season is very cold... ,,, this location is huge with hammock's folks. Enjoy the trip.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Oh I remember Wharton was a lot of fun there are lots of side trails from the cranberry days and the odd part is the beavers re-arrange parts of the trail.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Previous WB Batona Tr threads contain these maps. Some of the SP maps are done well enough combined with following the trail signs and pink blazes. Maybe it's me but I never found the BT hard to follow even before the better blazing and KK' s map tracks.
    Cool beans. It kind of looked like the basic map would be fine. I just thought I would pose the question "is the one golden map to rule them all?" I am not worried about wandering off the trail. I just like having maps along with me for my own personal notes.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Schnitzel View Post

Thank you! I have been out and about most of the weekend and have not yet had the chance to email KK. I will definitely do so.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    I can email topo map to anyone. It was made from my GPS tracks and is up to date. Has camp blue blazes also. [email protected]

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Wonderful! Thanks for the kind offer, kk! I have been out and about most of the weekend and will most likely shoot you an email tomorrow.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    Wonderful! Thanks for the kind offer, kk! I have been out and about most of the weekend and will most likely shoot you an email tomorrow.
    look above - click on MAP there you are.

Woo

How well did the trail handle the recent storms in NJ? I am considering going out this weekend and early next week but am still undecided. Also how is the shuttle situation down there and where can one park?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    i have never seen so many ticks in my life -- and the trail is fairly overgrown and poorly blazed in places.
    This matches my experience from hiking in Pine Barrens.

Here is a zoomable map of the trail based on OpenStreetMap data: https://hiking.waymarkedtrails.org/#....7738!-74.5531 - for best viewing experience change base layer to OpenTopo in map settings (gear icon at the bottom.) You can download it as gpx when you click on Routes button.

In all my yrs hiking and wandering woods and Mts never have I seen as many ticks than in parts of the Pinelands. Ozark Highlands tr comes in a distant second. After saying that 4 yrs ago during the peak of tick season treated clothing with permethrin, wore light colored clothing, treated skin with picaridin, and 2x-3x daily tick checks having no issues.

Again, Back to Nature Tr -Batona- is much easier to follow with improved blazing and signage than 5 yrs ago.

As said alternates and loops are possible.

CHIGGERS in the summer were brutal. If you're doing it in warm weather cover up. I suffered for weeks after. Other than that- It's flat and very easy to do big miles. Overgrown in many places and quite dry, at least the section I did so be ready to carry water. I actually walked along a road section to find an extra plastic bottle. Love south jersey but be ready for the bugs!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++