Default Microspikes/ice axe for San Jacinto area?

If I'm leaving April 27th of this year from Campo, should I send my microspikes and ice axe to Paradise cafe? Or would that be overkill?

nah, it's not that steep. plus, I think it faces south. may get some snow to walk on but 97% of PCTers could manage. If for some reason you're doing a blazing fast NOBO getting to SJ way ahead of everyone maybe. But then, you wouldn't likely be asking this question. it's at the steeper Sierra passes with deeper snowpack and/or with a very early Sierra entry date some want that gear especially on passes that hold the snowpack. mind you I havent been micro managing umm watching the snowpack. to each his own though. My thought is you'd be carrying more than using it 99 % of the time. being way out front in a heavy snow yr I'd be more concerned with steep shady Baaden Powell. Sometime the switchbacks up BP are still obliterated under snowpack that can be icy in the morn especially if the snowpack is deep and hasn't been melting fast it can linger a bit. .

Images

I agree with Dogwood. The main reason SJ has the bad reputation is because it is the first snow encountered by many of the hikers. BP is super easy, straight up and possibly some snow on the ridge. If I had to chose one over the other, it would be micro spikes. It could be useful in timing. It could allow you to traverse some of the snow earlier in the morning when the snow could be rock hard. Later in the day when it softens you can kick steps if needed.

Ok I figured I probably would not need them in that area, considering how late I'm starting. Thanks!

I just hiked through there yesterday and today. Made it safely with trail runners and trekking poles. Should be mostly snowless by the time you get there.

I just hiked Fuller Ridge a couple days ago. It's north facing and solid snow. I really liked having microspikes. I didn't have to think at all, just hike. I think in a month the snow will be melted enough that you won't need any microspikes. I've done Fuller Ridge twice now when it has had patchy snow wearing Chaco sandals both times and it was fine.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Well Mrs D you're a hippie sandal hiking snow crunching desert rat Cali native. Woo hoo.

++ New Posts ++