WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Suggestions for 3 day backpacking trip in May

We're hoping to do a 3 day backpacking trip in California, anywhere south of Napa, the second week of May. We've got some decent backpacking skills, but haven't hiked at higher elevations. Highest was just over 8,000 feet in Idaho. Longest trip was 24 days. We are slower hikers, and like to keep mileage around 8 miles a day, but can do 10 if there isn't a lot of elevation change on that day.

I know we're a bit late for permits, but thought we'd give it a go. We'd really love recommendations, as we're from the midwest and aren't familiar with the area. We looked at the national parks, but the snow seems to keep most backpacking trails closed. We're having trouble ferreting anything out. We certainly aren't limited to the big parks, though. Any favorite short trips are welcome suggestions. Thanks!

Images

I did an overnight in Emigrant Wilderness, Stanislaus Nat'l Forest, and it was absolutely beautiful. Parked at Crabtree Camp, hiked 4 miles to Bear Lake. From there you can continue East to Piute Meadow or Gem Lake. Here's a map with distances: http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...m91_057634.gif

And here's the Forest Service page: http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/stani...a/?recid=15107

camp lake 2.JPG

It definitely is beautiful, Acacia. Unfortunately, it looks like the road to crabtree camp is closed, likely due to snow. This is what we're coming up against in all of our inquiries so far. It's just not an easy time for backpacking.

Images

Ah, I see. Here are others: Big Sur, Point Reyes National Seashore, Big Basin Redwood State Park, Mendocino National Forest. All these should have open roads and the wildflowers may be spectacular this year with the rain.

++ New Posts ++