WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default April 16-17 - Flip Flop Festival: Celebrating the A.T. in Harpers Ferry & Bolivar

The Flip Flop Festival is just a week away!

There are so many elements to this weekend event, which has expanded significantly from last year. The event is meant to encourage ways to enjoy the A.T. that spread out use and celebrate Harpers Ferry as a great place to begin hikes of any length.

• Food
    • Workshops
    • Music
    • Giveaways
    • Games
    • Guided Hikes
    • Leave No Trace education
    • Billy Bison appearance
    • film showing Saturday evening: Trail Magic: The Grandma Gatewood Story, with director Peter Huston.

Presenters and volunteers include:

• Kerry "Tree" Iliff ('15 flip-flopper)
    • Lauralee "Blissful" Bliss (2x 2,000-miler)
    • Heather "Brave"
    • Jim "Sisu" Fetig (GA-ME '14 - October start)
    • Judy "Judo" McGuire (GA-ME '07)
    • Max "Bearbag" Mishkin (GA-ME '14)
    • Odie (GA-ME '13)
    • Will Poe ('15 flip-flopper)
    • Dottie "Dot.com" Rust (1900 mile section-hiker)
    • Ryan "Castanada" Seltzer ('09 3-part, Bear Mtn. start flip-flop)
    • James "Mayhem" Smyle (GA-ME '93, '16 flip-flopper)
    • Pam Underhill
    • Wolf ~ 23,000 miles (AT, PCT, etc.)

Wolf, Blissful, and Bearbag will be doing pack shakedowns.

We're still looking for volunteers who can assist with parking. If you can help out for a few hours, please email [email protected]. (He'll be out of the office until Tuesday).

All the details are at www.appalachiantrail.org/flipflop. We also have a Flip Flop Festival Event on Facebook, where you can indicate you are going, show you're interested, and invite friends.

Help us spread the word!

Laurie P.
    ATC
    [email protected]

I'm planning to be there! And I might have a couple extra seats in the car for anyone who needs a ride from along I 81. I'll be coming from southwest VA. Leaving Friday afternoon, coming back early Monday AM. Looking forward to it!

KnightErrant,

Great to hear you'll be coming!

For those interested,

We've already had more than a dozen flip-floppers starting their thru-hikes from Harpers Ferry. In the last few days we've had three sets of couples, including one couple from Switzerland.

If anyone is planning on participating in the guided hikes on Sunday (History Hike starting from ATC at 10:00 am; Weverton Cliffs Hike at 10:00 and 2:00, directions for rendezvous spot to be provided), please pre-register at www.appalachiantrail.org/flipflop as soon as possible.

Images

Laurie, thanks for the update.

I will be attending the kick-off again this year. Last year I hiked with you up to the first parking area and I'll never forget the sandwiches you brought out to a few of us on the third day into the hike. Very much appreciated! After the activity in HF I'll be starting where I left off last year, at the 501 Shelter in PA. Hope to see you this coming weekend. Again, thank you for your amazing effort. You're the best!
    Simple is good.

Carbo,

Great to hear you'll be returning! Funny how you can spend such a short time together on the A.T. and feel like old friends :-)

Glad to see the weather is cooperating (the forecast has kept flip-flopping, and along with it, my heart).

- Laurie

Images

And to the class of 2016 Flip Floppers, don't forget to ask at the ATC Visitors Center for your special Flip Flop pin...free to all who carry an Appalachian Trail Passport.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Registered User displacedbeatnik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    And to the class of 2016 Flip Floppers, don't forget to ask at the ATC Visitors Center for your special Flip Flop pin...free to all who carry an Appalachian Trail Passport.
    Sweet. This is for all flip-floppers and not just the ones starting from the festival on the 17th, right?
    AT Leapfrogging in 2016i (Central Virginia next) http://walkinghometodc.wordpress.com

Images

Default April 16-17 - Flip Flop Festival: Celebrating the A.T. in Harpers Ferry & Bolivar

All Flip floppers are eligible regardless of where or when you start.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

It's so exciting! Flip-floppers have been arriving into Harpers Ferry by car, plane, train, and on foot! A few started in Shenandoah a couple of weeks ago and are here now.

Yesterday evening 5 flip-floppers rode in by train from DC, meeting each other for the first time.

We have a small army of dedicated volunteers (and a few dedicated ATC staff members) who have been working very hard for days (and in some cases months) to get Harpers Ferry and ATC ready for the festival. It's all coming together!

Hope we'll be seeing some WhiteBlazers this weekend!

Lots of free things happening: free music, free workshops, free games, free raffles. We have a dozen vendors; the Odd Fellows is selling hot dogs and hamburgers, a food truck selling veggie and chicken options, and an ice cream truck. Oh, and parking is free, even in the Harpers Ferry National Historical park lots and entrances, because it's National Park Week.

Sunday will be quieter, but with a comprehensive thru-hiking workshop, guided hikes, and a book-signing of Hiking Through History.

The core purpose of this festival is to promote sustainable use of the A.T., by raising awareness of alternative itineraries for thru-hikes that spread out use. We're also providing hiking and Leave No Trace education, but we're making sure fun is also an essential ingredient of the festival too!

Check out www.appalachiantrail.org/flipflop for the latest details!

Registered User displacedbeatnik's Avatar

I had a great time yesterday meeting some trail legends and getting some last minute tips before my flip flop (too many home commitments prevented me from making it today). Thanks to the ATC for hosting this!
    AT Leapfrogging in 2016i (Central Virginia next) http://walkinghometodc.wordpress.com

++ New Posts ++