WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Folks who have never been to the White Mountains or north of there may have a hard time understanding the terrain.

The upper third or half of the mountains are either bare and flat (rocky ridges) or bare and steep, or steep and impossibly uneven and covered with insanely dense, stunted growth (krumholz.) On the steeps you will be severely challenged to find enough even ground for a tent, and the growth will give you no cover whatsoever (nor place to hang a hammock.)

Yes, you can find safe and legal camping in the hardwoods, but the hardwoods end a couple thousand feet below the summits.

There are several non-hut options, eg. Liberty Springs Campsite, Garfield Ridge, Ethan Pond Shelter, Guyot, The Perch, Imp, etc. These provide (safe, legal) refuge without requiring quite as much descent.

I tend to destroy fire rings where I find them. A section of the Grafton Notch Loop Trail I adopted has prominent "no open fires" signs prominently displayed, but somebody always thinks it doesn't apply to them.

Images

Personally, I don't see why destroying these little sites is a good thing. While I would never, ever, create my own fire ring, I like these little out of the way places because it gives the hiker options. I personally don't enjoy crowded campsites and crowded shelters...**** that, I'd rather stealth camp before I subjected myself to all that crowding....I'd much rather stay at these little sites along the way....and like I said, to me, they aren't an eye sore, they are inviting....just MHO

Personally, I don't see it as a big deal if anyone destroys a fireplace, they are so easy to make; just doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by fabianscorpio View Post
    Personally, I don't see why destroying these little sites is a good thing. While I would never, ever, create my own fire ring, I like these little out of the way places because it gives the hiker options. I personally don't enjoy crowded campsites and crowded shelters...**** that, I'd rather stealth camp before I subjected myself to all that crowding....I'd much rather stay at these little sites along the way....and like I said, to me, they aren't an eye sore, they are inviting....just MHO
    Some fire rings ARE inviting, some aren't. Depending on gigantica size and ash build-up etcetera. What irritates me is finding a wonderful campsite with a wonderful established fire ring and finding a second fire ring nearby and build on the best tent spot in the whole camp. What, guys can't use the one already there and have to build another 20 feet away?? Very odd.

Here's one of the biggest rock firepits I've ever seen---at Bard Falls on the North Harper Creek trail in Pisgah NF. Ginormity.

Journal Entries

Some good looking hammock hangs would put me right over the fire pit in Georgia. Haven't done it yet, but the day is young. Most are pretty minor, but there's a slightly epic one atop Rocky Mtn, I'll have to get a picture next time.
    hikers gonna hike

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    I tend to destroy fire rings where I find them. A section of the Grafton Notch Loop Trail I adopted has prominent "no open fires" signs prominently displayed, but somebody always thinks it doesn't apply to them.
    Yup, I dismantle a couple of fire rings each year in Connecticut, there is a full fireban on A.T. in the state, but people keep building them...and these idiots usually build them in the center of the better tent sites.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries

It is a little humorous at some of these sites. There's three or four fire rings sprinkled all around. Hawk Mtn is especially bad as I recall. I always picture them lit all lit at once, but that's absurd. I wouldn't mind a ban in Georgia...maybe I'll start dismantling them. Give me something to do when I have the energy:/
    hikers gonna hike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++