WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Earliest SOBO thru-hike start 2016

YO!
    DATA here. Heading out on my triple crown hike this spring/summer. Was going to head NOBO but decided to forgo the crowds for a SOBO hike. It looks like snowpack in the northeast is at a very low level. My question is what would be the earliest reasonable start date for a SOBO hike this year given the current snowpack? also, i am very comfortable with travel on snow as well as fording swollen rivers. Was thinking June 1st? Thanks for the advice and hope to see you out there!
    Happy trails!

Images

Are you thinking of attempting a calendar year triple crown? If so then you are off to a very questionable start.

FWIW (most likely not much) -- it was a stream crossing on Kinsman (NH) that ended a day hike for me, two weekends ago. I think it's called Cascade Brook. I got wary of rock-hopping across ice-glazed rocks with crampons, with deep icy water rushing between them. In a more normal year, long ago, I was turned back by icy streams on Memorial Day.

After the ice melts you have mud. Once the mud firms up you have bugs.

Just found this link, with several current and relevant reports, by searching google for "maine hiking conditions"

http://www.newenglandtrailconditions.com/me/

The ice up here is really bad this year. I bailed on a hike yesterday in the Mahoosucs because my son didn't have any traction aids with him. Above 3000 feet the trail was solid ice. June 1st you should be OK, as long as the Summit of Katahdin is open. The fords in Maine are going to be ice cold. The bugs are going to be bad, expect it. Treat your clothing with permethrin and bring deet and expect to use a lot of it.

I have a feeling with the low snow fall, the trails should dry out fairly quickly. They haven't seemed to be too muddy this year.

If you want to start on Katahdin, your going to have to wait until they open up the trails which is no earlier then May 15th. June 1st is a typical date for starting a SOBO. If you want to start much earlier, like soon, start south of Vermont and flip back later.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Thanks for the advice all. Im
    going to shoot for June 1st unless katahdin is closed. And for the record, I'm mortal, only 1 trail per year... Haha
    DATA
    pct 12
    cdt 14
    at 16

Will Probably see you there: I fly in to Bangor 1 June (pickup & lodging by Phil Pepin http://100milewilderness.info/ ). Will climb Katahdin morning of 2 June. Have Katahdin Campground Reservation for evening of 2. First day on trail morning of 3 June. Safe travels

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DATADAX View Post
    Thanks for the advice all. Im
    going to shoot for June 1st unless katahdin is closed. And for the record, I'm mortal, only 1 trail per year... Haha
    DATA
    pct 12
    cdt 14
    at 16
    Ahhh, So you are finishing your TC. Have a great hike and congrats in advance.

This is my same thinking! lol I fly into Portland on the 29th from Memphis . Hooking up with some friends for 2 days and then hiking Katahdin on june 2 and then starting the trail on the 3rd.

Good luck man! I start the triple next year with the AT SoBo. We plan on harassing the Baxter Park Rangers starting in May to get a feeling of how things are progressing.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    The fords in Maine are going to be ice cold.
    Doesn't that apply to most water in Maine, no matter what time of year?

DATA, take a look at the info here:
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...-southbounders
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

++ New Posts ++