WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Sock Liners - Yay or Nay?

I have never tried sock liners before but I do see quite a bit of gear videos showing hikers with them. I do wear Darn Tough low cut socks with trail running shoes. I currently do not have any issues with that setup but I have not fully put my feet to the test of a thru hike which I will be doing soon. What's your thoughts on sock liners... Yay or Nay?

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

It's personal preference...

...I personally can't stand using them.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Almost never hike without them ... has worked well for me for 45+ years ... but if what you are doing works for you, stick with it. Or as my father (and many fathers) would say ... "It it ain't broke, don't fix it"

I used to say yay, now I say nay, but it also depends, mostly a winter thing for comfort.

Journal Entries

If u need them, use them
    If u dont, dont

Pretty simple

If you have to ask, you need to get out and hike and find out if you need them.

I wear them as my socks, and I don't wear socks over them. I love the Injinji toe sock liners. Coomax material keeps my feet from getting too hot, and I haven't had a blister since making the switch.

http://www.injinji.com/liner-crew.html
    "Not many miles, but a whole lot of smiles." Vegan Packer

Images

I wore them with big heavy all leather boots and I still got blisters. When I switched to trail runners and wool socks I no longer needed liners.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Only in winter, otherwise not needed imho

I never had a blister in 850 miles on the AT and I used sock liners. Since then I've occasionally gotten a blister on a weekend trip when I haven't worn them. A cheap substitute, or if you just want to try it, buy some nylon dress socks at Walmart for a couple bucks...its the same thing.

I've always had a problem with blisters under my toes on long distance hikes. My foot surgeon took X-rays of my feet, and it's just a matter of the way the bones are formed in my toes. I started wearing Injinji liners, the kind that fit over the toes like a glove, and I've never had a blister since.

So it depends on every persons feet as to whether a liner is needed; everyone's feet are different.

I wear Darn Tough socks with my trail runners. I normally don't wear liners. but once tried Injinji toe sock liners and noticed no difference in my feet after hiking. I guess there really wasn't anything to fix to start with.

Registered User displacedbeatnik's Avatar

I have a big problem personally with sore spots by my big toenails on a regular basis (and yes I keep them cut). Since I started wearing Injinjis, this has gone away while hiking. So it all depends. But I recommend trying injinjis if you get toe pain for sure.
    AT Leapfrogging in 2016i (Central Virginia next) http://walkinghometodc.wordpress.com

For me it depends on which socks I wear over them -- pretty much always with wool socks. I don't use socks actually marketed as liners though, I use trouser socks (women's size 6.5 so I usually buy them from the little boys' section).

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

It is definitely a trial and error thing, which is too bad. My system has evolved into toe sock liners with a thick wool sock over. The effect of the toes in the socks is that they keep the liner anchored so it doesn't slide around on my foot, then the relative movement is between the liner sock and the wool sock Works for me better than anything else I've tried.
    "Waning Gibbous" would be a great trail name.

Images

As noted, it's a personal decision based on trial and error. For ME, they seem to work. I may have "warm spots" by the end of the day, but by morning, my feet are ready to go again with no real damage. I should note that I always wear wool socks - summer or winter - and can notice a lack of full-blown blisters when wearing liners under my wool socks. (My take on it is that the liners tend to conform tightly to my feet, so that the liners - and not my skin - are what rubs against the wool socks. YMMV)
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

Just one more thing to stink. Train only wearing one pair of socks and your feet will adapt.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

For me adding injinji toe sock liners stopped 95% of blisters. I was having problems with blisters between my toes.

yay,Injinji. Stops that crooked toes nail from digging into the neighbor toe too. Till you have a chance to clip it.

279.6 Miler (Tanyard Gap) CamelMan's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Packer View Post
    I wear them as my socks, and I don't wear socks over them. I love the Injinji toe sock liners. Coomax material keeps my feet from getting too hot, and I haven't had a blister since making the switch.
    That's so crazy that it just might work. I don't have blister problems but it would be worth a try for comfort since I walk right through streams and puddles. It's not like I need the warmth most of the time.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Even merino wool makes my feet itch. I wear the thinnest nylon or polyester dress socks that I can find as liners. Works pretty well. In winter I wear a vapor barrier between them and my socks.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++