WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by CamelMan View Post
    That's so crazy that it just might work. I don't have blister problems but it would be worth a try for comfort since I walk right through streams and puddles. It's not like I need the warmth most of the time.
    In warmer weather, I usually wear TWO pair of sock liners. My feet sweat really badly and tend to stay cooler with two thin pair of socks. Plus blisters are usually non-existent.

For me it depends on the weather and the terrain. I generally use them in the cooler months for sure and when I'm trudging through snow.

Images

Not for me. One of the factors in blisters is heat. Thin socks plus well-ventilated running shoes or Chacos are my summer wear.

Winter is another matter altogether.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

Similar to the "boxer/brief" "arguments", purely personal preference.

"Yay" for me.

I have used liners (fox river brand these days) for a couple decades, pretty much since they came out, and I never, ever get blisters, so there is no way I'd change anything 'cause it ain't broke. It's nice having a two-layer sock system, many times I'll just wear liners, most times both (I think liners keep my feet cool, not hot), rarely only the main socks.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    Even merino wool makes my feet itch. I wear the thinnest nylon or polyester dress socks that I can find as liners. Works pretty well. In winter I wear a vapor barrier between them and my socks.
    I'm making the change this season from wool to the thinner dress socks, worn as an outer pair over Injinji liners. Wool over liners left my feet very hot, and tended to stay wet too long. I'm hoping the dress socks will be cooler and dry more quickly.

I wanted nylon, but the local stores only have black or white. I found a brown and tan color on the JC Penney website.

Some people swear by sock liners, other swear at them. I use liners 100% of the time on trail, because my feet do better with them. Thin synthetic ones in warm weather, and thin merino ones in cold weather. Usually hike in trail runners (except in winter snow). You should try with and without on relatively high mileage days while carrying a pack and see what works for you.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

I have found wearing them inside out helps. It puts the raw edge of the toe seam away from my toes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

My favorite answer...wait for it...”It depends”. A personal decision based on experience, shoe type, and sometimes weather. I stopped using them when I switched from leather boots to lightweight hiking shoes. Proper fitting shoes and a lighter pack alleviated the need for them.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go." John Muir

Images

A friend who is an FBI sniper shared a Special Forces trick, women's knee high panty hose with foot powder. Started this routine like 5 years ago, no blisters since. None. Before that, every hike I got blisters

I always wear them--never had a blister. The outside sock moves with the boot--the inside sock stays put with my foot. No rubbing, no blister.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Packer View Post
    I wear them as my socks, and I don't wear socks over them. I love the Injinji toe sock liners. Coomax material keeps my feet from getting too hot, and I haven't had a blister since making the switch.

http://www.injinji.com/liner-crew.html
    I just did 37.5 miles in 1 day using Injinji toes socks and did not have a blister, whereas I used to always get them before. They are great for me!

Wouldn't hike without them. Section hiked for 4 years and have never had a blister!

Sometimes liners make my feet feel like they are slipping around in my boot. I generally just use REI wool socks; good price and really tough compared to many other brands I have worn out.

I used Ininji liners and loved them! My early thru-hike blisters were no more once I started using liners and a touch of Body Glide.
    Great blog site for new and/or female hikers! www.appalachiantrailclarity.com

Liners in boots, wool socks when in trail runners. My own go-to scheme. I can put up with the extra washing and stink. I wear boots in colder temps and more challenging terrain. I always, always use Gold-Bond powder.

Used to get blisters..tried liners and seemed to help but have since ditched them and just lube up my feet and toes every morning with skin glide..works great even coming off the couch to doing 20+ days...liners were a pita as I always air out my feet mid day while breaking to eat...more crap to put back on...2 pair of DT socks that I wash and alternate daily has made a huge difference for ME.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like "wright sock" so it should be mentioned that it has a double wall (if you will) and therefore is really like a sock and liner combo. Pretty darn comfortable sock I think.

Has anybody mentioned using antipersprant on your feet to help keep them dryer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++