WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The Breakfast Bomb - My New Favorite Breakfast Drink On The Trail

This breakfast drink recipe may not be new to readers on this forum but I wanted to reshare it with anyone who may have missed it before.

I got this recipe without the measurements off one of the WB forum posts but can't seem to find the source.

Before I tried it, I was dreading it. I thought it was going to be tough to swallow but figured I would just "get it down" and be done with it.

Boy, was I wrong. It is delicious. I couldn't wait to drink it each morning.

The best part is that only water is needed and no stove.

Breakfast Bomb Recipe

4 Tablespoons Nestle Nido whole dry milk powder
    1 Tablespoon Whey protein powder
    1 Tablespoon Hershey Cocoa powder
    1-2 packets Nescafe instant coffee

10 ounces cold water

Bottle with closable lid such as a Nalgene bottle.

Directions

I put all the ingredients into a fold and close plastic bag and then tied the end closed. It looks like a little bomb hence the Breakfast Bomb.

To use, I bite open one corner of the bag and pour it into my Nalgene bottle with 10 ounces of water. Then close the lid tight and shake, shake, shake and it will be ready to drink.

You get your breakfast and coffee fix all in one serving.

If anyone else has a trail drink recipe they enjoy, I would love to see it.

Carl
    Last edited by cneill13; 04-13-2016 at 12:11.

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

that's awesome!!!

Thanks for sharing. I thought about bringing something like this on a section hike a few years ago but ended up with pop tarts. I may try this for a WRR hike I am doing this summer.

Since you asked, here is my favorite trail drink recipe:

- Open whiskey
    - Pour directly in mouth
    - Swallow
    - Repeat

Thanks for the share, that sounds tasty! Definitely giving this a go on my next hike!

I may try something like this, too, since heating and eating oatmeal seams to be a waste of time and fuel... I'm hungry an hour later.

Mocha Frappucino?

Images

I do something similar, instant coffee and a few packets of dark chocolate cocoa. I lean much more toward carbs vs. protein especially early in the day.

Not a bad mix, but pretty high protein. I would boost the fat content, probably with coconut. If you boost the fat early on you will not be hungry for most of the day. If you eat carbs you will be starved in 2 hours (plus all the other unhealthy effects of carbs).

I don't like the taste (or smell, even) of coffee, so this wouldn't work for me. I wake up feeling nauseated early in the morning, especially when hiking. That makes it realllly hard to eat something for breakfast, even though I know I need it. I'd love a breakfast drink that would give me energy to hike, maybe be a fruit flavored something, and give me an energy boost. Anyone have ideas for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Trailweaver View Post
    I don't like the taste (or smell, even) of coffee, so this wouldn't work for me. I wake up feeling nauseated early in the morning, especially when hiking. That makes it realllly hard to eat something for breakfast, even though I know I need it. I'd love a breakfast drink that would give me energy to hike, maybe be a fruit flavored something, and give me an energy boost. Anyone have ideas for that?
    I haven't tried this, just thought of it after reading your post, but maybe something like Tang+Emergen-C or ZipFizz? And if you want to add protein maybe add in some vanilla protein powder to make it taste like a creamsicle? Just a thought. Good luck!

What I evolved to on the trail: 2 packs of carnation instant breakfast (chocolate or vanilla) and two packs of instant coffee. Calorie bomb and caffeine sweet and easy. I drank it hot but cold works too.

I do something similar, but also add a scoop of pb and a packet of instant oatmeal. Pushes the calorie count close to 1,000 if done properly. I dubbed it the CDT Smoothie on my thru back in '14. I'd just mix everything up before breaking camp, by the time I was ready to roll out everything would be pretty much softened and dissolved, ready to chug. I use a 32oz Nalgene, add ingredients and fill with water. High calorie and hydration in one shot. YUM!

Quote Originally Posted by cneill13 View Post
    This breakfast drink recipe may not be new to readers on this forum but I wanted to reshare it with anyone who may have missed it before.

I got this recipe without the measurements off one of the WB forum posts but can't seem to find the source.

Before I tried it, I was dreading it. I thought it was going to be tough to swallow but figured I would just "get it down" and be done with it.

Boy, was I wrong. It is delicious. I couldn't wait to drink it each morning.

The best part is that only water is needed and no stove.

Breakfast Bomb Recipe

4 Tablespoons Nestle Nido whole dry milk
    1 Tablespoon Whey protein powder
    1 Tablespoon Hershey Cocoa powder
    1-2 packets Nescafe instant coffee

10 ounces cold water

Bottle with closable lid such as a Nalgene bottle.

Directions

I put all the ingredients into a fold and close plastic bag and then tied the end closed. It looks like a little bomb hence the Breakfast Bomb.

To use, I bite open one corner of the bag and pour it into my Nalgene bottle with 10 ounces of water. Then close the lid tight and shake, shake, shake and it will be ready to drink.

You get your breakfast and coffee fix all in one serving.

If anyone else has a trail drink recipe they enjoy, I would love to see it.

Carl
    I have been making this as my morning meal for a few years now. it rocks!. I use full fat milk powder in addition to the whey protein fur the extra fat Rocdoc mentioned. I follow this with second breakfast after hiking an hour or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One note on the breakfast bomb that I forgot to include, use Nescafe instant coffee with cream and sugar already added or else add a tablespoon of sugar to the recipe above.

Carl

Does the regular consumption of whey give you gas?

Whey, as a protein source, can been replaced by real whole foods like brown rice(other rices too, much more nutritional value than white rice) & beans, lentils, chickpeas, quinoa, nuts, seeds, nut/seed butters, etc or perhaps the protein in hemp, chia, spirulina, nutritional yeast, tempeh,… Ingredients like hemp, chia, nut/seed butters, and spirulina can all be incorporated into a version of your "breakfast bomb."

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Does the regular consumption of whey give you gas?

Whey, as a protein source, can been replaced by real whole foods like brown rice(other rices too, much more nutritional value than white rice) & beans, lentils, chickpeas, quinoa, nuts, seeds, nut/seed butters, etc or perhaps the protein in hemp, chia, spirulina, nutritional yeast, tempeh,… Ingredients like hemp, chia, nut/seed butters, and spirulina can all be incorporated into a version of your "breakfast bomb."
    I usually get my gas at roadside whey stations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm glad the recipe calls for Nescafé instant coffee. It would be a terrible waste to use decent coffee.
    I'll pass on this concoction.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I'm going to start incorporating this into my "regular" life too! I'm a night-shifter and can't often stand the idea of eating after about 11pm (problematic when you work 12hr nights- I often end up eating only one meal a day- not good). Protein and caffeine in a quick shake to slug down, love it!

Journal Entries
    Images

Awesome........................................... ......
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

++ New Posts ++